Had it ready to go and );

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Post Reply
Chronical
Novice
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:04 am

Had it ready to go and );

Post by Chronical »

So I have everything ready to go from mash to thumper a temp controller that is scr or temp control plus water pump ready to go
IMG_0518.jpeg
But… I started to clean with vinegar run and as I was filling it up it has three pin holes on the 4” cleaning port on the center on side of the keg

IMG_0530.jpeg
The line is it spurting a stream of water

So my question is can anyone help idk how but silver solder brazing isn’t working for me and I can’t get the welder guy to answer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bolverk
Posts: 2269
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:44 pm
Location: NC

Re: Had it ready to go and );

Post by Bolverk »

I'd scuff and clean the surface really well, use a good liquid flux and reflow your solder
There are two types of people in this world.
1. Those that can extrapolate from incomplete information.
Reefer1
Swill Maker
Posts: 312
Joined: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:03 pm

Re: Had it ready to go and );

Post by Reefer1 »

If you need a quick fix Bolverk if you can get hold of some milliput or a two pack epoxy clay that stuff go's inert when it sets, it will seal it from the outside so no contact with the mash, will put you on until you can get it welded.
Milliput is the best.
Good luck
User avatar
higgins
Trainee
Posts: 776
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:16 am
Location: US Southern Appalachia

Re: Had it ready to go and );

Post by higgins »

Bolverk wrote: ↑Tue Oct 15, 2024 4:11 am I'd scuff and clean the surface really well, use a good liquid flux and reflow your solder
+1

I've had to do this a couple of times and it works.
User avatar
Salt Must Flow
Master of Distillation
Posts: 3125
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:06 pm
Location: Wuhan China (Novel Coronavirus Laboratory)

Re: Had it ready to go and );

Post by Salt Must Flow »

Same thing recently happened to me. Found a leak, silver soldered it and did cleanup. Here's a link. Not much to show other than a before/after pic. Silver soldering is easy, but stainless is a little trickier. The area should be sanded or abraded well. It needs to be clean and fluxed. I orient the part so that the repair is facing up so that the solder doesn't run off. I use Harris Stay-Clean because that's what most recommend. Heat the area up as well as the surrounding area otherwise the heat wicks away. Flux again to keep it clean. Keep heating. Keep testing with solder and suddenly the solder melts. With practice you'll start to get pretty good at it.
Post Reply