Hot Buttered Rum
A popular cocktail made with:
- 4 ounces (1 stick) room-temperature unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-1/2 ounces dark rum
- 3/4 cups boiling water
- Squeeze of fresh orange juice
Beat butter, sugar, orange zest, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg with a mixer on medium speed until combined, about 1 minute.
Combine 2 tablespoons spiced butter with 1 1/2 ounces (3 tablespoons) dark rum in each of 4 heatproof glasses. Pour 3/4 cup boiling water over each, and stir.
Top each with a squeeze of fresh orange juice.
See also: List of cocktails.