Columns

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

daddychad
Novice

Columns

Post by daddychad »

I'm trying to find out if I can run a column down instead of up help need advice
juana_b
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Columns

Post by juana_b »

Liquid falls and vapor rises. What exactly is your question.
“Awards are merely the badges of mediocrity.”
― Charles Ives
daddychad
Novice

Post by daddychad »

If I can come off my pot and put a column on the downside going into my thumper
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

The name “ column” gets used incorrectly and causes people confusion

The piece of pipe that joins a Pot still to a Thumper or a Condenser is called a Lyne Arm and it is empty ( not packed)

The pipe that goes up to the Lyne Arm is called a Riser and it is also empty .

A “Column “ is the name given to a Pipe that is full of packing or has plates in it and it must have a Deflagmator or Reflux condenser above it , otherwise it is not a column …just a packed Riser .

So you can see how we might be confused by your question . :ewink:

But if you are asking “can you have a riser and or Lyne arm that goes down to a Thumper ?” …. Then yes . Perfectly normal .
Could you have it packed ? I’d say two things here .
1) It won’t do anything as far as improving your spirits .
2) It is potentially dangerous if you get a big puke as it could cause a blockage .
daddychad
Novice

Post by daddychad »

Ok that helps what about using a 1 gallon mason jar and packing it with that improve my proof
zed255
Distiller

Post by zed255 »

A glass thumper or similar device is dangerous. Those jars can crack (possibly burst with force) when least expected and you will end up in a very bad situation with hot ethanol everywhere, vapor and liquid.

Glass, or more specifically borosilicate glass, is used for things like sight glasses and is generally considered acceptable but other kinds no so much.

If you are pot stilling and want higher proof strip three or four boiler charges and perform a spirit run on the previously collected low wines. Otherwise you would have to look at using a reflux setup. Packing random sections won't do you much good.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

zed255 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:01 am A glass thumper or similar device is dangerous. Those jars can crack (possibly burst with force) when least expected and you will end up in a very bad situation with hot ethanol everywhere, vapor and liquid.

Glass, or more specifically borosilicate glass, is used for things like sight glasses and is generally considered acceptable but other kinds no so much.

If you are pot stilling and want higher proof strip three or four boiler charges and perform a spirit run on the previously collected low wines. Otherwise you would have to look at using a reflux setup. Packing random sections won't do you much good.
Very sound advice. I can't stress enough. Don't you glass mason jars for a thumper. It's asking for trouble. Have fun and stay SAFE.
daddychad
Novice

Post by daddychad »

Ok so I'ma going to get rid of the glass jar even though iv used it and ty 4 the warning I'ma buy a 5 gallon pot setup and use it for a thumper how much should I charge it iv never charged one iv packed a small one that came with my setup but it was half gallon with 10 gallon pot iv run like 5 times and want good taste now that iv learned more and researched more thank all y'all for the help I'm like so new to this and just been winging it
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

be water my friend