Shady's Sugar Shine Stall

Sugar, and all about sugar washes. Where the primary ingredient is sugar, and other things are just used as nutrients.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Wildcats
Distiller

Re: Shady's Sugar Shine Stall

Post by Wildcats »

The Tried and True for Shadys Sugar Shine is not gonna stall. At least not in my experience. Go by the recipe to a T and it'll reward you with a clean spirit.have fun and stay safe.
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

Really didn't measure the yeast that I boiled, is there a guideline? The only reason I used tomato paste is because I have DAP and had tomato paste on hand. For no good reason, I've never liked the idea of putting tomato paste in a wash. For the few sugar washes I have done I used Wineo's recipe and never had a problem with them and all of them not using DAP I did add lemon juice, gypsum and epsom salt. my order for potassium carbonate, DAP and citric acid is out for delivery today. If I do another sugar wash (probably Wineo) I will be better prepared.
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

I have never, for no good reason, liked the idea of adding tomato paste to a wash. I didn't have DAP on hand, but did have tomato paste so I used it. My other sugar washes have been Wineos Plain Ol Sugar Wash which all turned well for me (in spite of not having DAP)
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

Update on my wash. Just checked the wash; Ph holding at 5.00 and SG now at 1.0, actually just a hair under. I will let it go over night and will do the stripping run tomorrow or Sat. I suspect that given the problems and having to add all the crap to the wash I will have to do more runs than normal to clean it up but I'm feeling pretty good about it. Thank all you guys for all your input.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Looks like the wash finished in spite of everything you did. :lol:
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Body Getta, I’m glad you got your ferment to finish up. Congratulations.

One thing that will help you in the future getting/giving support on HD will be to report you gravity numbers correctly. There were lots of comments/clues in this thread about the numbers you shared being confusing and unclear. Your gravity number should have 4 digits to it. I’ve seen is listed with a decimal after the first digit or with a space between two pairs of numbers.

One good example: A Common OG for an AG may be 10 72 (or 1.072) and that ferment may finish up around 10 02 (or 1.002). If it finished really dry it could end up around 0.098.

Best of luck. Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Boda Getta wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:35 am
Really didn't measure the yeast that I boiled, is there a guideline?
1/4 cup per 10 gallons.
For 30 gallons that would be 3/4 cup boiled yeast.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Boda Getta wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:04 pm I have never, for no good reason, liked the idea of adding tomato paste to a wash. I didn't have DAP on hand, but did have tomato paste so I used it. My other sugar washes have been Wineos Plain Ol Sugar Wash which all turned well for me (in spite of not having DAP)
Wineos uses 1 tsp of DAP per 6 gallons.
posting.php?mode=quote&p=6747272
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

OtisT wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:42 pm

One good example: A Common OG for an AG may be 10 72 (or 1.072) and that ferment may finish up around 10 02 (or 1.002). If it finished really dry it could end up around 0.098.

Best of luck. Otis
0.098 sg. Wow that is dry. :lol:
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

shadylane wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:54 pm
OtisT wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:42 pm

Best of luck. Otis
0.098 sg. Wow that is dry. :lol:
Oops. 0.998
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Tōtōchtin

Post by Tōtōchtin »

OtisT wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:42 pm Body Getta, I’m glad you got your ferment to finish up. Congratulations.

One thing that will help you in the future getting/giving support on HD will be to report you gravity numbers correctly. There were lots of comments/clues in this thread about the numbers you shared being confusing and unclear. Your gravity number should have 4 digits to it. I’ve seen is listed with a decimal after the first digit or with a space between two pairs of numbers.

Best of luck. Otis
Otis this post just got you kicked out of Asgard and put down here with us mere mortals.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Naw, it just proves what Otis was saying about the importance of having all the zero's and decimal point in the right place. :lol:
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

Boda Getta wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:11 pmPh holding at 5.00
:think:
gsugg
Novice

Post by gsugg »

NZChris wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:06 pm PH 8 probably killed the yeast.

Crushed shell isn't as forgiving as whole shells, especially if you have used too much. Reading much of the advice on the forum, you might get the impression that crushed shell is failsafe, but it's not. You should always check the pH before making additions either way.

I use pH strips because they are accurate enough, don't need calibrating and the batteries never go flat.
NZChris,
I don't know for sure at all; but I was under the impression that if the PH didn't need to come up, the shells wouldn't add to it. (Sort of self-regulating? Am I completely off base with this thought?)

Greg
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

For what its worth, I've always used crushed shell, never fussed over the quantity to much, just followed Shadys recommendation.
Never ever had a problem of any sort.
MikeStills
Novice

Post by MikeStills »

For me I saw very little going on, and felt I was too rich on the sugar even though I was at 1.090 (using yeast nutrient and DADY yeast)

What I did was crush up 1 cup of Crispex cereal to help feed the yeast something to get started and pitched another 1 TB of DADY mixed in and it's been fermenting fine since. I think any cereal would work like cork flakes or raisin bran... This at least worked for me and I don't expect to notice it when I run it.