Single malt style but fermented and stripped on grains?

All styles of whiskey. This is for all-grain mashes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Evil_Dark
Site Donor
Site Donor

Single malt style but fermented and stripped on grains?

Post by Evil_Dark »

Is any of you ever tried to ferment and distill (stripping run) on grain when making whisky with only malted barley?

Scottish way is to mash on grain, then sparge and collect the mash without grains, then ferment and double distill.
I have an agitator setup, and made nice bourbons with it, but I wonder what would change in the flavor compared to "classic way" if I mash malted barley, let it ferment on grain and strip that with the grains.

Evil_Dark
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Single malt style but fermented and stripped on grains?

Post by NormandieStill »

It's already veering fairly far from Scotch style, but I've completed the stripping runs for a toasted barley, raw barley Yellow Label "mash" (But just barley, if unmalted, and the toasting was fairly light!). I fermented and stripped on the grain and got some very flavourful and oily low wines. My experience from living in Scotland, was that considering the grain bill is supposed to be pale ale malted barley for pretty much all the distilleries, the variety of base flavour, and the variety imparted by the wood and the proofing down water gives enough range for a lot of experimentation.

I'd say do it and find out. I'll certainly report back when I've managed the spirit run, and then it's going to sit on a used stick from my first HBB batch for a while so you'll need as much patience as me if you want feedback after aging! :wink:
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
Evil_Dark
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Evil_Dark »

NormandieStill wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:34 am I'd say do it and find out. I'll certainly report back when I've managed the spirit run, and then it's going to sit on a used stick from my first HBB batch for a while so you'll need as much patience as me if you want feedback after aging! :wink:
Thanks for your input :)
I've started the ferment with Vienna Malt (75%) and Honey Malt (25%) at a ratio of 2.5L water /1Kg of grain, the mashing went well at 1.080 :)
(preheated 40L of strike water at 70C per the strike water calculator, pourred in 16Kg of fine grinded malt grains, stirred and adjusted the temp with additionnal water to have 63C, covered with blankets for severals hours stirred at every 30-60 min, before the night I removed the insulation and let it cool to pich temp, next morning verified SG and temp, pitched 3 full tbl spoon of yeast, stirred and oxygenated)
Pitched the yeast (Red Star active Dry Yeast) and we'll know in a week or two :)
Will start one other ferment this week as it was super easy compared to the traditionnal full scottish procedure ;)
I'll post the results :thumbup:
Evil_Dark
Evil_Dark
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Evil_Dark »

Small quick update:
The darn fermenter was a tad too small for that nuclear reaction... LOL
When I got back from work there was a nice spillage on the ground, foam overflowed like crazy...
Note to myself, MORE HEAD ROOM next time!
Evil_Dark
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Evil_Dark wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:36 am Is any of you ever tried to ferment and distill (stripping run) on grain when making whisky with only malted barley?
I have and didn't like the whiskey.
Tannins from the barley husk was overpowering.
Let Us know how it works for Ya, sometimes I'm wrong. :lol:
Evil_Dark
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Evil_Dark »

shadylane wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:28 pm I have and didn't like the whiskey.
Tannins from the barley husk was overpowering.
Let Us know how it works for Ya, sometimes I'm wrong. :lol:
Do you think that this overpowering flavor came from "cooking" the whole grain during the stripping run?
And whick kind of barley did you used? (Golden promise, Vienna, pale ale, etc...)
Evil_Dark
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

It's been too long ago to remember what barley malt was used. :oops:
Several small runs were done with various ratios of unmalted and malted barley.
A steam rig was used to distill on the grain.
All I can say is distilling off the grain was much better.
Evil_Dark
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Evil_Dark »

shadylane wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:20 pm It's been too long ago to remember what barley malt was used. :oops:
Several small runs were done with various ratios of unmalted and malted barley.
A steam rig was used to distill on the grain.
All I can say is distilling off the grain was much better.
Ok I see. Thanks a lot for your input!
It makes sense tho, the husks can transmit some flavors, and can be more on the harsh side than on the pleasant side! That may explain why it's been a couples century that irish and scottish guys were distilling off grain... :roll:
Evil_Dark