10 liter Portuguese Copper Alembic too big for a dedicated gin still?

All things to do with making of gin

Moderator: Site Moderator

NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: 10 liter Portuguese Copper Alembic too big for a dedicated gin still?

Post by NormandieStill »

OttoFoasson wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:50 am Or buy vodka for traditional gin…
The only problem that you may find is that as your cuts get better, and your sense of what belongs in your product and what doesn't develops, you may find that the vodka is disappointing, and doesn't meet your standards for your gin! :wink:
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
quadra
Bootlegger

Post by quadra »

I found this as well! And not just with gin.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

OttoFoasson wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:50 am Next step is probably getting a bigger pot still or a simple reflux still, but no hurry. I thought I wanted a really good reflux still, but I’m not sure I care as much about perfectly neutral base spirit any more.
I've made a lot of very nice gin using less than neutral spirit. The base spirit only has to be a match for the gin.
OttoFoasson
Novice

Post by OttoFoasson »

I usually tend to invest heavily in new hobbies (and then not have time for it in the end). So I’ve learned to take it slow, or at least trying to. Also, I don’t even drink that much anymore!

I really like the possibility to redistill old bottles I find in the pantry. With small stovetop still it’s so easy! I’ve done some old vermouth, a lot of cheap pisco and a bottle of Hungarian chili booze. Some aromas are still there, most are not. Then I macerate whatever that think would suit the redistilled base. So far only botanicals that I have some experience from (sloe, cloudberries, wormwood and bitter orange). More bitters are on the way.

If I do not like the result I’ll just redistill it, MacGyver style. Distilling small amounts take less than an hour! If I like it I will never be able to recreate it! Like cooking with leftovers. :D

I’m looking forward to find more salvageable booze! :ebiggrin:
OttoFoasson
Novice

Post by OttoFoasson »

Today I made my first OEG, just a small batch from 550ml vodka. I added a little water to the pot, so a total volume of 700ml in the 5l pot. Botanicals in pot during distilling. Worked great!

Tomorrow I’ll do a gin based on a not-so-neutral base (apple/quince). OEG but with bitter orange and angelica root.

To summarize my answer to the original question:
The 5l soldered moonshine still works great. No need to go smaller IMHO. I’m glad I didn’t order any of the more complicated ones. Maybe a thermometer on the head would have been useful, but I don’t miss it.

I don’t have a good way to measure ABV when doing small batches and/or taking many cuts. The alcoholmeter requires quite some liquid. A smaller one with a tighter glass would be great. Or a mini-parrot…

All in all a great success!

Next up is a new still for neutral. But that is another thread. Thanks everyone!