All Bran Recipe

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: All Bran Recipe

Post by still_stirrin »

rgreen,

My grocery has shelves of cereal and I use the generic bran flakes, nothing special. Of note, the prices on all cereal grains are higher now because of Covid. But they’re still available here.

I would think a generic raisin bran cereal would work great too...the raisins are great nutrients.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

Add me to the list of those amazed by this T&T Recipe... :thumbup: But it took awhile to get through all 67 pages of this!!!

25L/6 gal wash
8 lbs sugar inverted
2 boxes of "twiggy" All-Bran (overkill, I know -- but I wanted to see how much wheat flavor comes through)
* did not boil them. Just soaked in the inverted sugar overnight & they basically "decomposed" into tiny bits
2 Tbsp DADY
1 Tbsp DAP
~1 cup oyster shells in muslin bag for pH management
2L of backset from a Kashi run that turned out delicious in my 2l barrel. Kashi is a similar high-vitamin/all natural organic cereal.
SG: 1.085
pH: 5.15

7 days later, FG: 0.998, pH: 4.01

I plan on employing the 1.5 distillation technique for optimum flavor carry-over & aging on med oak cubes (or I just remembered: I have oak spirals too!!).

I've not seen much on aging recommendations through the 11 years of posts! Please reply with your success stories! :D
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

rubberduck71 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:25 pm...I plan on employing the 1.5 distillation technique for optimum flavor carry-over & aging on med oak cubes (or I just remembered: I have oak spirals too!!).

I've not seen much on aging recommendations through the 11 years of posts! Please reply with your success stories! :D
Rubberduck,

This recipe makes a great NEUTRAL. There are better recipes for “flavored spirits”, especially for a whiskey-like spirit.

Trying to extract flavor from a neutral basic recipe can lead to frustration. But, maybe you’ll get what you want....or, think you want.
ss
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

still_stirrin wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:36 pm
Rubberduck,

This recipe makes a great NEUTRAL. There are better recipes for “flavored spirits”, especially for a whiskey-like spirit.

Trying to extract flavor from a neutral basic recipe can lead to frustration. But, maybe you’ll get what you want....or, think you want.
ss
SS totally understand that it was to replace Turbo Washes, but I recall seeing some folks reporting good tasting results from potstilling (I don't have a reflux), so I thought I'd give it a go. If no likey, can push it to a 2.5 technique! :wink:
desmo_2
Novice

Post by desmo_2 »

I have made two runs of this so far (5 gallons each...my maiden voyages into the home distilling world). While I am reading a lot of people saying 60% is the higher limit for pot still production, my first 40-50 oz have been up to 66% (minus 4-5 oz fore shots).
I made noobie cuts and proofed both runs (86 proof and 92 proof)...but I don't find them to be all that enjoyable. Low wines or not, I wanted to taste what I got from a single run just to educate myself.
I have about 1.47 gallons of product from those two runs. I am planning to strip two more runs, then combine all runs into another spirit run.
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

rubberduck71 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:06 pm
still_stirrin wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:36 pm
Rubberduck,

ss
SS totally understand that it was to replace Turbo Washes, but I recall seeing some folks reporting good tasting results from potstilling (I don't have a reflux), so I thought I'd give it a go. If no likey, can push it to a 2.5 technique! :wink:
I make my version of faux whisky on a pot still doing 1.5 distillation using processed bran as a flavour base, that and medium roast french oak. It is not whisky, not even a passable faux whisky but it is a fine flavoursome sipping spirit that I use when I’d otherwise use scotch. It has way more character than a neutral even when coming straight off the still :thumbup:
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

kimbodious wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:24 pm
I make my version of faux whisky on a pot still doing 1.5 distillation using processed bran as a flavour base, that and medium roast french oak. It is not whisky, not even a passable faux whisky but it is a fine flavoursome sipping spirit that I use when I’d otherwise use scotch. It has way more character than a neutral even when coming straight off the still :thumbup:
I may go purchase a wheat whiskey from the liquor store, just to try for comparison's sake. My All Bran is just aging in the jar at the moment.

KB, how long do you age it on the french oak? I was planning on using it for some blending into future all-grains or even some experimenting with the Odin Rye Bread I have in stock.
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

rubberduck71 wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:17 am
kimbodious wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:24 pm
I may go purchase a wheat whiskey from the liquor store, just to try for comparison's sake. My All Bran is just aging in the jar at the moment.

KB, how long do you age it on the french oak? I was planning on using it for some blending into future all-grains or even some experimenting with the Odin Rye Bread I have in stock.
I age on French Oak for a minimum of three months after which I start taking weekly samples before determining when to dilute and bottle it (usually around 6 months).

My recipe is not the same as the All Bran recipe, but it is close. I changed to simple processed bran after noting all the additives in All Bran plus the expense.

Store bought whiskies are usually aged in/ with some form of used oak whether it was sherry port or wine barrels. That certainly adds significant flavour character to the store bought spirits. Unless you use similar used oak your spirits will always be different to what you buy, vive la difference!
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
LandofSunSnow
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by LandofSunSnow »

Wow this one takes off like a rocket...waited a half hour after adding yeast before air lock and blam...what a mess. Next time I will follow instructions and wait an hour. lol
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

This is my “go to” recipe for a neutral. Easy to make, and predictable time after time. It’ll start quick and drive to terminal in just a few days.

Thanks Rad.
ss
LandofSunSnow
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by LandofSunSnow »

still_stirrin wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:19 pm This is my “go to” recipe for a neutral. Easy to make, and predictable time after time. It’ll start quick and drive to terminal in just a few days.

Thanks Rad.
ss
I agree SS. Just put my second wash into action and this is so easy. Thanks for sharing this Rad!
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Doing this again and gonna charcoal filter it see if that makes a taste difference indeed I need to buy some peat malt and quit playing with sugar I have enough sugar shine
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Hi,

I did the recipe yesterday, the only hard part of this recipe is after inverting the sugar putting it back in the fermenter, unfortunately my fermenter has a small opening so after inverting the sugar I was trying to target the opening for pouring it down, I spilled over and had a really hard time cleaning :) in fact it took me an hour, so I was wondering how everybody overcome this problem ?, or maybe it is not a problem if you have a large bucket.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Funnel?
Copper or stainless, NOT plastic (which is a no no anyway but will MELT if the invert sugar is too hot;
but of course you would not do anything so dangerous as carrying over-hot syrup).

Geoff
The Baker
Tom Kat
Swill Maker

Post by Tom Kat »

Waiting for it to cool off to pitch my DADY....
20210324_181350.jpg
There's no place like home
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

Tom, you’re at 100*F.

Pitch it! The yeast will love the jacuzzi bath! They’ll start fast and finish fast. 2, maybe 3 days!
ss
Tom Kat
Swill Maker

Post by Tom Kat »

Did it at 95, should be good
BamaHawk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BamaHawk »

still_stirrin wrote:Tom, you’re at 100*F.

Pitch it! The yeast will love the jacuzzi bath! They’ll start fast and finish fast. 2, maybe 3 days!
ss
You have a lot more experience than me but from what I have read on HD this would theoretically stress the yeast.

What is the benefit of pitching at 100F versus 90F and what are the risks of doing so? I'm assuming the yeast used makes a difference as well.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

BamaHawk wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:09 pm What is the benefit of pitching at 100F versus 90F and what are the risks of doing so?

I'm assuming the yeast used makes a difference as well.
This recipe uses baker’s yeast. And baker’s yeast LOVES a warmer environment. Your mom would put her bread dough on the stove top under a moist tea towel while the oven warmed up, remember?

Baker’s yeast will start at “body temperature”, easily. I typically rehydrate the dry yeast in water that is warm to the touch. And when you feel it “warm” to your body, it is most likely at 105*F, or even warmer. Certainly, it won’t start to “kill” the yeast until the water is 120*F, or even warmer. Water warm enough for you to bathe in it would be quite comfortable for baker’s yeast too.

Finally, the wash temperature is falling, meaning that when measured at 100*F, it is still cooling to ambient temperature...unless the ambient temperature is ABOVE 100*F. So, pitching baker’s yeast as your wash is cooling (from 100*F) will NOT hurt it. If anything, it will give it a “kick in the butt”.

I have pitched baker’s yeast into worts at temperatures as high as 120*F while I’m running the runoff into my fermenters. And very often the ferment is very active by the time I finish runoff (I lauter my mashes, remember?). It is like a “jumpstart” to the ferment. And, as I’ve noted, often my ferments are “terminal” after 2 or 3 days. BOOM!
ss
Tom Kat
Swill Maker

Post by Tom Kat »

Just checked and I have a nice steady bubble going...
opus345
Novice

Post by opus345 »

Great recipe Rad! :thumbup:

Made two batches (5 gal) while waiting for my milk can boiler to get off the boat. No problems with the fermentations at all. With the extra time, they both cleared up with a compact cake. I used the first batch for my sacrificial run and it pained me to toss it, but I did. Ran the second batch the next day and was impressed with how similar the runs were when I compared my notes between the sacrificial and my first run. Read Kiwi's cut guide a couple times and learned a ton, but also that I have a long way to go with my cut and blending skills. :? I plan to keep practicing and have already started a new AB batch. Time to find another TT recipe to work on. :P
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

opus345 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:30 am Time to find another TT recipe to work on. :P
Check out in Recipe Development: SCD Crow bourbon. It's excellent!

Duck
opus345
Novice

Post by opus345 »

Duck,

Thanks. Great recommendation! I've been drooling over SCD's Honey Bear Bourbon and think that might be my next TT recipe.

opus
deadliftsnstill
Novice

Post by deadliftsnstill »

As a literal brand new distiller (except one turbo wash in an airstill LOL) this was my first recipe. I am typically a whisky drinker so I built a potstill and hoping to get some wheat whisky notes between hearts and tails.
Above aside, has anyone added a little bit of LME to this to give it a more whisky ish note without the effort of AG? not even thinking a whole can, maybe 500g (=/-1lb)
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

deadliftsnstill wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:12 am … has anyone added a little bit of LME to this to give it a more whisky-ish note without the effort of AG? not even thinking a whole can, maybe 500g (=/-1lb)
Well, you can do it. Liquid malt extract certainly is fermentable material, but how much “flavor” you’ll extract to your product will depend on: 1) how you run it, 2) how you make your cuts, 3) the type of still you use, and finally 4) how much the extract actually contributes flavor to the beer. An extract is produced (mashed) by someone else, so you won’t have much control of the mash process or the selection of grains that went into the syrup.

Since wheat harvest here was finished in July, I’ve stored my wheat in the freezer. Then, a couple of weeks ago I weighed out 15 lb. of wheat berries and malted them. Finally, a week ago I made a wheat whiskey ferment (still in the fermenter now, finishing). The recipe includes some corn and flaked oats, as well as malted barley (6-row). We’ll see how much “flavor” the wheat brings to the whiskey recipe.

But all of this Q&A discussion should be in the Recipe Development forum, not this T&T forum. It is obviously off subject for this thread.
ss
deadliftsnstill
Novice

Post by deadliftsnstill »

Thanks SS, will do an experiment and start a thread if it works.
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

deadliftsnstill wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:19 pm Thanks SS, will do an experiment and start a thread if it works.
Dead, check out SCD's CROW bourbon in Recipe Development. The recipe itself is great as-is for making a tasty bourbon, but you can mess around with the grain ratios to fit the flavor profile you're after. I recently put some "high-rye" CROW on oak and it's looking (well...tasting, rather) potentially fantastic.

Also, keep that AirStill handy for small batches experiments of whiskey and/or gin (this All Bran recipe is primarily intended to make a neutral which can be used for that -- check out Odin's Easy Gin in Tried & True section). Not sure how big your new potstill is, but I typically get ~3-3.5 L of low wines from a 25L stripping run. Water it down with the balance of the 4L capacity of the AirStill & it fits perfectly. Once you find something you like, scale it up to 3x25L fermenters, strip them, and combine in your bigger still for the spirit run.

Be strict on your cuts & you'll get some fine product. Lots of reading ahead for ya -- check out Cranky's Beginner Thread.

Welcome to the rabbit hole. Enjoy!

Duck
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

Ok so I just put my first all bran wash. 4 gal wash.

Here is what I did.
1.5 gal water
15 cups of sugar bring to a boil.
8cups of all bran. Boil 10 mins with 1gal water.
Add 1.5 gals of cold water.
Pore all into 5 gal bucket.
Let cool to 90f.
Pitch 10 gm of red star daddy yeast.
Add 2tbls dap.
This is my first with this. Can't wait to see what it'll turn out like.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Did you take a gravity reading?
2Tblspns is a lot of dap IMO. Most 5 gallon batches I do 1 tsp and a multivitamin should be fine.
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

No I didn't take a sg reading. But got up this morning and it is going like crazy. My first time using dap. I took a teaspoon and filled it up twice. It's said 1/ 2 to 3/4 a gm pre gal on the pack. Hope I didn't mess it up....I don't have a way to check sg yet . Waiting on Amazon....