Apple Jack has NO alcohol??

Discussions of fruits, veggies and grains other then just mashing

Moderator: Site Moderator

WiAppleOak
Novice

Apple Jack has NO alcohol??

Post by WiAppleOak »

I made some apple jack this year. Turned about 60 gallons of 5-6% cider into just a bit over 6 gallons. While I am sure that there was not pure conversion, my alcoholometer read negative proof, going about an inch below the 0 mark. Has anyone experienced this, or may have a idea why this has happened? I did test the meter on some 70 proof and it read within 1 proof of 70 (69...nice). My thought was that it may because of additional suspended molecules and residual sugar that may have been concentrated by the freeze jacking process. BTW it turned out fantastic and everyone who has tried it has been a fan.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Re: Apple Jack has NO alcohol??

Post by OtisT »

The alcohol meter only works on pure distilled spirits, with no added sugars, etc.

You need to measure precisely and use math to know the ABV of a drink like Applejack.
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

When you drink it does it get you drunk?
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
wallstreet4386
Novice

Post by wallstreet4386 »

<never mind>
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

I just made some negative proof water .
IMG_8535.jpeg
IMG_8536.jpeg
When it warmed up to 20°C it was fixed :ebiggrin:

If you are jacking , warm the sample to 20°C before taking ABV reading .
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Lol....well done Yummy :clap:
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

WiAppleOak wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:40 am I made some apple jack this year…
Turned about 60 gallons of 5-6% cider into just a bit over 6 gallons…
While I am sure that there was not pure conversion, “my alcoholometer read negative proof, going about an inch below the 0 mark.”
Has anyone experienced this, or may have a idea why this has happened? …
Well, if you’re using a hydrometer to measure “alcohol content”, please understand that the hydrometer only measures DENSITY relative to water. So, with a density less than 1.000, or an alcohol potential less than 0%ABV simply means that you’re using the wrong tool to measure the alcohol content.

To use the brewing hydrometer, you measure the density BEFORE fermentation and the density AFTER fermentation and the change in specific gravity (or alcohol potential) only measure the SUGARS consumed by the yeast for conversion to alcohol. It only represents “the potential” alcohol in your ferment.

For a “freeze jacked” distillation, the “potential alcohol” is concentrated along with other flavor constituents as you freeze and “jack off” the ice (frozen water) from your spirit. It typically will concentrate the flavors as well as acids in the resulting spirit. I’ve jacked spirits many times before and the resulting flavors are dramatically amplified, including those flavors you DON’T want.

Now, why would your alcometer, a hydrometer I suppose, read a “negative” potential? Well, again because your “alcometer” measures the density and the density is LESS than 1.000 because the DENSITY of ALCOHOL is LESS THAN WATER. You have water and apple juice AND ALCOHOL which combined is less than pure water. You’re using the WRONG tools!

Here’s a big note: Sugar + water = wash gives a gravity greater than 1.000, which has an “alcohol potential”. But, alcohol + water gives a gravity less than 1.000, such that the “potential alcohol” will be LESS than unity.

Use your brewing hydrometer to measure “potential alcohol” into the boiler. But use the Proof & Traille (distiller’s) hydrometer to measure the alcohol in the spirit from your still. The P&T hydrometer measure’s the density relative to water of liquids with a density LESS than water, as a mixture of ethanol and water will be. Less water, ie - lower density = higher alcohol (and other constituents) concentration and a higher purity in your product. The more your P&T hydrometer sinks into the test cylinder means that that the “proof” is higher.
WiAppleOak wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:40 am… I did test the meter on some 70 proof and it read within 1 proof of 70 (69...nice). My thought was that it may because of additional suspended molecules and residual sugar that may have been concentrated by the freeze jacking process. BTW it turned out fantastic and everyone who has tried it has been a fan.
Hmmmm…. all that seems kinda’ “newby” to me. Understand the science and the mystery will disappear.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K