Inline Thumper idea

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Fjard
Novice
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:49 pm

Inline Thumper idea

Post by Fjard »

I have been lurking for awhile doing my homework. So I finually decided to join in the chitchat and toss around some ideas.

LWTCS inspired me to try and plan out a inline thumper for my 1/2 bbl sanke keg that is electrically heated. What I want to do is take one of the 1/4 bbl sanke keg and converting it. I have access to a rubberized 1/4 bbl sanke that I can remove the skirts from for this project. What I plan on doing is flipping the sanke over and use a 2 inch Triclamp T or union to connect my 1/2 bbl sanke to 1/4 bbl sanke. Reuse the spear from the 1/4 bbl sanke to make a standpipe inside that stands above the 1/2 way mark and come up with some kind of cap. Then I want to plumb a 1 inch drain line from the half way mark of the 1/4 bbl sanke that makes a P trap that dumps into the triclamp extision or T. Then on the bottom (now the top) I want to cutout a hole and weld on a 4 inch triclamp fitting for attaching a column to.

Here is a picture to help see what I am attempting to explain:
Image

Some questions:
1) is the 1 inch diam of the sanke spear to small for the stand pipe? I imagine at full throttle it'll be like a steam jet and would have to figure out a way to keep the cap down. I am trying to recycle what I have my scrape pile before buying new parts.
2) I spoke to LWTCS about the drain pipe, he suggested if he did it over he would gone bigger then what he has done (1/2 inch) cause he drowned his system, think 1 inch would help?
3) what would be suggested I do for a cap that won't launch itself up into the column?

I am sure I have more ideas and questions but I had to get this onto paper before I start forgetting it all.
Kiwikeg
Swill Maker
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:32 pm

Re: Inline Thumper idea

Post by Kiwikeg »

nice design. I am looking at somthing similar but am now going to have steal some of your design.
I am going to fix my stand pipe cap to the stand pipe or use a j-bend to force more bubbling.
jake_leg
Swill Maker
Posts: 311
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:28 pm
Location: UK

Re: Inline Thumper idea

Post by jake_leg »

Looks like you have got the main features right. :thumbup:

There are various ways of attaching the bubble cap but yes it does need to be fixed on somehow.

It's a nice thought to reuse the spear in this way but my first thought would be that it would be a bit narrow and might puke.
Prairiepiss
retired
Posts: 16571
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:42 am
Location: Somewhere in the Ozarks

Re: Inline Thumper idea

Post by Prairiepiss »

jake_leg wrote:Looks like you have got the main features right. :thumbup:

There are various ways of attaching the bubble cap but yes it does need to be fixed on somehow.

It's a nice thought to reuse the spear in this way but my first thought would be that it would be a bit narrow and might puke.
Why does the bubble cap need to be fixed? Look at LWTCS thumper. It's not?

But I would agree. Go bigger with the stand pipe. I would go 2" with at least a 3" bubble cap. 3.5" bubble cap mite be better.

3/4" is what I plan to use as a drain in mine. And yes I'm going to do something very similar.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
User avatar
LWTCS
Site Mod
Posts: 13296
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:04 pm
Location: Treasure Coast

Re: Inline Thumper idea

Post by LWTCS »

My bubble cap is 3/16 x 3 square tubing. With a 3/16 peice of square plate weldedAs the top of the "cap". It rests on the floor of the thumper and does a nice little dance as temps settle in.
I like that you want to re-pupose tbe spear and the extra vapor speed may promote some good mingling. The added speed/pressure may launch your cap ddpending on weight if you dont afix it to the stand pipe. Give it a go and just be prepaired to make a correction..
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
myles
retired
Posts: 2451
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:34 am
Location: UK, in the heather

Re: Inline Thumper idea

Post by myles »

You have several options for fixing the cap to the standpipe but 1 of the easiest IMO for this specific application, as you could get in the 4" hole but don't have huge access - is a simple cotter pin.

Image

Cut your standpipe to leave 2 lugs to stick through 2 small holes in the cap. Each lug has a hole drilled in it to accept a pin or bit of copper wire. Just slot the cap onto the lugs, poke the pin through the holes and bend up the free end to secure it. I would just drill 3/8" holes round the top of the riser, but you could cut out 2 rectangular holes if you wished.
Prairiepiss
retired
Posts: 16571
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:42 am
Location: Somewhere in the Ozarks

Re: Inline Thumper idea

Post by Prairiepiss »

I love how ideas flow on the table sometimes.

Another thought I have been kicking around. Is to build the bubble cap assembly with a male pipe thread on the bottom. And a female on the bottom of the thump keg. So it can be screwed in from the top opening. I was thinking more along the open top like larry's but could work here. I thought about this so you could use the thumper as a fill funnel for the boiler. But I realize it would be a pita to thread the inlet of the keg. But maybe someone else reading this mite get an idea from it. I'm still considering it myself.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Fjard
Novice
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:49 pm

Re: Inline Thumper idea

Post by Fjard »

myles wrote:You have several options for fixing the cap to the standpipe but 1 of the easiest IMO for this specific application, as you could get in the 4" hole but don't have huge access - is a simple cotter pin.

Image

Cut your standpipe to leave 2 lugs to stick through 2 small holes in the cap. Each lug has a hole drilled in it to accept a pin or bit of copper wire. Just slot the cap onto the lugs, poke the pin through the holes and bend up the free end to secure it. I would just drill 3/8" holes round the top of the riser, but you could cut out 2 rectangular holes if you wished.
I thought about this, but with the amount of potential pressure coming out the 1 inch tubing that cap will rock back and forth and bump up and down which will wear out the pin or the tabs....

Another solution would be drill several vent holes around the top for an inch or two of length, then weld (say a 2 inch disk) then weld a 2" sleeve to the cap ...

end result less moving parts = less wear and tear..
Fjard
Novice
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:49 pm

Re: Inline Thumper idea

Post by Fjard »

Prairiepiss wrote:
jake_leg wrote:Looks like you have got the main features right. :thumbup:

There are various ways of attaching the bubble cap but yes it does need to be fixed on somehow.

It's a nice thought to reuse the spear in this way but my first thought would be that it would be a bit narrow and might puke.
Why does the bubble cap need to be fixed? Look at LWTCS thumper. It's not?

But I would agree. Go bigger with the stand pipe. I would go 2" with at least a 3" bubble cap. 3.5" bubble cap mite be better.

3/4" is what I plan to use as a drain in mine. And yes I'm going to do something very similar.
I don't think he ment fix as in not able to move... but rather secured so it doesn't come off the standpipe
Prairiepiss
retired
Posts: 16571
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:42 am
Location: Somewhere in the Ozarks

Re: Inline Thumper idea

Post by Prairiepiss »

Good point?
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Fjard
Novice
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:49 pm

Re: Inline Thumper idea

Post by Fjard »

Prairiepiss wrote:Good point?
Dunno, is it?


As for the drain pipe/P trap.. I think I am going to head down to the local stores that builds rails and canapies for sail boats and see if they could form me a P trape out of some 1" tubing... I imagine they can do it in 5 minutes ... figure I can have the arms a tad bit long so I can trim down when I actually commit to the build.
snowboybrown7
Novice
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:17 am

Re: Inline Thumper idea

Post by snowboybrown7 »

I haven't built it yet, but this is my plan.

The 3/4" drain/downcomer feeds into the standpipe, then drains back to the boiler. I realize the cup walls should extend lower.

You shouldn't need to solder the connection inside the cap, between the drain and stand. Keep it tight, but vapour bubbling through at that point is really just normal operation, right?
Screen Shot 2012-03-15 at 10.06.20 AM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kiwikeg
Swill Maker
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:32 pm

Re: Inline Thumper idea

Post by Kiwikeg »

snowboybrown7 wrote:I haven't built it yet, but this is my plan.

The 3/4" drain/downcomer feeds into the standpipe, then drains back to the boiler. I realize the cup walls should extend lower.

You shouldn't need to solder the connection inside the cap, between the drain and stand. Keep it tight, but vapour bubbling through at that point is really just normal operation, right?
Screen Shot 2012-03-15 at 10.06.20 AM.png
the problem i see here is wouldnt the vapour bypass the bubble cap and go through the downcomer instead with this setup?
Fjard
Novice
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:49 pm

Re: Inline Thumper idea

Post by Fjard »

as drawn yes, the drain needs to have a P trap so liquid can act like a vapor block.
myles
retired
Posts: 2451
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:34 am
Location: UK, in the heather

Re: Inline Thumper idea

Post by myles »

What you have drawn would work in principle if the dimensions were changed. You just need to ensure that the height of the vertical section of the downcommer that is inside the standpipe is greater. Provided the depth of liquid in the trap is more than that held on the plate, then the easiest path for the vapour is through the bubble cap.
User avatar
LWTCS
Site Mod
Posts: 13296
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:04 pm
Location: Treasure Coast

Re: Inline Thumper idea

Post by LWTCS »

myles wrote:What you have drawn would work in principle if the dimensions were changed. You just need to ensure that the height of the vertical section of the downcommer that is inside the standpipe is greater. Provided the depth of liquid in the trap is more than that held on the plate, then the easiest path for the vapour is through the bubble cap.
+1
MacStill Has engineer'd his this way.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Fjard
Novice
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:49 pm

Re: Inline Thumper idea

Post by Fjard »

Got the 1/4bbl in yesterday and go the ferrule installed and welded today. It is leveled and flush to the top skirt/rim (was bottom) and there is plenty of room to work the triclamp clamp.

Image

will work on the rest as the pieces come in.

fjard
Fjard
Novice
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:49 pm

Re: Inline Thumper idea

Post by Fjard »

Decided to use copper on the drain arm. Wielded a 1" SS half-coupler to side of the pony keg and plumbed to fit to the Tee fitting, which has a 1" NPT x 2" Triclamp cap. I also added a union so I can take it all apart if need be. Next part is my to do list is the standpipe.

Image
User avatar
LWTCS
Site Mod
Posts: 13296
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:04 pm
Location: Treasure Coast

Re: Inline Thumper idea

Post by LWTCS »

Not sure I understand. Some dialog please.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Fjard
Novice
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:49 pm

Re: Inline Thumper idea

Post by Fjard »

The picture is actually of the thumper upside down, cooling after soldering. I was originally going to use stainless for the drain (the copper part) but copper was actually cheaper locally (found a sale).

What I have done so far:
- Drilled with a hole sale a 4" hole on the bottom of the keg, fit and weld a 4" Triclamp ferrule.
- Drilled a hole on the side of the keg at mid level to fit a 1" half coupler and welded it in. This is for my overflow drain
- Sweated toghter copper fittings (elbows, union, street elbows, etc) to form my P trap Going from the 1" half coupler to the Sanitary Tee fetting
- Sanitary Tee fitting connects the two kegs via 2" Triclamp, on the side arm of the Tee, I clamped a 2" Triclamp x 1"NPT end cap and threaded the drain pipe to it.

Hope that makes better sense.

I'll get a pic of it all together and post it. I haven't worked on the "standpipe"/uptube/whatever you wanna call it. I am thinking of trying to find a way to grind out the connector on the keg so it can accept a length of 2" sanitary tubing (only need to grind two tenths of an inch + the lower lip) but haven't figure out that part yet.
Fjard
Novice
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:49 pm

Re: Inline Thumper idea

Post by Fjard »

Image

Looks lopsided but it isn't
Kiwikeg
Swill Maker
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:32 pm

Re: Inline Thumper idea

Post by Kiwikeg »

I am thinking of trying to find a way to grind out the connector on the keg so it can accept a length of 2" sanitary tubing (only need to grind two tenths of an inch + the lower lip) but haven't figure out that part yet.
get a 2" blu mol or starett holesaw drill thru a thickish piece of wood- this is your guide as you wont be able to use pilot drill. clamp guide over connector and carefullt ream out connector with 2'' hole saw
if you have a drill press big enougth you can drill it with the holesaw without using the wood template for a guide.
Fjard
Novice
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:49 pm

Re: Inline Thumper idea

Post by Fjard »

To give a better idea of my over all build... I ended up taking the sanke coupler and grinding out the inner part so I can swage in a 1.5" tubing in (~8 inches long) and had the local welder weld it in place. Sorry no picture of that, but will have one when I start working on the cap.

Image

I am going to had some kind of brace between the kegs to stablize it more, there is alot of pressure on that 2" Tee fitting and prolly the weakest link. Thinking of some kind of clamp that spreads instead of squeezes (prolly three?)
Fjard
Novice
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:49 pm

Re: Inline Thumper idea

Post by Fjard »

Side view of stand pipe
Image
Bottom view of the weld to the sanke female connector
Image
Side view of cap
Image
Top view of cap (you can see the hole I have for securing it)
Image
Stand pipe installed with retaining clip
Image
Inside view of stand pipe with cap
Image
WV Shine
Swill Maker
Posts: 270
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:08 pm
Location: Rockies

Re: Inline Thumper idea

Post by WV Shine »

Looking great Fjard... that's a pretty nice hunk of stainless ;)
Fjard
Novice
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:49 pm

Re: Inline Thumper idea

Post by Fjard »

Thanks, just a few more things and it will be all done and over with
User avatar
Azframer
Swill Maker
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:38 am

Re: Inline Thumper idea

Post by Azframer »

Just a matter of time before I get a rig like that soon payment for the design work I have been doing on those parts and many more coming down the pipe line now.
granddad
Bootlegger
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:41 am
Location: ea washington

Re: Inline Thumper idea

Post by granddad »

LWTCS wrote:My bubble cap is 3/16 x 3 square tubing. With a 3/16 peice of square plate weldedAs the top of the "cap". It rests on the floor of the thumper and does a nice little dance as temps settle in.
I like that you want to re-pupose tbe spear and the extra vapor speed may promote some good mingling. The added speed/pressure may launch your cap ddpending on weight if you dont afix it to the stand pipe. Give it a go and just be prepaired to make a correction..
granddad here question on my bubbler i have is 3/16 sq w 3/16 flat plate welded x8 tall on your video i can hear your bubbeler dance what size heating element do you run & how tall is your 3/16 bubbel cap ? i am runing 4500 watts @240 volt it takes me right at a 1.1/4 hr to heat up mine just dose a slight dance very quiet /my bubbel cap inside mesurment is 8'' my bubbel tube is 8'' it works fine but yours has a nice sound to it the other factor is my thumper has only ran one time& i only had 3'' of wort in it do you get more sound as thumper has more liquid in it ??? let me know thanks granddad
User avatar
LWTCS
Site Mod
Posts: 13296
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:04 pm
Location: Treasure Coast

Re: Inline Thumper idea

Post by LWTCS »

My feeling is the sound / dance comes as the run settles in towards the middle to end of the hearts as the boiler temps start to push higher...
Not so sure that the cap measurements really have the same influence on the dance.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
granddad
Bootlegger
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:41 am
Location: ea washington

Re: Inline Thumper idea

Post by granddad »

LWTCS wrote:My feeling is the sound / dance comes as the run settles in towards the middle to end of the hearts as the boiler temps start to push higher...
Not so sure that the cap measurements really have the same influence on the dance.
granddad here thanks when i ran mine the other day it was a littel noiseier in the begining but i will listen closer on 2nd run thanks larry
Post Reply