New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Kweet
Novice

Post by Kweet »

Hello folks, first time posting after lurking for a couple months. After 15+ years as a hobbyist brewer I want to make the leap to the distilling side of the Arts. This place is chock-full of information and experience and I really appreciate it. I live on the West Coast (won't be more specific than that :wink:)

Have not yet decided upon type for my first still, but I'm pretty handy and tooled up pretty good so I'll build my own rather than purchase ready made.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: New Member

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Welcome Aboard Kweet.
Kweet wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:47 pm Have not yet decided upon type for my first still
Decide first what sort of spirit you want to make , not all stills do the same jobs or are good at making the same products.
Kweet wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:47 pm Have not yet decided upon type for my first still, but
That's the way to do it , always good to see people building. :thumbup:
Some food for thought here
viewtopic.php?t=66917
viewforum.php?f=17
viewforum.php?f=50
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

Welcome aboard man. Have fun and stay safe
Kweet
Novice

Post by Kweet »

thanks...I'm drawn towards whiskys, brandies and possibly rum. A good pot still I reckon would be a good starting point, but if'n I could make it upgradeable/ convertable so much the better. Or I could build another still if I want to make vodka or gin
Saltbush Bill wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:08 pm Welcome Aboard Kweet.
Kweet wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:47 pm Have not yet decided upon type for my first still
Decide first what sort of spirit you want to make , not all stills do the same jobs or are good at making the same products.
Kweet wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:47 pm Have not yet decided upon type for my first still, but
That's the way to do it , always good to see people building. :thumbup:
Some food for thought here
viewtopic.php?t=66917
viewforum.php?f=17
viewforum.php?f=50
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Welcome Kweet! I started with a pot still and it’s not a one trick pony. You can add a ccvm column for neutral and something smaller for gin. Anyway, welcome to the rabbit hole and looking forward to checking out your build(s). You’re brewing experience will come in handy. Check out the Tried & True recipe section sooner rather than later. Run early, run often, research and read while you run ;)

Cheers,
jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Welcome kweet and 🍻. Your right all you need is buried in these walls. Use the search and you'll be well on your way
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Welcome in, Kweet.

A good number of brewers make the jump to distilling, bringing their knowledge of grains, mashing and fermentation to the discipline, so you're ahead of the game. Building your own is a definite bonus.

Here is an example of what jonnys_spirit mentioned, a modular pot/reflux rig. This member connected his still to his existing brewing boiler.

Adding still to homebrewing setup
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Kweet
Novice

Post by Kweet »

Thanks fellas for the welcome and compass bearings for navigation and edumacation 😀