Sac run advice, and what happened to my wash?

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

GrumpyJohn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Sac run advice, and what happened to my wash?

Post by GrumpyJohn »

Hey guys, I bought a 30L (8 gallon) reflux still, plus a second 30L boiler (30L) and pot still head... I want to have options for distilling various things, including essential oils.

I’m looking to do cleaning runs on both boilers and heads. I mixed up a 1/3 batch of Birdwatcher’s sugar wash figuring that would give me enough wash to do a couple sac runs with boilers about 1/2 full.

Followed the recipe and instructions (at 1/3 division) and got it to 1.09 SG for start. Thought I was doing ok, and set it in a small room with space heater, maintaining an average of about 27*C (80-81*F). Things fizzed along nicely, with that rich brewery smell and SG tests looked good for a day or two, but then my numbers started to drop pretty rapidly. I’m now at day 8, and there is still a little bit of action in the air locks, but my SG is way down into the beer range according to my hydrometer (around .40). It’s tasting pretty dry, but if I was going on tast alone I’d probably leave it for another day or two.

It’s probably obvious that this is my first kick at the cat with distilling, and I’ve done a fair bit of reading on the forum but not seen a topic like this, so please be gentle with me if I’ve done something really stupid, or am asking a question already asked by many! :shock:

My questions are: any idea what might have happened to the wash to come out so low in ABV? I’m pretty sure I was very close to 1.09 to start, though reading that thing is tricky (I had the wife confirm my readings), and the amount of sugar/water used seemed right in line with the recipe! Only other thing I can think of is that I originally didn’t have a heater in my little room and my wash got cool the first night before I stuck the heater in to maintain temp. But it’s been smelling, looking, and sounding nice ever since after things slowing down that first night... so I thought all was still good.

Second question: even at this low ABV do you think this wash will be ok as is for a sac run? If not, can I fix it? If so, I’m willing to give it a go.

Sorry for the long-windedness, and thanks in advance for (hopefully) taking it easy on a total noob! :D
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Sac run advice, and what happened to my wash?

Post by NZChris »

I suspect that you don't know how to use your hydrometer.
GrumpyJohn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrumpyJohn »

NZChris wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:25 pm I suspect that you don't know how to use your hydrometer.
Well, I desperately need a face-palm smiley and now feel like a total moron. Just sat down to take a much closer look at the hydrometer and realized that you are right! My original SG would have been 1.109! And current is 1.040.

Ugh, well, as someone who uses various measuring tools daily, this is pretty embarrassing! But I’ve got it cased now! My wash, in any case is NOT ready... but a new question (or two) arises! Will this still be ok for a sac run, and what should I expect SG to be when it’s ready to run if so? Since it’s just a sac run should I just run it when it’s nice and dry to prevent sugar burning, and never mind the SG?

Sorry, guys... I’ve feel like I’ve wasted your time here. But at least now I’m set straight on this issue!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

It might struggle to finish, but as long as you keep it warm and the pH doesn't crash, it should be ok.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

GrumpyJohn wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:21 pm . I’m now at day 8, and there is still a little bit of action in the air locks
It's not done fermenting ...leave it be.
GrumpyJohn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrumpyJohn »

Thanks guys, will post again if I think there are any other troubles... will leave it be for now, keep it warm, and play the waiting game.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

John,

Congrats on jumping down the rabbit hole. First-hand experience will always prove more valuable than third-hand assessments of your developing skills. Sugar washes can behave differently than grain or fruit washes, but expect that at some point, even though your wash may be completed, it will continue to off-gas as trapped C02 unbinds itself and makes the air-lock look busy.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
MooseMan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MooseMan »

Yeah your starting gravity is a bit high there Grumpy John, but as it's for a sac run then you can put it down to a learning exercise and do better next time.
It will be fine to put through your still as a cleaning run when it's stopped, even if there is a little residual sugar in there.

I tend to aim in the 1070s for sugar washes and if I over shoot, I just add a bit more water, pretty simple but it works with no dramas.
Make Booze, not War!
GrumpyJohn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrumpyJohn »

Thanks all, for the encouragement. There is definitely a learning curve to this hobby... as there usually is!