Copper Soxhlet

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

brewbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Copper Soxhlet

Post by brewbob »

I have a couple family members that like gin. I've been reading up and I think trying to make a gin would be a fun project. For no reason other than I like the way they function I chose to go with a soxhlet extractor. I prefer to build vs buy and I want copper. Here's what I came up with.
20230930_110218.jpg
I have this 6"x6" TC bowl and lid with 2" TC that isn't in use. I can plug the 1/4" holes. It holds .73 gallons.
20230930_110935.jpg
12" x 2" riser I have from when I used a smaller boiler.
20230930_084935.jpg
A sketch of the idea. I was thinking about cutting the riser and using a union so I could put a solid plate in to create the separate chambers. The 45s look nice but I have 90s on hand and it's easier to solder.
20230930_111901.jpg
Something like this. This is just a what I had on hand to get a visual. I feel like a larger vapor tube is needed, I have 3/4" and 1" on hand just no 90s.

My thought was to use the 6" bowl with the soxhlet on top of it then a triclamp sock screen gasket and my dephlegmator. It would hold plenty of botanicals to run 1500ml at a time on my stove top.

Thoughts?
Brewbob

1"x24" CM
2"x52" Slant Plate
2"x18" Pot Still w/ Liebig
2" modular
Boozewaves
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Copper Soxhlet

Post by Boozewaves »

i'm definitely interested to see how yours turns out . there are a few soxhlet threads here on HD but no homemade ones until now .

I have been thinking of a soxhlet as a future project mainly for using with berries I can forage but having one sounds good for testing gin or absinthe recipes too . Since I saw one in a thread from this website I have been thinking of making one in the back of my mind. I have some drawings somewhere of ideas I had for making one

I would want to be able to see the soxhlet thimble/ basket filling and draining to make sure its working right and it would be good to get an idea of the colour of the alcohol if using berries in my case so I can have an idea of how well the berry flavours would be infusing into the alcohol . so i'd use a diy sightglass

the idea for my build which like yours would also be mainly in copper (if I ever get around to it) is similar to this one but without using the unsafe materials .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omRuZrpznqI&t=90s
Become a distiller : start here viewtopic.php?t=52975