I am new here

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

RisingSonSpaceLicker
Novice

I am new here

Post by RisingSonSpaceLicker »

Started with brewing and now your boy loves to distill. Shout out the YT college (BeaverDIY, stillit, bearded and bored)got me started but this forum is really the final spit and polish.
Just finished a 50l keg, 600mm SS column, 900mm copper liebig condenser on a dual ring burner now I know what you thinking and yes I would love a oil jacket boiler or to stick a heating element in however I live in a country that has a daily religiot ceremony called loadshedding.
I digress. so I fermented 5kg of guava, 3.5kg of sugar and 1l of molasses in 25l fermentater with an initial gravity of 1.095 ended on a 1.000. After tasting it, it's definitely gonna be a sacrificial run (I think)

So yeah look forward to learning so much.

Ps copper to SS soldering easiest thing Ever SS to SS on the other hand can be a complete nightmare(without the useful knowledge of soldering and proper use of search page on this here forum)
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: I am new here

Post by EricTheRed »

Welcome.

Religious ceremony. Ha ha ha

Given that i suspect we live in same country - i solved that religious problem with lot of solar panels and a kick in the butt to esihkom.

Enjoy the reading
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

Welcome aboard man. Check out the Tried and True. Have fun and stay safe.
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

Welcome, myself knows what loadshedding is. I run electric but I have a boiler that I can run on gas. Read plenty and stay safe.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

RisingSonSpaceLicker wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:33 am I digress. so I fermented 5kg of guava, 3.5kg of sugar and 1l of molasses in 25l fermentater with an initial gravity of 1.095 ended on a 1.000. After tasting it, it's definitely gonna be a sacrificial run (I think)
Welcome to the forum.

Given a wash using those ingredients, I would put down a simple sugar wash for the sacrificial run and use the current wash to learn how to run the still and practice choosing a heart cut.
RisingSonSpaceLicker
Novice

Post by RisingSonSpaceLicker »

EricTheRed wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:00 pm Welcome.

Religious ceremony. Ha ha ha

Given that i suspect we live in same country - i solved that religious problem with lot of solar panels and a kick in the butt to esihkom.

Enjoy the reading
More like a religiot (combo of religious and idiot)

That's a marvelous idea I'm slowly getting there first got the fridge and wifi and TV and pcs next is a separate system for all my hobbies. Thanks Bruddah

Wildcats wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:59 am Welcome aboard man. Check out the Tried and True. Have fun and stay safe.
Thanks Wildcats will do
Setsumi wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:44 pm Welcome, myself knows what loadshedding is. I run electric but I have a boiler that I can run on gas. Read plenty and stay safe.
The undoing of a nation. I most certainly will don't want the craft getting a bad name. Thanks Bruddah
NZChris wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:10 pm
RisingSonSpaceLicker wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:33 am I digress. so I fermented 5kg of guava, 3.5kg of sugar and 1l of molasses in 25l fermentater with an initial gravity of 1.095 ended on a 1.000. After tasting it, it's definitely gonna be a sacrificial run (I think)
Welcome to the forum.

Given a wash using those ingredients, I would put down a simple sugar wash for the sacrificial run and use the current wash to learn how to run the still and practice choosing a heart cut.
Yeah I wanted to sacrifice it because smelled weird at first but after 5 day or so it starting to smell like a sour beer. So I am definitely following your advice.thanks NZChris
RSSL
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Welcome and 🍻
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.