Rum Runners

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

NorthWoodsAb
Swill Maker

Rum Runners

Post by NorthWoodsAb »

So a few others have shared a bit of family history related to Prohibition.
My Grandfather was a rum runner, bootlegger and ran a still, all from the family farm on the North shore of PEI. He sold rum from the early 1920's into 1950s. His main supplier for nearly 20 years was Captain Dicks, master of the Nelly J Banks, until she was seized in the late 1930's. After the Nelly J was taken out of action smaller vessels made the trek to the French islands of St Pierre and Miquelon, off the coast of New Foundland and ferried rum back to a number of "distributors" on PEI who then sold the rum to thirsty customers. A lot of farmers and small businessmen became wealthy beyond what the farm or small business could possibly dream of earning. My Grand father never got busted by RCMP. He was raided on 3 or 4 occasions but his stash was never found by authorities.
The farm owned 2 pieces of shore front. The shore directly behind the house had a small lobster factory on the adjoining property, owned by 3 brothers that were in cahoots with my GF. They owned sturdy little boats that could safely rendezvous with the Nelly J, 3 miles off shore.the second shore front piece was a Rocky cove with 2 large flat rock flats jutting into the Gulf on either side of the cove with fairly deep water and tall nearly vertical cliff that was nearly impossible to climb. It also had a natural cave. The cave was the reason raids on the farm were never successful and only a small handful of people knew of the cave and landing point. The cave was also the reason GF could buy and store half a boat load of rum at a time. Reducing frequency of shipments reduced risk of being caught.
Part of the bank collapsed sometime in the 1950's leaving a huge slab of sandstone 2m thick x 15m long and 3m wide standing on edge at the base of the bank, covering the cave entrance. He and my Dad showed it to my brother and I in the early 70's. They said there were still kegs of rum in there with no hope of ever moving "that damn rock". That rock is still there, my siblings and I still own the property that has been in the family since 1803.
In 2004 my Grand Mother was 100 years old. My wife, daughter and I were visiting her one Sunday afternoon as was our custom. She started telling us about going out on one of the boats one time and having "a grand supper with Captain Dicks aboard the Nelly J and bringing the rum back to shore and putting it in the cave. "Oh that was a lovely spot to hide stuff, Then that damn rock fell" she said. I hadn't heard mention of the rock or cave since being a kid in the 70's, even then I was never really sure if the story was fact or fantasy until she mentioned it batter of facts out of the blue.
Prohibition became law in 1901 and wasn't lifted on PEI until 1961. The Rum Rummers could literally make a life long career out of it. My GF retired from it sometime in the 50's after the rock fell.
CBC did an interview with my Grand Mother in the 80's it aired on TV. If I ever find a link to it I'll post it.
Slaintè

Edited a spelling mistake

https://www.52-pickup.ca/leona.htm
image002.jpg
Last edited by NorthWoodsAb on Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Re: Rum Runners

Post by LWTCS »

That's a pretty well told bit of your family history.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Rum Runners. That's the name of the bar that I hung out at as a kid. It was located on the Windsor Detroit border, Windsor side. Located at the edge of the Detroit River. It had a tunnel underground from river to bar. Obviously for smuggling during prohibition. The door has long been sealed off,but the tunnel is still last I heard.
Didn't mean to derail your thread,but cool story 🍻
And for the topic,I'm The first one as far as I know to distill spirits in my family. Only beer makers,but I can't drink beer,so here I am
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
NorthWoodsAb
Swill Maker

Post by NorthWoodsAb »

Bradster68 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:15 am Didn't mean to derail your thread,but cool story 🍻
And for the topic,I'm The first one as far as I know to distill spirits in my family.
No problem at all Bradster.

Cheers
NorthWoodsAb
Swill Maker

Post by NorthWoodsAb »

LWTCS wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:59 am That's a pretty well told bit of your family history.
Thanks Larry.
MooseMan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MooseMan »

What a lovely bit of family history.

It's awesome that your family still own the property all the way from the early 1800's.
And to think that there are possibly still kegs of rum in that cave! Wow

Thanks for sharing this with us.
Make Booze, not War!
NorthWoodsAb
Swill Maker

Post by NorthWoodsAb »

MooseMan wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:16 pm What a lovely bit of family history.

It's awesome that your family still own the property all the way from the early 1800's.
And to think that there are possibly still kegs of rum in that cave! Wow

Thanks for sharing this with us.
Thanks Moose. There very well could be kegs in there.
Part of the reason Grand Father never got caught was because of the 15 gal kegs. He never sold bottles. He sold by the keg and others took the risk of getting caught selling bottles.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Fantastic story Northwoods .

Oh man , there had to be a way around that rock .
NorthWoodsAb
Swill Maker

Post by NorthWoodsAb »

Yummyrum wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:33 am Fantastic story Northwoods .

Oh man , there had to be a way around that rock .
Dynamite would be an option. Real problem was access.
Grand Father had traded off a piece of the property with a neighbour, many years ago. Kept the 5 acres of shore front, and farmed the 20 acres from the main road back toward the shore. He traded off 25 acres of land that had 10 acres of swamp in it. Between the shore and his field isolating that piece of shore front from any public access.
The shorefront was land locked. No right of way or access to it from public road.
That was a cagey deal. The neighbour still had 5 or 6 acres of hay on that 25 acres when I was a kid but he had access from his own property.
Boat was the only real way to get in there.
Some American bought neighboring property and put in a cottage and access road in past 15 years.
I was home 2015 sitting on the bank looking down at the cove and a guy came over and asked me "what I are you doing on his property. I've never seen you before"
"I'm not on your property, I'm on my own property, you're new here there is a lot you don't know"