Diluting before a spirit run?

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

kokonutz
Novice

Diluting before a spirit run?

Post by kokonutz »

I am about to do my first spirit run. I have collected ~4 gallons @ 40% ABV corn mash from a couple stripping runs in my pot still. I have an electric heating element so I have to have a min of 2 gallons to keep the element under liquid. I've read in some posts about people diluting before starting the run spirit run. Is this common procedure? Can it be for the same limitation of keeping the element submerged? Is diluting the 40% stripping return common before a spirit run? I imagine diluting would also slow the run causing it to take longer? Thanks for any explanation on this matter
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Diluting before a spirit run?

Post by NormandieStill »

Diluting the low wines will dilute flavour. This is probably not the time to mention it but you might have stripped further to keep more flavour. I strip whisky low wines to around 25% to get as much flavour over as possible.

Assuming a pot still, diluting your low wines would reduce the peak and average abv produced during the spirit run. It might help reduce the tails a little but by cutting off your strips at 40% you already did that and since a lot of whisky flavour is in the tails you might now want to reduce it further.

If you're worried about the element then you could always ferment another batch. Your low wines aren't going anywhere. It wouldn't hurt to wait until you have enough.

Did you already do a cleaning and sac run?
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Like Normandie mentioned - you could mash/ferment/strip more until you have a full boiler charge (stripping down around to 25-30%abv average). A boiler full of low wines will yield the most for a hearts cut. You could also ferment enough to top-up/dilute with fresh corn squeezins instead of water and do a 1.5 spirit run...

You mentioned ~4g low wines. What's your boiler capacity?

Cheers,
jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Diluting is best used for making neutral.

Stripping until you don't need to dilute packs more flavor into your products and improves the yield.
kokonutz
Novice

Post by kokonutz »

Thank you all. I did do a sac run. My boiler is 15gal.
The top of the element lies just at the 2gal mark, so if my math is right, i'd be returning around 2.5+/- gal? I'd be better off doing one more mash/ferment if that's the case.
Bolverk
Trainee

Post by Bolverk »

4 gallons of 40% low wines would be 1.6g of absolute alcohol, leaving 2.6g of water but you're still going to be bringing over some water as well. That would be cutting it way too close to the element for my comfort level. Adding another gallon of low wines would be ideal.
There are two types of people in this world.
1. Those that can extrapolate from incomplete information.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

kokonutz wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 8:35 pm
I've read in some posts about people diluting before starting the run spirit run. Is this common procedure?
People often dilute when distilling neutral spirits.
I've done it when making whiskey and it worked quite well.
Whiskey has to be tempered down to drinking strength anyway.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

If you're asking for opinions, I say make another ferment, and wait.
You'll get more keep, and you won't have to worry about your element.
As others have stated, next time strip all the way down to under 10% ABV off the spout. You should end up with an aggregate ABV of around 35% on all of your collected Low Wines.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Deplorable wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:34 pm
As others have stated, next time strip all the way down to under 10% ABV off the spout. You should end up with an aggregate ABV of around 35% on all of your collected Low Wines.
Sound advice. Lower-ABV low wines (ie 29-35%ABV vs 40% ) translate to a lower subsequent ABV of what you keep, say, 74% vs 80%. This means adding less flavor-diluting water to proof your spirit down to drinking or aging strength.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer