Hi All

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Johnnyu
Novice

Hi All

Post by Johnnyu »

Hey everybody, my name is Johnny and it’s great to be here. I originally got interested in distilling when my uncle who made the best grappa I’ve ever had passed away last year. So my main reason was and still is to make my own. I have a simple 5 gallon pot still with a thumper. It’s far from fancy but does the job so far for my liking.

After reading everything I could mainly from this site I’ve made everything from sugar washes to all grain. However, yet to make any grappa at all, as my wife has pointed out on several occasions. I found so many great recipes from the tried and true section that it temporarily steered me away from my original interest.

Thank you everybody for your hard work, time and commitment to the art, I've learned so much from you all.

Thanks,
Johnny
Buffalo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Hi All

Post by Buffalo »

Welcome Johnny, good luck on the grappa. I have a few vines maybe someday there will be enough to try some.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Welcome, did your uncle leave you his recipe?
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

Welcome aboard man. Have fun and stay safe.
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sadie33 »

hello and welcome! It's funny how reading the T&T recipes can bring you down rabbit holes.
Dougmatt
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dougmatt »

Welcome to the rabbit holes of HD! Good luck on the grappa.
I just read an article about the dangers of drinking that scared the crap out of me.

That’s it. No more reading!
Hoosier Shine9
Swill Maker

Post by Hoosier Shine9 »

Welcome.

T&T will definitely allow you to get side tracked

hs9
Johnnyu
Novice

Post by Johnnyu »

Thank you everyone for the welcoming messages, I definitely appreciate them. Sorry I'm a little late responding but its been a hectic week.
Johnnyu
Novice

Post by Johnnyu »

Buffalo wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:07 am Welcome Johnny, good luck on the grappa. I have a few vines maybe someday there will be enough to try some.
Thank you Buffalo. Let us know if and when you give grappa a try. Would love to hear how it goes.
Johnnyu
Novice

Post by Johnnyu »

Bushman wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:28 am Welcome, did your uncle leave you his recipe?
Thanks Bushman. Unfortunately no he didn't and its my fault as I wasn't very interested on how it was made while he was alive. So it's my loss.
Johnnyu
Novice

Post by Johnnyu »

sadie33 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:06 pm hello and welcome! It's funny how reading the T&T recipes can bring you down rabbit holes.
Thanks Sadie. Yes its definitely a rabbit hole. There are so many great recipes that I cant wait to make.