My first AG wash

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

VAbourbontester
Novice

My first AG wash

Post by VAbourbontester »

Just completed my first all grain mash. Goal is a wheat whiskey with sweet honey and chocolate notes. Recipe was: Corn: 29%
Wheat: 51%
Barely: 20%
-10% 6 row
-5% Honey Malt
-5% Chocolate Malt

Overall goal of 2.3lbs/gal in 10gal filtered water Corn: 6.67lbs Wheat: 11.73lbs Barley: 4.6lbs - 2.3lbs 6-row - 1.15lbs of Honey Malt - 1.15lbs of chocolate.

Long and short of it is 8gal of water in a 10gal pot is not enough space for all that grain. Once I put all the corn in and about 3/4 the wheat I realized it wasn’t going to fit so I had to drain about 1 gallon from the pot before adding the malt. A bit worried there isn’t enough water in there with 3.28 lbs/gal (23/7) but the SG was 1.07 which I was pretty happy with although not optimal for that much grain. Ended up having about 10gal in volume so I am goin to divide into 5gal batches and pitch two different yeast. For the future I am going to definitely factor in the grain volume and aim for a starting water volume of 7gal and back off the specialty grains. Mash smells great but I am suspicious they might overpower everything else. Not a bad little science experiment.