Hello

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Peaty Jones
Novice

Hello

Post by Peaty Jones »

New user In this Forum but gained much knowledge by reading from here. Im a 35y old guy from Finland. Got the idea of distilling hobby about 4 years ago. Been trying to make a still since then and im happy to announce that I just ran my sacrificial run yesterday :clap:.

My setup is a 50l beer keg In which there is welded 2" triclamp ferrules for the 3kW heating element and for the column. There is also a 6" ferrule on top for filling and cleaning. 2" triclamp Components to run either reflux or pot still Mode. The heating element is controlled via PID thermostat. Condenser and reflux are cooled with a bond pump (I was surprised how much cooling capacity you need for the condenser. Had about 20kg of ice and 30l of water and In the end of the run the water was about 60C. On my calculations its bit over 5kwh of energy). This may be my next quest, to develop an better/simpler cooling setup.

It took me so long to have my setup done because I have had no time and resources (had two kids mean while) but the thought has been there In the back of my mind almost obsessively. I have dreamed of malting and peating (smoking) barley myself by useing local ingredients and use it to make peated scotch whiskey (I think drinking Laphroaig inspired me In to it). I hope I have more time for the hobby when the Kids grow but ofcourse they Come first.
Last edited by Peaty Jones on Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bolverk
Trainee

Re: Hello

Post by Bolverk »

Welcome aboard
There are two types of people in this world.
1. Those that can extrapolate from incomplete information.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Welcome and 🍻
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sadie33 »

Hello and welcome!!