first all grain update

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Manic Mechanic
Novice

first all grain update

Post by Manic Mechanic »

Please see pictures below. I need to know if this is normal. This is from a stripping run of my first bourbon. Second and third jar get cloudy and a little tan around low 40's mid 30's. Light film on top gets progressively worse. last 200ml clear up at about 25%.
Clawhammer copper reflux still run without packing, 25-35 ml/min, down to 25%yield 3400 ml at 43%.

6.5 gallons water
7# flaked maze, 1# flaked rye, 20 oz of alpha at 165 degrees stir until below 150
at 150 2# 6 row, 2# rye malt. stir every 15 mins wrapped up until below 140, add glouco keep at 140 for 2 hours
cool to 85. aerate, pitch yeast, ferment 80 hours. start 1.065 finish .992, about 9%
Strain on day four, rest sealed in fermenter with airlock for 7-10 days, siphon and strip.
smells ok and tastes a bit sharp at second jar. a little rougher than UJSM. Maybe the rye?
let me know if this is normal or i need to make changes, this is my third strip, two to go then Bourbon spirit run.
Attachments
IMG_3625.jpg
IMG_3623.jpg
IMG_3622.jpg
IMG_3621.jpg
IMG_3620.jpg
IMG_3619.jpg
tjsc5f
Swill Maker

Re: first all grain update

Post by tjsc5f »

In my experience, that's normal for an all grain stripping run. It will clean up just fine during the spirit run.
Avalir
Swill Maker

Post by Avalir »

To me it looks like the still puked, which is all fine and normal on a srip run - it's usually do to the boiler being overly full, a wash that likes to foam, and/or running it too hot. Some people will add butter to counteract some foaming/puking, but unless it's causing the column to get clogged (a serious problem), which it shouldn't since there was no packing, I wouldn't bother with additives to negate it; in my humble opinion, it's just that much more flavor that'll carry over to the spirit run.
"I am a man. And I can change. If I want to. I guess." ~Red Green
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

First thought was a midrun puke.
Then I backed up and read it was an AG stripping run.
Yes, it's normal to have some oil towards the end, then have clearer low proof whiskey flavored sweetwater.

My 2 cents worth.
I'd let the lowines sit for a day and use white paper towels or cotton to soak up the oil on the surface to get rid of it, before redistilling.
Homebrewer11777
Novice

Post by Homebrewer11777 »

Interesting to see a stripping run collected in sequential jars. I've not done that I always just toss a bit of fore shots then dump collection jar by jar directly into a carboy until the stripping run is done. I do notice the jars tend to get cloudy/oil-ly after going below about 40% abv. The cloudy disappears when I initially dump these into the carboy but once the carboy falls below around 40% the cloudiness usually comes back. I aim to keep collecting until the low wines are well under 30% ABV which will mean ABV at the spout is well under 10%, time permitting going all the way to 2%. My low wine carboys are cloudy and all grain batches will typically have oil slick whereas this is less the case with the sugar washes and sugarheads.

Interesting to see the advice from @shadylane to not carry those oils into the spirit run. I've been thinking would be a source of some of the flavors I'm hoping to get in my final product.

One more thought regarding cloudiness and puking. Most/worste cloudy low wines I have seen were from a stripping run that puked. Second most were the stripping run immediately following that run. This went cloudy at 50% or even higher. After that run I did a vinegar run followed by water run and started using antifoam and haven't seen anything like that since.
Chucker
Swill Maker

Post by Chucker »

Looks typical to me. Spirit run will be a completely different creature.
Buffalo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Buffalo »

Looks normal to me, I used to collect the stripping run in jars and would see what you have. I've since gone to a single pot to collect in with the stripping run. Never had issues with with the spirit run even with some oily tails and a little color.
Good luck
Lc 1ace
Novice

Post by Lc 1ace »

You had a boil over. Your mash foamed up and came over. Usually happens because of the rye. Rye has a lot of protiens in it that causes it to foam a lot during stripping runs. Any time you see discoloration come across turn your heat down right away. It ain't no big deal, it will clear up on your spirit run. It will usually give it a little extra flavor too. I always use lots of rye in my grain bill, like 50%. So I've had it happen to me more than once! It's just a learning curve.
Lc 1ace
Novice

Post by Lc 1ace »

I just realised you are running a relfux still. My advice was for a pot still. My bad. Can't help you on that one!