? On double thumper build

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tōtōchtin

? On double thumper build

Post by Tōtōchtin »

In another post I was trying to get info on lyne arm length and design. One poster offered advice on length, go as long as you can. I have a 5500 w in my boiler, how far can I go. I want to make rum and corn whiskeys. I almost don't mind paying the damn high prices on copper but if it makes a better drop.... I was planning on 5' for the connection boiler to 1st thumper then 4' to second thumper. Has anyone made anything like this?
Tōtō
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Bolverk
Trainee

Re: ? On double thumper build

Post by Bolverk »

If you look around some examples here (search double retort) you'll see that they don't really have excessively long lyne arms.
That would be a big point of heat loss, being a huge flaw in the design of a parasitic boiler
There are two types of people in this world.
1. Those that can extrapolate from incomplete information.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

I see no point in an extra long arm.
A long lyne arm is either a kind of high riser, with a lot of passive reflux, or a kind of condensor, with air cooling. Depending on the angle.
Between boiler and thumper or between two thumpers it might effect the overall result. Whether you want it, depends on what you want to make.
I guess you have to experiment for yourself.

But my guess is, that the thumpers have more effect on taste than the lyne arms.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Kareltje wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 2:54 pm I guess you have to experiment for yourself.
I think that hits the nail on the head.
I think your over thinking many things that you have questions about.
You will learn a lot, from starting out simple " simple pot still on keg boiler, gas burner "and getting hands on.......that's when the learning and understanding begins.
Get fancy and start trying to work out the finer details once you have some experience.
My opinion only, take it or leave it.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Search the net for something like, rum 2nd retort, then click on images.
Tōtōchtin

Post by Tōtōchtin »

I believe in starting out with the basic design and add on as I grow into it. At the same time I don't want to redo a bunch of crap later. I see lyne arm steep, slight rise , horseshoe bends,makes you wonder what's so different about them and why.
I have seen 10 different styles and variations of,why?
They spend a lot of money making them so somebody made a good speil, fact or fiction to get the design approved. I decided to go back to my roots and just say fuck it. I ordered a few more 2" ferrules and elbows(this time cxs). I plan on doing a lot of rum runs so I'll try different setups with my new tri-clamp transforming sections. Problem for me is newmake rum tastes like crap. How to decide one shit will be better then the other?
Tōtō
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

You won't until it's at least a year old.
Bolverk
Trainee

Post by Bolverk »

Tōtōchtin wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 1:54 pm Problem for me is newmake rum tastes like crap. How to decide one shit will be better then the other?
Tōtō
I make a really tight hearts cut and and it's pretty drinkable at 55% after a few hours. If I start adding heads and tails thats when is start to need some age.
There are two types of people in this world.
1. Those that can extrapolate from incomplete information.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

SI = SO.

If you have nice molasses and don't stuff up the ferment by putting stinking crap in it that will never make nice white dog, you should be able to make nice distillate that can be cut to be enjoyed young and white. You don't need several retorts to do that.

Multiple retorts are very versatile, but are probably more useful when aiming for high ester rums for aging and blending, than for a distiller in a hurry to put something in the drinks cabinet.
Tōtōchtin

Post by Tōtōchtin »

NZChris wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:47 pm SI = SO.

If you have nice molasses and don't stuff up the ferment by putting stinking crap in it that will never make nice white dog, you should be able to make nice distillate that can be cut to be enjoyed young and white. You don't need several retorts to do that.

Multiple retorts are very versatile, but are probably more useful when aiming for high ester rums for aging and blending, than for a distiller in a hurry to put something in the drinks cabinet.
I'm not in a hurry to produce a tasty product, just can't figure this out. What to keep and what to trash. I'm on the downhill side of life so it's not like I can wait 12 years to try something. I know I will be playing on accelerating aging with my whiskeys for that reason. I am aiming at high ester washes for blending and for cooking. Never cared for rum until a friend gave me a fine bottle from Mt. Gay. At first I thought it was a joke. I love sipping a good corn/rye whiskey but that was definitely it the ball park. Before then I thought rum was Bacardi and only good for Cuba libres.
Tōtō
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

Tōtōchtin wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 9:30 am I'm not in a hurry to produce a tasty product, just can't figure this out. What to keep and what to trash. I'm on the downhill side of life so it's not like I can wait 12 years to try something. I know I will be playing on accelerating aging with my whiskeys for that reason. I am aiming at high ester washes for blending and for cooking. Never cared for rum until a friend gave me a fine bottle from Mt. Gay. At first I thought it was a joke. I love sipping a good corn/rye whiskey but that was definitely it the ball park. Before then I thought rum was Bacardi and only good for Cuba libres.
Tōtō
As info, I just did a single & double thumper run with the same LME wash. It's barely a month old, so wayyyyy too early to tell, but I will say when I sampled each recently, the double stuff tasted more "mature" than the single.

I'm waiting for my tequila wash to get done fermenting & that will be the next double thumper run.
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season