3" CCVM

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

ecir54
Swill Maker

3" CCVM

Post by ecir54 »

Early on during the pandemic put this together. Was planning on using spp but the war messed up the source i used before so put it aside. Wasn't crazy about the stainless tee and long radius elbow so watched ebay to find a copper tee as street elbow at reasonable prices and in the mean time contemplated which media to use. Came across bushman's thread on making copper packing and i had a bunch of welding lead so said why not give it a go and decided it was time to move this project further.

3 pieces #1 wire 3'
3 pieces 5' still needing to unravel
Attachments
20230421_131401.jpg
20230421_131432.jpg
20230421_191249.jpg
20230421_191259.jpg
Setsumi
Distiller

Re: 3" CCVM

Post by Setsumi »

Just a heads-up. If you have not installed the sight glass yet place it lower than the take-off. All you will see there is reflux dripping. Top of the packing is what you want to see.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

Setsumi wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:00 pm Just a heads-up. If you have not installed the sight glass yet place it lower than the take-off. All you will see there is reflux dripping. Top of the packing is what you want to see.
He has a sight glass just below the takeoff. Not sure what you are trying to say. He also has one at the base of the column. I'd say he's golden when it comes to sight glasses.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

You would benefit with a taller column.
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

Salt Must Flow wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:46 pm
Setsumi wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:00 pm Just a heads-up. If you have not installed the sight glass yet place it lower than the take-off. All you will see there is reflux dripping. Top of the packing is what you want to see.
He has a sight glass just below the takeoff. Not sure what you are trying to say. He also has one at the base of the column. I'd say he's golden when it comes to sight glasses.
Second picture? The changes he is talking about?

Okay, I did miss the first pic.

Still if you do a sight glass like the old school ones that is fixed to the column, place it lower.

Iamnotmoduler
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

Setsumi wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:02 pm
Salt Must Flow wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:46 pm
Second picture? The changes he is talking about?

Okay, I did miss the first pic.

Still if you do a sight glass like the old school ones that is fixed to the column, place it lower.

Iamnotmoduler
:lol: I missed the second picture. I get it, my bad. This guy has sight glasses everywhere.
ecir54
Swill Maker

Post by ecir54 »

still dragon sight glass is to see position of reflux coil, inline sight glass is to see top of packing

will need more 3" cu to play with height later.
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

ecir54 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:14 pm still dragon sight glass is to see position of reflux coil, inline sight glass is to see top of packing

Maybe today with moduler setups, it was not always like that.

There was a time when all sight glasses were fixed to the column as windows. And there was a time that sight glasses were DIY before StillDragon glasses.

But I am being pedantic
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

Looks great. Now you got me thinking about a sight glass in my tee.....
ecir54
Swill Maker

Post by ecir54 »

Setsumi wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:25 pm
ecir54 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:14 pm still dragon sight glass is to see position of reflux coil, inline sight glass is to see top of packing

Maybe today with moduler setups, it was not always like that.

There was a time when all sight glasses were fixed to the column as windows. And there was a time that sight glasses were DIY before StillDragon glasses.

But I am being pedantic
yes times have changed, here is one form awhile back
Attachments
20230422_014938[1].jpg
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

I agree that your column is going to need more length.

Will the new offtake configuration involve triclamps? I like having the ability to change the angle of my product condenser on my CCVM
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
ecir54
Swill Maker

Post by ecir54 »

yes have tri clover ferrules but more so to keep all parts modular pooling would be a problem with a shotgun at a angle.
Laredo7mm
Bootlegger

Post by Laredo7mm »

My initial gut feeling is that a shotgun condenser at an angle shouldn’t be an issue. It is all vapor going into the condenser so it should be evenly spread across the inlet even if it is at an angle. There might be a difference in the water flow through the shotgun, but I don’t think it would be an issue. My LM still head has its reflux condenser at a 45 degree angle and I never saw an issue when running it.
ecir54
Swill Maker

Post by ecir54 »

well it all depends how close the vapor tubes are to the wall of the condenser will determine if there is a chance of smearing. any design that allows smearing would be a negative in my book it's why using a parrot isn't recommended to be used throughout a run.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

ecir54 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:31 pm well it all depends how close the vapor tubes are to the wall of the condenser will determine if there is a chance of smearing. any design that allows smearing would be a negative in my book it's why using a parrot isn't recommended to be used throughout a run.
Try holding your shotgun at a 45 degree angle and pour a bunch of water through it. Now pour out any water that 'pools' inside it and you'll see that it's only a ml or so. Even if anything did pool, it would be insignificant. A parrot is a totally different story because of the volume it holds. During a stripping run, parrots are fine. It's spirit runs where it could smear.
ecir54
Swill Maker

Post by ecir54 »

Might need another sight glass to confirm :)
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

The input side of a product condenser is the “hot side” I doubt if there’s any condensate there during a run. There would be condensate there once the vapour column has collapsed say when power to the boiler is shut off. That condensate would be low purity if it was at the end of the run. I think people are aware of the condensate and believe it is there during the whole run.
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
ecir54
Swill Maker

Post by ecir54 »

i hear yall preserving some product and enjoying some rare breed tonight
ecir54
Swill Maker

Post by ecir54 »

anybody know how long of a piece of 3/8 refrigeration soft copper would be needed to do a double wound reflux coil around 10" in height?
ecir54
Swill Maker

Post by ecir54 »

^^^ diameter x pie x number of rows should get me close.

Had time this weekend to fit the ferrules. the street elbow was pretty thick so had to take quite a bit of material to get a hand tight snug fit.

the 3" the stainless ferules fit loose in DMV pipe and are too big for type m pipe. used type m for the sleeves in the tee and again took material off for a hand tight snug fit. this should make it easier to square the ends before soldering which would have been a pain to deal with with a loose fitting ferrules.

DMV 3.030 id
type m 2.981 id
stainless ferrule 3.011 od
Attachments
20230507_201145[1].jpg
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

Looks good. You will be happy with that. I like the flush fit of the ferrules. I did mine the same. I like it!

Have fun and stay safe.
ecir54
Swill Maker

Post by ecir54 »

thanks, just finished fitting this 2" ferule for the sight glass. nice and snug that needs a tap with a rubber mall to go into place. just need to trim the back side of the ferrule.
Attachments
20230508_185722[1].jpg
20230508_185749[1].jpg
ecir54
Swill Maker

Post by ecir54 »

finished the rough cut on the 2" ferule next will be the fun part of trying to do a double coil 3/8 refrigeration tubing rc.
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

ecir54 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 6:16 pm finished the rough cut on the 2" ferule next will be the fun part of trying to do a double coil 3/8 refrigeration tubing rc.
Plenty of good stuff on winding coils on here. I tried to use 3/8" tubing. But I ended up using 1/4". Let us know how you get along with your coil. Spring benders are a great help.to make that first and last bend. I found 1/4" a lot easier to wind than 3/8". Good luck.

Have fun and stay safe.
ecir54
Swill Maker

Post by ecir54 »

Hey wildcats have done coils in the past with good results all double row. one for 1 1/2" and 3" with 1/4 refrig tubing and one for 4" with 3/8 tubing. Was never happy with the flow restriction on the 3" with 1/4 tubing being using a pond pump for flow so am going to attempt a 3" with 3/8 tubing. The outer coil shouldn't be a problem, going to be tricky to do the inner coil with 3/8 tubing.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

It's all about the mandrel size. This topic comes to mind where Hebden wound his first coil (3/8" if I recall) for his 3" VM. Filling the tubing with salt is extremely helpful in my experience.
ecir54
Swill Maker

Post by ecir54 »

thanks for the link have two pieces a pipe set aside, will compare the sizes later when get home to what Hedben used.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Another helpful item for making 3/8 coils if you are worried about kink issues would be to use 3/8” elbows. They can help join two single coils and/or help anywhere you have a tight bend.

I made 3/8” copper double coil, independent I/O, dephleg/RC for a 4” column. Those little elbows made the fabrication process way easier than trying to bend everything and with no kinks, the flow rate was way larger than I would ever need. If you want to see pics of how i used the elbows, just ask and I’ll add a link here.

FYI - with 10” of coil height to work with, a single coil of 3/8 tubing is enough to easily handle 5500W.
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
ecir54
Swill Maker

Post by ecir54 »

^^^ yes that the plan also going to use a 1/2 pipe down the center to feed water to both coils from the bottom.

wouldn't have thought single 10" 3/8 would be enough to knock down 5500 watts, thanks for the info.
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

Subscribed. Can't wait to see what you come up with.