Buying Directly From China.

Research sources, reviews and links to information relating to distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

AB-Rad
Novice

Buying Directly From China.

Post by AB-Rad »

I did a search I saw people talking about buying parts from oak stills, but I am thinking about buying a complete still from them for about 4 grand and just a little nervous about handing over that sort of money to some company who has no US representation. IS there anyone here with any experience spending big money with them and can talk me through the process please, or any other Chinese company you have experience with.
Thanks
MooseMan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Buying Directly From China.

Post by MooseMan »

4 grand!?!!?!

How big is the still!? :-0
Make Booze, not War!
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

This tale from MtRainier is a real eye opener . :shock:

viewtopic.php?p=7558918&sid=f001b5004f7 ... b#p7558918
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

AB-Rad, whatcha planning on making with the new still?
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
harold01
Novice

Post by harold01 »

AB-Rad wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:24 pm I did a search I saw people talking about buying parts from oak stills, but I am thinking about buying a complete still from them for about 4 grand and just a little nervous about handing over that sort of money to some company who has no US representation. IS there anyone here with any experience spending big money with them and can talk me through the process please, or any other Chinese company you have experience with.
Thanks
Go to the Alibaba website, put in a request for tender, describe what you are wanting and wait for all the tenders to come in
Choose the one you want, pay through Alibaba and your money is safe, you will be refunded if the supplier does not supply the goods
tjsc5f
Swill Maker

Post by tjsc5f »

I've purchased several smaller components from Oakstills. If I had more disposable income, I would have no fears in forking over ~$2500 for the 100L, double jacketed boiler/agitator from them.
tommysb
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tommysb »

I recently bought parts from OakStills, no problems (spool, reducers, clamps etc - nothing as big as a boiler).

They were able to use a shipping option where import duties were already covered. Shipping took a long time (6 weeks?), but the price for everything was known upfront. I would have confidence handing over something like 4k usd to them if I wanted an order that large.
Powder Monkey
Novice

Post by Powder Monkey »

I’ll echo the experience with oak stills. I bought an agitator and various spools, reducers etc. Total was under the $800 customs limit and everything showed up faster than I anticipated, was well made and well packaged. Peter actually refunded part of my order on his own accord as he noticed a combined shipping that was included in the agitator price, but hadn’t applied to the total order. I hadn’t noticed it. So I was initially hesitant to fork over $ to a Chinese PayPal account but now have complete confidence and would order again.
Morning Wood
Novice

Post by Morning Wood »

I have not worked with Oak Stills, however we have worked with and continue to work with DYE out of China. We are opening later this year and ordered our still, cooker and 4 fermenters from them. Ian Smiley is one of their distilling consultants and he personally reached out to us to discuss our needs.
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

I also ordered a bunch of parts, approaching $1k US from Oak Stills and got everything on time no problem. The only negative i could say is their 3" tri-clamp seems just a hare outside of standard, but I've made it work.
Tōtōchtin

Post by Tōtōchtin »

Peter at oak stills has deliveried on all counts . He made good on an order that was more my problem than his.
Toto
Si vis pacem, para bellum
AB-Rad
Novice

Post by AB-Rad »

harold01 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:16 pm
AB-Rad wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:24 pm I did a search I saw people talking about buying parts from oak stills, but I am thinking about buying a complete still from them for about 4 grand and just a little nervous about handing over that sort of money to some company who has no US representation. IS there anyone here with any experience spending big money with them and can talk me through the process please, or any other Chinese company you have experience with.
Thanks
Go to the Alibaba website, put in a request for tender, describe what you are wanting and wait for all the tenders to come in
Choose the one you want, pay through Alibaba and your money is safe, you will be refunded if the supplier does not supply the goods
thanks i will go check it out
AB-Rad
Novice

Post by AB-Rad »

MooseMan wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:55 pm 4 grand!?!!?!

How big is the still!? :-0
26 gallon jacakted
AB-Rad
Novice

Post by AB-Rad »

Yummyrum wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:35 pm This tale from MtRainier is a real eye opener . :shock:

viewtopic.php?p=7558918&sid=f001b5004f7 ... b#p7558918
This is exactly what i was looking for. Thanks a bunch
AB-Rad
Novice

Post by AB-Rad »

Twisted Brick wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:51 pm AB-Rad, whatcha planning on making with the new still?
all sorts of goodies on the grain and fruit and etc no more straining and clearing because i am lazy:)
MooseMan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MooseMan »

Thanks for reply Rad.

That's a lot of money for a 100L still.
I totally get that it's jacketed so there's much more involved, but could you not buy a jacketed vessel and build one from there?

Not everyone enjoys the build process I suppose, and just wants a working unit out of the box, so these companies exist for that reason.
Make Booze, not War!
harold01
Novice

Post by harold01 »

IMG_0556.jpg
My 100L insulated was $2045 USD, ended up about 4K landed
AB-Rad
Novice

Post by AB-Rad »

MooseMan wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:10 pm Thanks for reply Rad.

That's a lot of money for a 100L still.
I totally get that it's jacketed so there's much more involved, but could you not buy a jacketed vessel and build one from there?

Not everyone enjoys the build process I suppose, and just wants a working unit out of the box, so these companies exist for that reason.
I looked around for a jacketed pot but cheapest i found was 3k just for the pot nothing else.
Powder Monkey
Novice

Post by Powder Monkey »

Just wanted to mention when I was pondering my setup upgrade I was looking at jacketed stuff but the price was out of my budget. I ended up buying an extra pot and made a steam injector for on the grain runs. Very happy on the performance for less cost. Extra 26g pot plus parts plus agitator and I’m in it for $1300ish. Plus can do thump runs so it is versatile. I posted pics in the steam build forum.
AB-Rad
Novice

Post by AB-Rad »

Powder Monkey wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:39 am Just wanted to mention when I was pondering my setup upgrade I was looking at jacketed stuff but the price was out of my budget. I ended up buying an extra pot and made a steam injector for on the grain runs. Very happy on the performance for less cost. Extra 26g pot plus parts plus agitator and I’m in it for $1300ish. Plus can do thump runs so it is versatile. I posted pics in the steam build forum.
I am not that handy, but post some pictures lets see what you did
Please and thank you
Powder Monkey
Novice

Post by Powder Monkey »

viewtopic.php?t=91741

In the scene of fabrication I can solder but not much more so I did as much plug and play/triclamp/threaded fittings. One piece needed welding for the injector interface where the 2” triclamp to 1” threaded reducer welded onto the underside of the 2”-4” reducer cap at the top of the injector T. (Not sure if that makes sense) I have a buddy that handled that.
oluf
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by oluf »

I am happy with my experience with Oakstills. They were very accommodating. Don't be afraid to ask for customization. Surprisingly affordable and quality work. They also sent progress pictures which was really cool. I had never imported anything before and that was an experience in itself! I used a broker. Be sure to wait for the export/customs documents from Oakstills before you make claims about value.