Liquid fluxes similar to Harris Stay Clean

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Skál
Site Donor
Site Donor

Liquid fluxes similar to Harris Stay Clean

Post by Skál »

With Harris Stay Clean Liquid Flux sometimes being hard to get hold of or extremely expensive outside of the U.S.A. I have, at various times looked for equivalent performing fluxes. Thought it might be helpful to some throw in a table of listed contents for similar liquid fluxes as per their data sheets.

FLUX__________________________________ AMMONIUM CHLORIDE___ZINC CHLORIDE____HYDROCHLORIC ACID____OTHER

Activ8 102 liquid flux____________________<30____________________NA _____________NA ___________________Urea <30%
Superior No22__________________________NA ____________________30-40% _________0.5-5%_________________NA
Oatey No 11___________________________3-7%___________________15-40%__________10-30%_________________NA
Griffon GRF S39________________________10-25%_________________25-50%__________NA____________________Ethanediol>2.5<10% Glycerol 1-2.5%
Harris Stay Clean_______________________ 5-25%_________________<30%____________<5%___________________ Methyl Alcohol<5% Water
Bakers No3 Flux ________________________1-10%__________________20-30%__________NA____________________NA
Rubyfluid Stainless Steel_________________NA_____________________30-45%__________3-10%_________________Ethylene Glycol 20-50%
Duzall Flux ____________________________5-20%__________________5-70%___________5-15%__________________Glycerin <5% Methanol <5%
Weldbraze Liquid Flux___________________NA _____________________40% ____________<5%___________________Low Hazard Salts 5-15%

Apologies its so cluttered, i had it set as a table but having difficulties.
Last edited by acfixer69 on Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: HSB is the solder
Dancing4dan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Liquid fluxes similar to Harris Stay Clean

Post by Dancing4dan »

Skál wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:02 pm Apologies its so cluttered, i had it set as a table but having difficulties.
Try taking a screen shot and load it as a photo
"What harms us is to persist in self deceit and ignorance"
Marcus Aurelius
I’m not an alcoholic! I’m a drunk. Alcoholics go to meetings!
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Dancing4dan wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:31 pm
Skál wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:02 pm Apologies its so cluttered, i had it set as a table but having difficulties.
IMG_3142.jpeg
Cheers.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Skál
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Skál »

Dancing4dan wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:31 pm
Thanks for the screenshot SS.
Last edited by Skál on Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Thanks for the info and Still_stirrn for the table .

I’m still using a bottle of Duzzall , I bought in New Zealand over 40 years ago . It works perfectly on stainless and Copper .
My Grandfarther was a plumber . Always made his own by collecting all the off cuts from galvanised iron and dropping them into Hydrochloric acid until all the zinc had reacted ( turned into zinc Chloride ) and stopped fizzing .
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Yummyrum wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:58 pm Thanks for the info and Still_stirrn for the table .

I’m still using a bottle of Duzzall , I bought in New Zealand over 40 years ago . It works perfectly on stainless and Copper .
My Grandfarther was a plumber . Always made his own by collecting all the off cuts from galvanised iron and dropping them into Hydrochloric acid until all the zinc had reacted ( turned into zinc Chloride ) and stopped fizzing .
Yes I did it too and it works...if you add a source of ammonium chloride. Phosphoric acid also works well.