New Keg Still Build

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Re: New Keg Still Build

Post by Salt Must Flow »

KegStand wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:19 pm
Salt Must Flow wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:07 pm In my opinion, in the long run electric was absolutely the way to go for me. I've had high 95% ABV alcohol leak from Tri-Clamp joints before and it would have absolutely ignited if I ran off of flame. I distill indoor and ventilation would be necessary with propane. That isn't convenient in the cold months. I hate running out of of propane, changing tanks and having them refilled.

Electric is quiet, safer in my opinion, doesn't require ventilation and distilling indoors requires no special considerations. Even distilling outdoor with electric would be ideal for me. I can easily insulate my boiler with whatever I want. I have precise and repeatable control with electric. Electric is of unlimited and continuous supply. I also enjoy using my bottom drain too much to ever consider removing it and switching to flame.
Thanks! I cut my holes in the keg today after work. So the bandaid has been ripped off and the parts are going to be welded on.

I’ll have a 1.5” ferrule for the element and a 3/4” elbow for a drain tube at the dead center bottom. There’s no turning back now! :mrgreen:
Sounds good. A 3/4" bottom drain is ok, but a 1" drain is much faster. It may not sound like a big difference, but it really is. I used to have 3/4" drains, but I stepped them up to 1" and it flowed probably at least twice as fast.
KegStand
Novice

Build pics

Post by KegStand »

Ok guys. Here’s some pics of the build..

Thanks to a good friend that owns a welding shop, I was able to get everything welded up for $50 and a case of beer!
IMG_9528.jpeg
IMG_9529.jpeg
IMG_9530.jpeg
KegStand
Novice

Heating

Post by KegStand »

For the heating portion, I chose to go with a 1.5” 240v 5500w Dernord heating element.

For the control portion, I chose to go the easy route and buy the controller kit from Still Dragon’s website. The kit was pretty straight forward and I got the 10awg wire at a local box store and the plugs came pretty quick from Amazon.

I didn’t want to limit myself to distilling in one area of the house. So, I found a 25’ 10awg 30A dryer cord.
IMG_9533.jpeg
IMG_9534.jpeg
Attachments
IMG_8269.jpeg
IMG_8265.jpeg
Last edited by KegStand on Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

Looking good, kegstand. I’m sure she’s going to keep you entertained for quite a while!

One thing jumped out at me, based on my experience. My first controller build was similar, with a long power cord, dryer plugs, etc. I have since rebuilt it, and now use NEMA L6-30 connections on both the input and output side of the box, as well as for the element itself. The dryer plug isn’t designed to be plugged in and out repeatedly, and it’s a bit of a pain to get to in my house. This way, I can leave the cord plugged in safely, and just connect it to the box when I want to use it. It also makes it very easy to have and use other cords (I made one for a 110v outlet as well, so I can use it to control a hot plate), and the box itself is a lot easier to store when not in use.
Learn from the past, live in the present, change the future.
KegStand
Novice

Post by KegStand »

Steve Broady wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:16 am Looking good, kegstand. I’m sure she’s going to keep you entertained for quite a while!

One thing jumped out at me, based on my experience. My first controller build was similar, with a long power cord, dryer plugs, etc. I have since rebuilt it, and now use NEMA L6-30 connections on both the input and output side of the box, as well as for the element itself. The dryer plug isn’t designed to be plugged in and out repeatedly, and it’s a bit of a pain to get to in my house. This way, I can leave the cord plugged in safely, and just connect it to the box when I want to use it. It also makes it very easy to have and use other cords (I made one for a 110v outlet as well, so I can use it to control a hot plate), and the box itself is a lot easier to store when not in use.

You know, I actually bought the plugs initially to do exactly what you said (and still have them). I may end up doing. Going to mess around a bit and get some experience under my belt and go from there.

The main reason I went with the dryer to dryer plugs is because I can multi purpose the dryer cord for my generator when hurricane season comes and knocks our power out and I can back feed my power with the generator. I know, I know.. back feeding is dangerous… but going a week w/o power and air conditions in 90+ degree weather ain’t an option around here.
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

KegStand wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:26 am The main reason I went with the dryer to dryer plugs is because I can multi purpose the dryer cord for my generator when hurricane season comes and knocks our power out and I can back feed my power with the generator. I know, I know.. back feeding is dangerous… but going a week w/o power and air conditions in 90+ degree weather ain’t an option around here.
Right there with you! I’m on a well, so a week without power means a week without water. I ended up putting an outlet on the wall in my garage, so that I can leave the generator outside. FYI, double check the amperage on the generator vs the dryer circuit. Mine can max out higher than the 30A that my dryer plug is rated for.

That said, there’s no reason you can’t use the stuff you bought and the generator. In my case, I bought a Y splitter for the dryer cord, and leave the dryer plugged in all the time. DON’T USE IT WHILE STILLING! Then I have my still cord plugging into that, easily stored and reachable beside the dryer. All I have to do is pick it up and plug it into the controller. You could easily make a double bed make adapter or cord to connect the generation to the same cord as well.
KegStand
Novice

Post by KegStand »

Steve Broady wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:37 am
KegStand wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:26 am The main reason I went with the dryer to dryer plugs is because I can multi purpose the dryer cord for my generator when hurricane season comes and knocks our power out and I can back feed my power with the generator. I know, I know.. back feeding is dangerous… but going a week w/o power and air conditions in 90+ degree weather ain’t an option around here.
Right there with you! I’m on a well, so a week without power means a week without water. I ended up putting an outlet on the wall in my garage, so that I can leave the generator outside. FYI, double check the amperage on the generator vs the dryer circuit. Mine can max out higher than the 30A that my dryer plug is rated for.

That said, there’s no reason you can’t use the stuff you bought and the generator. In my case, I bought a Y splitter for the dryer cord, and leave the dryer plugged in all the time. DON’T USE IT WHILE STILLING! Then I have my still cord plugging into that, easily stored and reachable beside the dryer. All I have to do is pick it up and plug it into the controller. You could easily make a double bed make adapter or cord to connect the generation to the same cord as well.
Wise words. Thanks man. I’ll have to check again but I believe my generator is 240w and 30amp. But I’ll have to double check.

I like the idea of making a splitter. Sounds like another project coming up 😂
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

KegStand wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:44 am I like the idea of making a splitter. Sounds like another project coming up 😂
It’s $40 on Amazon. I don’t think you can buy the parts to make one for that price!
IMG_4684.jpeg
https://a.co/d/7vmu30q
KegStand
Novice

Post by KegStand »

Steve Broady wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:51 am
KegStand wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:44 am I like the idea of making a splitter. Sounds like another project coming up 😂
It’s $40 on Amazon. I don’t think you can buy the parts to make one for that price!
IMG_4684.jpeg
https://a.co/d/7vmu30q
Ordered. Will be here today! 😆