Thumper Attachment Thingy for New Boiler

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

brewbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Thumper Attachment Thingy for New Boiler

Post by brewbob »

Made a contraption to use my new boiler as a thumper. I haven't seen it done quite like this before probably do to cost, I have an ungodly amount of free fittings available so cost wasn't a factor. The reasoning behind the top exit is I want to experiment with a short riser with 1-5" roll of copper in it and a slight trickle through the dephleg, if it doesn't scrub too much flavor I might be able to do a one and done. Either way it's unique and I like it.

It's a 2" T with a 2x1 ftg x c reducer inserted backwards with a 1" street elbow. Kinda fun to solder like this, turns out order of operations is key.

Comments welcome, good, bad, telling me I should stop sipping and soldering just because I have free copper. :lol:
20231124_114224.jpg
20231124_115209.jpg
20231124_115221.jpg
20231124_115316.jpg
Brewbob

1"x24" CM
2"x52" Slant Plate
2"x18" Pot Still w/ Liebig
2" modular
Wildcats
Distiller

Re: Thumper Attachment Thingy for New Boiler

Post by Wildcats »

I like it. Personally I'd use as many TC Ferrule as possible. That way all parts stay modular. Looks like it'll do what you want it to. There is a way to make that system modular. And still be able to use the Tee on different configurations. Twisted Brick did his that way.. and I think Yummy as well. I like the vapor feed coming in to the side of the Tee like you have it. Thanks for sharing this.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Nicely done Brewbob :thumbup:

I find the top exit mush more flexible than the side exit.
Was just a bit more bother to make . Mind-you , I was using Aussie copper fittings that are a little shorter than the US ones and wanted to squeeze a triclamp to the side as well .
IMG_9083.jpeg
viewtopic.php?p=7475122#p7475122
brewbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by brewbob »

Wildcats wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:31 am I like it. Personally I'd use as many TC Ferrule as possible. That way all parts stay modular. Looks like it'll do what you want it to. There is a way to make that system modular. And still be able to use the Tee on different configurations. Twisted Brick did his that way.. and I think Yummy as well. I like the vapor feed coming in to the side of the Tee like you have it. Thanks for sharing this.
Thanks. I wasn't worried about this thing being modular, I have so many other modular 2" parts I figured I'd spend the money on grain instead of more ferrules, gaskets, clamps.
Yummyrum wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 2:37 pm Nicely done Brewbob :thumbup:

I find the top exit mush more flexible than the side exit.
Was just a bit more bother to make . Mind-you , I was using Aussie copper fittings that are a little shorter than the US ones and wanted to squeeze a triclamp to the side as well .
IMG_9083.jpeg
viewtopic.php?p=7475122#p7475122
Thank you. That's nice! I think I've seen that at some point on here, probably where my brain came up with idea. Looks familiar.
Brewbob

1"x24" CM
2"x52" Slant Plate
2"x18" Pot Still w/ Liebig
2" modular
Beerswimmer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Beerswimmer »

The best design there is! :thumbup: I use one and love it!
Ut Alii Vivant!!!!
Dancing4dan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dancing4dan »

Nice!

If you run the steam arm from boiler to the thumper uphill, less liquid will be added to the thumper as the run progresses. Just put longer legs on the thumper and flip your steam arm assembly over.
"What harms us is to persist in self deceit and ignorance"
Marcus Aurelius
I’m not an alcoholic! I’m a drunk. Alcoholics go to meetings!
Beerswimmer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Beerswimmer »

And this design is perfect for that, the infinite height adjustment!
Ut Alii Vivant!!!!