Brazilian Wood for Aging Cachaças

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Post Reply
OtisT
Site Donor
Site Donor
Posts: 2202
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:59 am
Location: Pacific Northwest

Brazilian Wood for Aging Cachaças

Post by OtisT » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:33 am

I recall several folks looking for wood types available in Brazil to use in aging cachaças. I just read an article in Popular Mechanics which listed some of the local woods being used for aging this sugar cane based spirit.

The article states that many of the first wood aged cachaças were aged in French Oak barrels. Then it describes more current trends using local woods.

“and now there are cachaças aged in resinous Brazilian woods such as amburana, bálsamo, tapinhoã, and jequitiba rosa. Unlike oak-aged whiskeys and cognacs, these spirits get their flavor from the oils and saps of the woods. “The barrels aren’t toasted,” says Nevenglosky. (Also, they’re 15 feet tall.) “

Can’t seem to copy a link for this article. The title is “The Best Booze Since Whiskey Comes from Brazil - Popular Mechanics”

Enjoy. Otis
Last edited by OtisT on Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels

User avatar
LWTCS
Site Mod
Posts: 11067
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:04 pm
Location: North Palm Beach

Re: Brazilian Wood for Aging Cachaças

Post by LWTCS » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:37 am

Thanks for posting Otis
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.

User avatar
Kareltje
Distiller
Posts: 1890
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:29 pm

Re: Brazilian Wood for Aging Cachaças

Post by Kareltje » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:31 pm

Maybe this works:
https://www.popularmechanics.com/scienc ... ca-brazil/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Although it has a different title, it seems to have the text you cited.

User avatar
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor
Posts: 566
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:40 am
Location: SE Michigan

Re: Brazilian Wood for Aging Cachaças

Post by DetroitDIY » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:41 pm

I have a bottle of Bento Velho, which is aged on jequitibá rosa and jatobá, but as I'm not to familiar with good cachaça, I can't say that I can distinguish what the woods are doing for it.

WithOrWithoutU2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Posts: 289
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:10 pm

Re: Brazilian Wood for Aging Cachaças

Post by WithOrWithoutU2 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:51 am

I discovered Cachacas about 12 months ago at a Brazilian Steak House. Love it! To me, it is a cross between really good rum and tequila. Personally, a good caiprinha drink showcases the Cachacas at it's best. Simply muddle 1/2 a lime with 2 tps of sugar in a shaker. Add 2 oz of Cachacas and ice. Shake well. Pour over rocks. Love it.

I've considered trying to make Cachacas but just not really practical as getting real sugar cane juice is too costly. For those that live in areas where sugar cane grows naturally, I love to hear if you are making any yourself and how you do it.
Last edited by WithOrWithoutU2 on Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor
Posts: 1472
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:00 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Brazilian Wood for Aging Cachaças

Post by nerdybrewer » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:49 am

I tried Brazilian Rosewood.
I'll save you some time and trouble.
Just don't.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.

User avatar
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor
Posts: 566
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:40 am
Location: SE Michigan

Re: Brazilian Wood for Aging Cachaças

Post by DetroitDIY » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:09 pm

Thanks Nerdy. I've got a bit of Brazilian Rosewood. Been making wooden kitchen utensils out of it. Hadn't thought about using it to age things. I also have some Massaranduba, and again hadn't thought of using it. I'm a bit afraid of aging on the vibrant colored (Massaranduba, not Brazilian Rosewood) woods as to my knowledge, the more vibrant, the more toxic. Don't know that that's always the case, but my limited knowledge rule of thumb.

User avatar
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor
Posts: 1472
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:00 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Brazilian Wood for Aging Cachaças

Post by nerdybrewer » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:34 am

DetroitDIY wrote:Thanks Nerdy. I've got a bit of Brazilian Rosewood. Been making wooden kitchen utensils out of it. Hadn't thought about using it to age things. I also have some Massaranduba, and again hadn't thought of using it. I'm a bit afraid of aging on the vibrant colored (Massaranduba, not Brazilian Rosewood) woods as to my knowledge, the more vibrant, the more toxic. Don't know that that's always the case, but my limited knowledge rule of thumb.
Rosewood was endangered after it was found that you could make a pretty powerful drug from it, by distillation of course.
There was a large scale decimation of the species so that socialites could have the latest craze.

When I put it in my rum it transferred a lot of color very quickly, that's when I thought I might be in trouble.
It tasted strange and made me feel a bit sick so I dumped it.
I believe it was half a gallon, so no great loss.
Best to try things in small batches out on the bleeding edge.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.

warp1
Site Donor
Site Donor
Posts: 199
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:21 am

Re: Brazilian Wood for Aging Cachaças

Post by warp1 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:21 pm

WithOrWithoutU2 wrote:I discovered Cachacas about 12 months ago at a Brazilian Steak House. Love it! To me, it is a cross between really good rum and tequila. Personally, a good caiprinha drink showcases the Cachacas at it's best. Simply muddle 1/2 a lime with 2 tps of sugar in a shaker. Add 2 oz of Cachacas and ice. Shake well. Pour over rocks. Love it.

I've considered trying to make Cachacas but just not really practical as getting real sugar cane juice is too costly. For those that live in areas where sugar cane grows naturally, I love to hear if you are making any yourself and how you do it.
Try panella....concentrates sugar cane juice....reasonable price. Used to be a contact on here that you could get it from

User avatar
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor
Posts: 1472
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:00 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Brazilian Wood for Aging Cachaças

Post by nerdybrewer » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:59 pm

warp1 wrote:
WithOrWithoutU2 wrote:I discovered Cachacas about 12 months ago at a Brazilian Steak House. Love it! To me, it is a cross between really good rum and tequila. Personally, a good caiprinha drink showcases the Cachacas at it's best. Simply muddle 1/2 a lime with 2 tps of sugar in a shaker. Add 2 oz of Cachacas and ice. Shake well. Pour over rocks. Love it.

I've considered trying to make Cachacas but just not really practical as getting real sugar cane juice is too costly. For those that live in areas where sugar cane grows naturally, I love to hear if you are making any yourself and how you do it.
Try panella....concentrates sugar cane juice....reasonable price. Used to be a contact on here that you could get it from
Anyone want to add anything?

His handle is Sugar Daddy.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.

User avatar
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor
Posts: 1890
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:16 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Brazilian Wood for Aging Cachaças

Post by Oldvine Zin » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:07 pm

:D
Has the quantity issue been resolved? Still the best deal on panella



OVZ

Windswept
Swill Maker
Posts: 196
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:32 pm

Re: Brazilian Wood for Aging Cachaças

Post by Windswept » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:46 am

I have a bottle of homemade cachaca from my visit to Brazil. I don’t know that I’ve ever tried it above once! I’ll have to rectify that!
If I didn't learn the hard way, I wouldn't learn at all!

OtisT
Site Donor
Site Donor
Posts: 2202
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:59 am
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Brazilian Wood for Aging Cachaças

Post by OtisT » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:13 am

Oldvine Zin wrote::D
Has the quantity issue been resolved? Still the best deal on panella

OVZ
Hi OVZ. Are you referring to the small bits of brissel I found in my first panela ferment? If so, that was just my issue. One of my cleaning brushes started coming apart about that time. I got back to Nerdy about it and he told Sugar Daddy it was my bad.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels

User avatar
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor
Posts: 1472
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:00 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Brazilian Wood for Aging Cachaças

Post by nerdybrewer » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:42 pm

OtisT wrote:
Oldvine Zin wrote::D
Has the quantity issue been resolved? Still the best deal on panella

OVZ
Hi OVZ. Are you referring to the small bits of brissel I found in my first panela ferment? If so, that was just my issue. One of my cleaning brushes started coming apart about that time. I got back to Nerdy about it and he told Sugar Daddy it was my bad.

Otis
Yes Otis, I apologized to Sugar Daddy.
The "quantity" issue you mention could also be the weight of the bags so I'll address that, they have switched to Kilo's so 25K = about 55Lb.
Otherwise no issues, the new stuff ferments up just like the last shipment.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.

User avatar
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor
Posts: 566
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:40 am
Location: SE Michigan

Re: Brazilian Wood for Aging Cachaças

Post by DetroitDIY » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:14 pm

Yep, I had a group buy about 3 months ago. Great stuff, but definitely buy in 25 kg increments. It'll make things MUCH easier on giving people what they ordered, and I don't think Sugar Daddy's in the business of shipping partial bags. Smells great, I have yet to get any fermenting. It was too much for the pecan pie I made over the holidays.

Best aspect of buying from Sugar Daddy (other than the price) is that it comes ground up, rather than in a rigid block like what you might buy from your local Hispanic market.

User avatar
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor
Posts: 1472
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:00 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Brazilian Wood for Aging Cachaças

Post by nerdybrewer » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:26 am

DetroitDIY wrote:Yep, I had a group buy about 3 months ago. Great stuff, but definitely buy in 25 kg increments. It'll make things MUCH easier on giving people what they ordered, and I don't think Sugar Daddy's in the business of shipping partial bags. Smells great, I have yet to get any fermenting. It was too much for the pecan pie I made over the holidays.

Best aspect of buying from Sugar Daddy (other than the price) is that it comes ground up, rather than in a rigid block like what you might buy from your local Hispanic market.
One of our issues with our last GB was that previously it had always come in 50Lb sacks.
So I got all the requests from our group in increments of 50Lbs and then found out it was 25Kg bags.
A bit of rejiggering of the orders and amounts due but it all worked out in the end.

Yes, it's great stuff isn't it?
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.

User avatar
MichiganCornhusker
Master Distiller
Posts: 4380
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:24 am

Re: Brazilian Wood for Aging Cachaças

Post by MichiganCornhusker » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:14 pm

If I may make an on-topic comment...
I've used Amburana and Canary Wood for aging rum made from panela and they both were more potent in the jar than white oak.
I did some experimenting with toasting and charring the wood, and also aged some of the same batch with oak.

The canary wood started out giving the rum a yellowish color which evolved into more of a rusty orange over time.
The amburana gave it a nice brownish burgandy color, but also turned it cloudy.

After reading this article, I would like to try it again sometime without any toasting or charring. And also try using smaller chunks in the jar.

I see this in the article and can certainly confirm it as my experience as well: "amburana-aged cachaça, which has flavors of cinnamon, nutmeg, and banana bread"
The canary wood, the last time I tasted it, was giving off a bit of a bright citrus note and was quite different from the amburana and oak.

I'll have to dig the bottles out next time I'm near them and come back with an update.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...

User avatar
8Ball
Swill Maker
Posts: 428
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:12 am

Re: Brazilian Wood for Aging Cachaças

Post by 8Ball » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:03 am

I use toasted pecan for aging my pure cane syrup rum. I like it.

8B
The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.

User avatar
Kamil
Novice
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:47 am
Location: POLAND

Re: Brazilian Wood for Aging Cachaças

Post by Kamil » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:24 pm

Barrels and wood for cachaça.
http://www.tanoariamesacaza.com.br/
_20190521_153939.JPG
"I to wszystko bez najmniejszej kropelki rumu." - Jack Sparrow (Piraci z Karaibów)
"Dlaczego rum!?" - Jack Sparrow
"Dlaczego zawsze brakuje rumu?" - Jack Sparrow

Post Reply