Howdy from Texas

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Delion
Novice

Howdy from Texas

Post by Delion »

As I do alot of studying and planning its almost a addiction I guess. I love to research any hobby I am getting into I live in the backwoods of South East texas and have my eye on the outback still by mile hi to start so it may appear I am lurking but the truth is having ran multiple forums I know the first and best thing to do is read!
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Howdy from Texas

Post by Yonder »

Welcome, neighbor. Plenty of friends here and much to learn. Two important points for all: read more and find the period on your keyboard.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
Delion
Novice

Post by Delion »

Yonder wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:28 pm Welcome, neighbor. Plenty of friends here and much to learn. Two important points for all: read more and find the period on your keyboard.
Thank you for the welcome!
Will be doing alot of reading for a while.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Welcome to the club 🍻.
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

Welcome aboard man. I called Texas home for many years. Lived in Austin as a kid and then we moved to Corpus Christi grew up in Flower Bluff. Now I call Kentucky home. My son and grandkids live in Spring in the Houston area.
Check out the Tried and True. Great recipes there. Shadys Sugar Shine is a great place to start. Have fun and stay safe.
Delion
Novice

Post by Delion »

Thanks guys I am east of houston. Looking forward to this journey!
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Welcome to the forum Delion.
Good thing you like reading . There sure is plenty to keep you busy here.

Even if I had the money to spend , I wouldn’t choose the mile-hi outback. Its one welded piece .Look into modular stills . You can change them around and add extra modules .
Don’t be sucked in by “dual purpose” In this case it means can do two things but neither of them well .

Decide what you want to make and use stills appropriate for the task .
Do you have 240v available ? You might be better off looking at a bigger boiler and elements as a 8gal on 120v will become undersized real quick .
Delion
Novice

Post by Delion »

Yummyrum wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:19 pm Welcome to the forum Delion.
Good thing you like reading . There sure is plenty to keep you busy here.

Even if I had the money to spend , I wouldn’t choose the mile-hi outback. Its one welded piece .Look into modular stills . You can change them around and add extra modules .
Don’t be sucked in by “dual purpose” In this case it means can do two things but neither of them well .

Decide what you want to make and use stills appropriate for the task .
Do you have 240v available ? You might be better off looking at a bigger boiler and elements as a 8gal on 120v will become undersized real quick .
I really appreciate the advice and will definitely give modular a good.study. yes I have 240 available and am thinking after much reading so far you are correct in bigger size boiler and element. Do you have any suggestions you would be able to point me in a general direction?
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Not saying this specifically , but you can see the versatility in this setup that Kimbodious uses . For a start , it just so happens to clamp onto a standard Beer keg .

viewtopic.php?p=7417604#p7417604

Personally I prefer to do a similar thing with Copper sections , but the stainless steel bits are readily available .

viewtopic.php?p=7475130&sid=3f2aebbf020 ... 8#p7475130
Delion
Novice

Post by Delion »

Yummyrum wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:37 pm Not saying this specifically , but you can see the versatility in this setup that Kimbodious uses . For a start , it just so happens to clamp onto a standard Beer keg .

Personally I prefer to do a similar thing with Copper sections , but the stainless steel bits are readily available .

Okay I can see where that could be a better investment and that's really nice on both counts. I just so happen to be able to get.a keg cleaned and ready for my mutilation to it for 15 dollars so I am thinking this may indeed be the better road and a 15.5 gallon capacity instead of 8
MooseMan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MooseMan »

Delion wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:26 pm
Yummyrum wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:37 pm Not saying this specifically , but you can see the versatility in this setup that Kimbodious uses . For a start , it just so happens to clamp onto a standard Beer keg .

Okay I can see where that could be a better investment and that's really nice on both counts. I just so happen to be able to get.a keg cleaned and ready for my mutilation to it for 15 dollars so I am thinking this may indeed be the better road and a 15.5 gallon capacity instead of 8
Hi Delion and welcome.

Yummy has given you a really solid steer on the keg based boiler, it's a great, reliable and long lasting solution.
Modular pot/CCVM is a very good option and the one I also chose and glad I did.

If you're interested and if it helps to flesh out what Yummy is saying, I did a build blog on mine with plenty of pics, inspired by Kim's setup, that got a lot of input from the guys here and I was given so much help and guidance on the way.
Make Booze, not War!
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Delion wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:26 pm

I can't agree more with Yummy's sage advice to look at a modular copper rig. Many members I have spoken with have chosen this design and are happily producing fine spirits. Modifying a keg with an enlarged top ferrule and electric element will certainly elevate your process capabilities 'miles above' the outback option. I say go for it.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
zach
Swill Maker

Post by zach »

Welcome to the forum!

I saw this keg already modified the other day for a good price. If I was starting from scratch, I'd likely pick up one of these. Then get mix of copper fittings and tri clamps spools on amazon to build a riser and a condenser which will be better than anything on milehigh. Learning to solder doesn't take long.

https://www.gwkent.com/15-gallon-keg-4-tc.html