Yummy's Semi-continuous stripper idea

We don’t condone the use of Continuous Stripping stills as a method of running 24/7 as this is a commercial setup only .
Home distillers should never leave any still run unattended and Continuous strippers should not be operated for longer periods than a Batch stripping session would typically be run to minimise operator fatigue..

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bolverk
Trainee

Re: Yummy's Semi-continuous stripper idea

Post by Bolverk »

Hell for less than 1k you could get the peristaltic pump you needed for your other continuous... At least there you have it all already.
There are two types of people in this world.
1. Those that can extrapolate from incomplete information.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

The addition of a third vessel to a Charentaise style setup sounds a lot simpler and cheaper.

I have two elements in the main boiler so that I can have fast heat up and redundancy if one blows.

Only one controller is required regardless of the number of elements and vessels

A pump to recharge the preheater with preheated wash from a third vessel would cost me less than $40 in any currency.

My current pump is fine for transferring cold wash to the first preheater.
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

Yummyrum wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 9:51 pm Well as usual , the Devil is in the detail , and in this case its the cost .
First off I looked at 6 manual valves , three for filling , three for drains . I wouldn’t want to go smaller than 3/4” , but in Staino , they add up and then one has to be operating valves all day.
So I looked at Solenoid operated valves , but these all seem to need a minimum pressure to operate correctly which then lead me to motorised Ball valves . These seem like the best option , but then , for the cheapest I could find and freight was over $300 AUD for 6 motorised ball valves .

Now if you are going to fill each boiler , it makes sense to have a float switch to stop the fill . Add 3 more float switches . Theres another $50 .

So now how to heat it . Gas or Electric .
3 elements is going to cost me between $250-500 depending on wattage . Then I’ll need 3x SSR80DAs or 3x Contactors to switch between elements .

Or gas . Three gas burners , three gas pilots , three solenoid controlled gas valves . Again , depending on brand , a similar cost to Electric .

Then there were the three boilers . I was thinking around the 15 -20 litre mark . Could use kegs , cut the tops off them to fit the coils and weld them back up or get three big stock pots with staino lids and again solder the tops closed once the coils were fitted .
Three 50 litre kegs could be found for around $100-150
But 20litre stock pots were heaps dearer .

So by the time I’ve made controllers and glues it all together , I’d be seeing no change out of $1000 .

I’m re thinking it :ewink:
You are looking at this from the wrong perspective. You are costing the project before build.... you should know as a home distiller one build first and tally cost only on completing the build.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

Setsumi wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 10:55 pm [quote=Yummyrum post_id=7753797 time=1685253077

You are looking at this from the wrong perspective. You are costing the project before build.... you should know as a home distiller one build first and tally cost only on completing the build.
[/quote]

:D 8)
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Bolverk wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 10:05 pm Hell for less than 1k you could get the peristaltic pump you needed for your other continuous... At least there you have it all already.
Bolverk
You maybe on the money . …. and clearly know me better than I do :ewink:

Yes , this has been an eye opener and I was thinking I had found an easier …. and potentially cheeper option than the “normal “ continuous stripper methodology :… but as it turns out , maybe it’s not .

And I agree , it would make more sense to sink the money into a good pump and complete my original
Continuous still venture .
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

NZChris wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 10:23 pm The addition of a third vessel to a Charentaise style setup sounds a lot simpler and cheaper.

I have two elements in the main boiler so that I can have fast heat up and redundancy if one blows.

Only one controller is required regardless of the number of elements and vessels

A pump to recharge the preheater with preheated wash from a third vessel would cost me less than $40 in any currency.

My current pump is fine for transferring cold wash to the first preheater.
Chris , I think we have different ways of looking at things . I do like your ways :thumbup: ….and see how they work for you .
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

EricTheRed wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 3:10 am
Setsumi wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 10:55 pm [quote=Yummyrum post_id=7753797 time=1685253077

:D 8)
[/quote]

Setsumi and Eric

Yes normally I’d work that way . :thumbup: :ewink:
Just life circumstances have very suddenly meant that spare dollars have suddenly vanished overnight .

I have not given up on this project as I truely believe it has merit . It’s just suddenly become not feasible ATM
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

Shame. Hope things turn around for you
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
Bolverk
Trainee

Post by Bolverk »

Yummyrum wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 4:14 am
Bolverk wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 10:05 pm Hell for less than 1k you could get the peristaltic pump you needed for your other continuous... At least there you have it all already.
Bolverk
You maybe on the money . …. and clearly know me better than I do :ewink:

Yes , this has been an eye opener and I was thinking I had found an easier …. and potentially cheeper option than the “normal “ continuous stripper methodology :… but as it turns out , maybe it’s not .

And I agree , it would make more sense to sink the money into a good pump and complete my original
Continuous still venture .
Dude, I felt the same way when I started costing a miniature 3 chamber. Cool project just not really feasible at the smaller scale.
drmiller100
Rumrunner

Post by drmiller100 »

If they are all boiling the difference in temperature will be not much.

It is a LOT easier to have a 3 or four foot rectification column with almost pure boiling water at the bottom and use fresh beer as condenser coolant.

Then use a cross condenser of the warmed wash against the overflow from the boiler.

With a 10 percent wash and moderate attention to insulation the wash will start to boil in the lines before you inject it into the column.
Now I know how you claim azeo so easy, it's based on a meat thermometer. :lol:
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

drmiller100 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 3:59 pm If they are all boiling the difference in temperature will be not much.
Indeed , but that is not how it was intended to run .

Only one boiler at a time is operating . The next is acting as a condenser while the third is being emptied and refilled . Them the next one is made to boil etc

But yes , I an going to go back to my true continuous column still . I gave that up when I realised I needed a better pump , but as Bolvek pointed out to me , a Pump to finish that project is a whole lot cheaper than starting this project .
Bolverk
Trainee

Post by Bolverk »

Yummyrum wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 5:00 pm But yes , I an going to go back to my true continuous column still . I gave that up when I realised I needed a better pump , but as Bolvek pointed out to me , a Pump to finish that project is a whole lot cheaper than starting this project .
Sorry man :lol:

The peristaltic pump is the only thing I still need to finish mine too if it's any consolation.
drmiller100
Rumrunner

Post by drmiller100 »

Yummyrum wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 5:00 pm
drmiller100 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 3:59 pm If they are all boiling the difference in temperature will be not much.
Indeed , but that is not how it was intended to run .

Only one boiler at a time is operating . The next is acting as a condenser while the third is being emptied and refilled . Them the next one is made to boil etc

But yes , I an going to go back to my true continuous column still . I gave that up when I realised I needed a better pump , but as Bolvek pointed out to me , a Pump to finish that project is a whole lot cheaper than starting this project .
Ahhh. I misunderstood. So.it is not a continuous still.

It would be simpler to stack them on top of each other and run them as doubters.

I too need a good peristaltic pump in the 20 to 25 gph range.
Now I know how you claim azeo so easy, it's based on a meat thermometer. :lol: