stupid rabbit holes...

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Boozewaves
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: stupid rabbit holes...

Post by Boozewaves »

sadie33 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:13 pm
elbono wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:46 pm You're getting into the territory you should look at a keg and put together the still head out of pieces from Amazon.

Here's a recent thread with a keg setup for electric heat.
viewtopic.php?t=91132
thanks, everyone keeps telling me that, but I just don't like the look of the kegs (no offence to anyone here :thumbup: ).
They can look really good . For example .

or this (from angry parrot distillery's youtube) . I do like the look of them with the top ring chopped down just to the handles .
APkeg.png
These discs for an angle grinder work well for a quick polish . I did my current keg in about 20 minutes for the first time ever a while ago and it made it look pretty good , there are different coarseness's available like sand paper
stripdisc.PNG
A larger boiler is definitely a good investment whether you buy one or convert/use a keg . I have used a 11 US gallons sized keg for years and i'm looking forward to having time off next month so I can convert a bigger one that I have recently bought so I can do larger stripping runs . I will polish it up using different grits of the discs I showed but I won't spend as long on it as the guy in the first video did .
Become a distiller : start here viewtopic.php?t=52975
MooseMan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MooseMan »

Boozewaves wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:24 am
sadie33 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:13 pm
elbono wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:46 pm You're getting into the territory you should look at a keg and put together the still head out of pieces from Amazon.

Here's a recent thread with a keg setup for electric heat.
viewtopic.php?t=91132
thanks, everyone keeps telling me that, but I just don't like the look of the kegs (no offence to anyone here :thumbup: ).
They can look really good . For example .

or this (from angry parrot distillery's youtube) . I do like the look of them with the top ring chopped down just to the handles .
APkeg.png

These discs for an angle grinder work well for a quick polish . I did my current keg in about 20 minutes for the first time ever a while ago and it made it look pretty good , there are different coarseness's available like sand paperstripdisc.PNG

A larger boiler is definitely a good investment whether you buy one or convert/use a keg . I have used a 11 US gallons sized keg for years and i'm looking forward to having time off next month so I can convert a bigger one that I have recently bought so I can do larger stripping runs . I will polish it up using different grits of the discs I showed but I won't spend as long on it as the guy in the first video did .
How about doing a build thread Booze?
What are you planning exactly?

I'm gently planning another, slightly bigger boiler build myself as I've got several brand new elements from work that will keep me in spares for life. So I'll be doing a bit of a pictorial as I think it can really help people to see what's involved.
Make Booze, not War!
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

sadie33 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:41 pm the stuff I made with the cheap Vervo is amazing; or at least I think so. (so does my husband).
When I first joined this forum, it was observed that in a year or two I would look back and have a very different opinion on the first products I was making; that what I though was amazing then wouldn’t compare to what I could make after some practice. While my pride didn’t want to accept that at the time, it was quite true. A fair bit of what thought was good then is all but undrinkable now, or at least is quite inferior.

You and I seem to have similar tastes and trajectories in this hobby, as well as similar time and space constraints. I too started with the much maligned Vevor, and spent quite a bit of time and money trying to rectify its shortcomings. One thing I learned was that the still itself was limiting my ability both to produce the things I wanted and to practice the skills I wanted to learn. Not only the design of the still, but especially running on an electric stove. Thus I would strongly advise you to consider upgrading to something better designed for the purpose. Don’t throw the Vevor away. Keep it for other projects, or modify it to better suit your needs.

One possibility would be to start a thread where you lay out your constraints, assets, skills, and needs, and ask for help in finding the best still for the purpose. While I’m no expert, I for one would be willing to discuss the subject and offer my limited insight either publicly or via PM, if that would be helpful to you.
Learn from the past, live in the present, change the future.
Oatmeal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oatmeal »

I use a keg outside on a propane burner. A 10 gallon stripping run takes 2.5 hours...
Through the magic of alchemy, our spirits live on.
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sadie33 »

That is pretty Boozewaves!! I also like how it has the bigger hole for access. That was another reason I didn't like the kegs the top hole is so tiny, you also can't store your stuff in it. I don't think you can store a ton of stuff in the milk cans, but I know you can store some of it.

My vervo fits everything right inside the whole pot, I really like that.
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sadie33 »

Steve Broady wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:35 am
sadie33 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:41 pm the stuff I made with the cheap Vervo is amazing; or at least I think so. (so does my husband).
When I first joined this forum, it was observed that in a year or two I would look back and have a very different opinion on the first products I was making; that what I though was amazing then wouldn’t compare to what I could make after some practice. While my pride didn’t want to accept that at the time, it was quite true. A fair bit of what thought was good then is all but undrinkable now, or at least is quite inferior.

You and I seem to have similar tastes and trajectories in this hobby, as well as similar time and space constraints. I too started with the much maligned Vevor, and spent quite a bit of time and money trying to rectify its shortcomings. One thing I learned was that the still itself was limiting my ability both to produce the things I wanted and to practice the skills I wanted to learn. Not only the design of the still, but especially running on an electric stove. Thus I would strongly advise you to consider upgrading to something better designed for the purpose. Don’t throw the Vevor away. Keep it for other projects, or modify it to better suit your needs.

One possibility would be to start a thread where you lay out your constraints, assets, skills, and needs, and ask for help in finding the best still for the purpose. While I’m no expert, I for one would be willing to discuss the subject and offer my limited insight either publicly or via PM, if that would be helpful to you.
I think I joined about 6 months after you. I read a lot of your threads and it helped a ton. You got to screw everything up first :lolno: just joking :wink:

I really want to build one myself, but the fact that I didn't over the summer (that was my big plan) kinda shows me I don't think I will, for what ever the reason. My husband and I work at home together and have a lot of hobbies together and seperatly that fill up our time. Not to mention our actual job.

Maybe I will stick with my plan of using the Vervo for this season while I plan and research the build of my still. I don't have to rush it, and I don't have to build it all at once. And maybe starting a thread for input and advice would help. I know I am brand new to this still (no pun intended) and I would hate to jump into buying a pretty new still for a lot of money and want something different in a year or two.

Now I just have to talk my husband out of getting me the still. I'm getting him a really nice Christmas present this year. (A roof and cab for his Kabota 2100 and the heater). I think we are getting a ton of snow this year. I drive the skidsteer which is already covered and enclosed. My part of the plowing only takes me 2-3 hours while he is out there most of the day on and off sometimes. We shall see...
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sadie33 »

Oatmeal wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:41 am I use a keg outside on a propane burner. A 10 gallon stripping run takes 2.5 hours...
That's awesome. I wish I had propane, but I like stilling in the house. I'm also nervous about spills and propane. :esurprised:
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

If you have an angle grinder (or can borrow one), anyone can cut a 4" or 6" hole in the top of the keg offset from the 2" fitting on top of the keg. If you get a 4" or 6" Tri-Clamp ferrule TIG welded to the keg, the rest can be done without any welding. You can cut a hole and install an inexpensive Tri-Clamp bulkhead fitting to attach an electric element. You can use PTFE gaskets instead of the silicone gasket if you want, but you would just have to sand both sides of the gasket smooth & flat first. A perfect bottom drain can be done just by soldering, a 1" ball valve, some copper pipe and only a couple fittings.

If you have any questions or confused about any aspect of what anyone is talking about, don't hesitate to ask. We can post pics as examples.