3" PC and dephlegmator vapor tube Question

Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tōtōchtin

3" PC and dephlegmator vapor tube Question

Post by Tōtōchtin »

I have read and agree larger diameter tubes are better for vapor flow. I have also read that less volume (more tubes) of water is good for temp changes.
I was planning on installing 6 3/4" tubes in a 3" disc. Looks good on paper, but cutting and soldering something that close looks like it would be a bitch. I am know thinking on 8)1/2" tubes ( 301)or 5) 3/4'' with a 1/2" (318) and 4) 1" tubes(301). As you can see the surface area is relatively the same size.
Will tubes this close to the outer wall be a hindrance? Also the length of my tubes are longer then a suggestion of 10x the diameter. My dephlegmator will be 14" and the PC 24"
Even though the 5 3/4"+1 1/2" (318)has more surface area my gut says go with the 1" at 301.
So am I right or what's your opinion.
Again I thank you for your time,
Tōtō
Attachments
IMG20230505121527.jpg
IMG20230505104257.jpg
IMG20230505103912.jpg
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Re: 3" PC and dephlegmator vapor tube Question

Post by Salt Must Flow »

A 14" dephlemator is likely going to be too long. I made a 3" dephlegmator and it's 7-3/4" from end to end. It has one 3/4" ID pipe and eight 3/8" ID pipes. It barely requires any water flow to work. I used a lot of 3/8" ID pipes because it was much easier for me to drill those holes than significantly larger holes.
Berserk
Bootlegger

Post by Berserk »

I like to play around with the Engineering Toolbox - small circle in bigger circle tool to see what works and what doesn't. Multiply the diameter of your tubes with 1.25-1.5 to get a good distance between them.

If you want to deep dive in dephlagmator and shotgun design theory I highly recommend Zapata's thread about baffle & tube design parameters as well as the chapter on tube and shell design in the Heat Exchanger Design Handbook.
Cheers,
Berserk

He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind.
But he who sticks out in darkness is fluorescent!
Tōtōchtin

Post by Tōtōchtin »

I just read Zapata's thread. His placement is closer the my silver soldering skills or it's my patience and hand control. Others suggesting many smaller tubes I disagree. As for my dephlegmator I want to use it also for a rc and on my 7.5 boiler as a pc. So I will make both of them so I can grow into them. I figured I'll either like this,figure it out and design me a still I want or sell this in six months.
Tōtō
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Here is a link to my build, I have a 4” diameter column and cut a 4” diameter pipe length with to shorten it and slide into the column. My dephlagmater is 6” long and I can knock down 100% before collecting.
4” Build
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

Bushman wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 2:38 pm Here is a link to my build, I have a 4” diameter column and cut a 4” diameter pipe length with to shorten it and slide into the column. My dephlagmater is 6” long and I can knock down 100% before collecting.
4” Build
Bushman, whenever you're ready to get rid of that PC, let me know ;)
I've been drooling over that baby since I first saw her in the "show a pic of your rig" thread.

Absolutely stunning!
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

bcook608 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 2:35 am
Bushman wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 2:38 pm Here is a link to my build, I have a 4” diameter column and cut a 4” diameter pipe length with to shorten it and slide into the column. My dephlagmater is 6” long and I can knock down 100% before collecting.
4” Build
Bushman, whenever you're ready to get rid of that PC, let me know ;)
I've been drooling over that baby since I first saw her in the "show a pic of your rig" thread.

Absolutely stunning!
:thumbup:
Tōtōchtin

Post by Tōtōchtin »

BM I just read that thread with my morning coffee. Your dephlegmator is a nice design,I like it. But the style of PC your friend made is off the charts.Just looking at it must make your drink taste better. It must be nice to have something your friend made. Thanks for sharing.
Tōtō