Attaching condensing pipe to lid

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Dapper Moose
Novice

Attaching condensing pipe to lid

Post by Dapper Moose »

Hi guys! So right now im in the process of finally putting together my still, and I need to connect my condensing pipe to the lid of my pot. But.....I dont know how. I initially planned to do it using a brass compression fitting. But because the instructions I (very loosely) based my still on weren't made by a H.D. user, they have some unsafe quirks. Like this connection. The person also used a compression fitting but to fill in the gaps that undoubtedly will be present in this connection, they use high temp hot glue. But because I dont want to use plastic I need to find a safe (preferably cheap) replacement for this, if I can even do this with a compression fitting at all. Let me know what you guys think, any suggestions are greatly appreciate, thanks! I also am attaching a rough plan of my still and photo of how the guy did his.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-05-15 at 4.59.41 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-06-03 at 10.40.31 PM.png
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Re: Attaching condensing pipe to lid

Post by Salt Must Flow »

You can silver solder just about any stainless steel or brass fitting to the lid then screw in just about any other type of fitting to it (using PTFE thread tape).
juana_b
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by juana_b »

The prescribed methods found during countless hours of reading in these forums will include: lead-free solder or brazing, not using brass in contact with vapor unless it's been pickled first, stepping up to 1/2" rather than 3/8"....and much more.
Check out the construction site in the board index for ideas you didn't know existed.
Good on ya for getting rid of the glue, that's something that has no place on a still and would definitely be against forum rules.
I recommend taking some more time planning, be patient acquiring materials frugally, and reading more about what the folks that came before us have done.
It'll benefit you in the long run.
“Awards are merely the badges of mediocrity.”
― Charles Ives
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Agree that you should use 1/2” minimum if you can . You can buy coil packs of soft annealed copper that easily makes a worm .

You can get Stainless conpression fitting too .
I just went to the shed and found a 1/2” stainless compression nipple .When using a copper Olive and even a brass Kinko nut , there is no Brass in contact with vapour .

Best way would be to drill a hole and solder it in with lead free soft solder . But failing that you can buy thin nuts that will fit the 1/2” nipple and screw it inside the boiler lid with a cardboard washer /gasket or even wrap a bunch of teflon tape around the thread up against the lid so when the nut is done up it swuishes the teflon tape to form a seal .

Ultimately , you will tire of a little setup and need to upgrade . The earlier you learn to solder the better . :ebiggrin:
IMG_8077.jpeg
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

Looks like 8 quart boiler. That's gonna be small. I'd recommend at least an 8 gal boiler. And 1/2" on the pipe for your worm. The construction site here in HD has a lot of builds to give your some ideas. Going bigger will help you to makes cuts with more volume. Have fun and stay safe.
Dapper Moose
Novice

Post by Dapper Moose »

juana_b wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:38 pm The prescribed methods found during countless hours of reading in these forums will include: lead-free solder or brazing, not using brass in contact with vapor unless it's been pickled first, stepping up to 1/2" rather than 3/8"....and much more.
Check out the construction site in the board index for ideas you didn't know existed.
Good on ya for getting rid of the glue, that's something that has no place on a still and would definitely be against forum rules.
I recommend taking some more time planning, be patient acquiring materials frugally, and reading more about what the folks that came before us have done.
It'll benefit you in the long run.
Yeah I got the recommendation to step up to 1/2 in from another question I had earlier so im going to go with that. And im planning to pickle the brass. Thanks for the tip to go the construction site! I'll have to go check it out!