Well Fk!
Moderator: Site Moderator
- Expat
- Distiller
- Posts: 2252
- Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:58 pm
Well Fk!
Well its been awhile since I posted properly, good to see some familiar names around. Figured i'd post as I'm going to be stepping away for awhile due to health reasons.
Got some bad news recently, turns out that I have a tumor on my pancreas and I'm headed for some serious surgery. FUCK!! Additional kick in the balls, more than good chance i'm going to loose my spleen in the process. FUCK FUCK!! Everything after that is when the shit can get really real depending on the pathology.
I've got some reasons to be hopeful, reasonably early detection, age and general health are in my favor. But the doc just dropped a bomb, even in the best case scenario, drinking alcohol in a meaningful way is not going to be part of my future; between Zero and a single drink on my birthday I was told. So considering my current supply is ample, it just hit me that realistically i'm likely done with distillation.
Gotta say that hit me like a hammer. I've deeply enjoyed this hobby. Building and rebuilding my setup, learning proper and clean fermentation, distillation, blending, recipes, and connecting/learning from all the folks here on HD. Its not to say that I couldn't continue even if I personally couldn't drink it, but for the time being, I doubt it.
So for now, I'm turning my focus to family and health. Controlling the things that are within my power, and trying not to worry about the rest.
Got some bad news recently, turns out that I have a tumor on my pancreas and I'm headed for some serious surgery. FUCK!! Additional kick in the balls, more than good chance i'm going to loose my spleen in the process. FUCK FUCK!! Everything after that is when the shit can get really real depending on the pathology.
I've got some reasons to be hopeful, reasonably early detection, age and general health are in my favor. But the doc just dropped a bomb, even in the best case scenario, drinking alcohol in a meaningful way is not going to be part of my future; between Zero and a single drink on my birthday I was told. So considering my current supply is ample, it just hit me that realistically i'm likely done with distillation.
Gotta say that hit me like a hammer. I've deeply enjoyed this hobby. Building and rebuilding my setup, learning proper and clean fermentation, distillation, blending, recipes, and connecting/learning from all the folks here on HD. Its not to say that I couldn't continue even if I personally couldn't drink it, but for the time being, I doubt it.
So for now, I'm turning my focus to family and health. Controlling the things that are within my power, and trying not to worry about the rest.
_____________________
EXPAT
Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd
___________________
EXPAT
Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd
___________________
-
Forest Beekeeper
- Bootlegger
- Posts: 115
- Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:41 pm
Re: Well Fk!
Good luck with your upcoming surgery.
- Yummyrum
- Global moderator
- Posts: 10447
- Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:23 am
- Location: Fraser Coast QLD Aussie
Re: Well Fk!
Thats shitty news Expat . Pancreatic cancer is supposed to be a painful bitch so sounds promising they found it quick and hopefully you’ll come out OK .
Having a good supply of nicely aged spirit that you can never touch would be heart breaking. Time to find another hobby man .
Will be thinking of you as you go through this shit storm .
Having a good supply of nicely aged spirit that you can never touch would be heart breaking. Time to find another hobby man .
Will be thinking of you as you go through this shit storm .
My recommended goto .
https://homedistiller.org/wiki/index.ph ... ion_Theory
https://homedistiller.org/wiki/index.ph ... ion_Theory
- Deplorable
- Master of Distillation
- Posts: 4475
- Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:10 pm
- Location: PNW USA
Re: Well Fk!
Sorry to hear this. Take care of yourself Brother, stay healthy.
I've always said that if I was ever inflicted with a condition that forced me to step away from this hobby, I would give my kit to someone who would carry on the craft, and mentor them along their journey.
I've always said that if I was ever inflicted with a condition that forced me to step away from this hobby, I would give my kit to someone who would carry on the craft, and mentor them along their journey.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
- Copperhead road
- Distiller
- Posts: 1903
- Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:28 pm
- Location: Brisvegas downunder OZ
Re: Well Fk!
Life throws us some curveballs at times, you have a good strong positive attitude Expat, good luck with your upcoming surgery Expat.
you will be back enjoying the hobby in no time. its surprising there is a lot of experienced distillers that dont drink much but love the craft, I am one of them...
you will be back enjoying the hobby in no time. its surprising there is a lot of experienced distillers that dont drink much but love the craft, I am one of them...
Never mistake kindness for weakness....
- Saltbush Bill
- Global moderator
- Posts: 11573
- Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:13 am
- Location: Northern NSW Australia
Re: Well Fk!
Sorry to hear that Expat, life can throw some shit at us at times.
Youve been here a long time and made plenty of contributions.......16 years worth..
Be good if you still dropped in from time to, you know enough by now to be more than helpfull to newbs and others who need advice.
Stay positive is all that I can say to help.
Youve been here a long time and made plenty of contributions.......16 years worth..
Be good if you still dropped in from time to, you know enough by now to be more than helpfull to newbs and others who need advice.
Stay positive is all that I can say to help.
- Tater
- Admin
- Posts: 10086
- Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:19 am
- Location: occupied south
- BlackStrap
- Posts: 944
- Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:48 pm
- Location: Hills & Hollers of Appalachia
Re: Well Fk!
Sorry to hear that Expat.
I hope that all goes well for you.
I hope that all goes well for you.
Most questions can be answered here http://homedistiller.org/ and here http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=46
Stay Safe & Have Fun
BlackStrap
Stay Safe & Have Fun
BlackStrap
- shadylane
- Master of Distillation
- Posts: 12743
- Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:54 pm
- Location: Hiding In the Boiler room of the Insane asylum
Re: Well Fk!
I hate to hear about the health problems you are having.
If it would be of any help, I have a brother in law I could loan you.
You could keep distilling and not have to worry about alcohol with him following you to the shed.
If it would be of any help, I have a brother in law I could loan you.
You could keep distilling and not have to worry about alcohol with him following you to the shed.
- bilgriss
- Distiller
- Posts: 2016
- Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:28 pm
- Location: Southeast-ish.
Re: Well Fk!
Early detection is excellent news. Best of luck with everything.
- Saltbush Bill
- Global moderator
- Posts: 11573
- Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:13 am
- Location: Northern NSW Australia
Re: Well Fk!
Dont send him my way what ever you do. I'm very fond of my stash of long term aged spirts.
Got enough fee loaders already.
-
tommysb
- Rumrunner
- Posts: 532
- Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:09 pm
Re: Well Fk!
Sorry to hear it Expat. Look after yourself mate.
- PalCabral
- Posts: 2562
- Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2024 4:02 am
- Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Re: Well Fk!
Fuck cancer! Fight it with what you got, Expat. You can do it.
-
hellbilly007
- Rumrunner
- Posts: 598
- Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:59 am
- Location: Never one place very long
Re: Well Fk!
Hate to hear it for ya. You're doing the right thing, abstaining. Really sucks that it's taking your hobby from ya. Keep your chin up. Enjoy your time with your family. It's not the end
- NorthWoodsAb
- Rumrunner
- Posts: 674
- Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:56 pm
- Location: North Central Alberta. 55.470996,-114.787297
Re: Well Fk!
Expat This kind of news really sucks. Hopefully detection was early enough to see you in the clear soon. Stay positive.
Uisge beatha
- Yonder
- Distiller
- Posts: 1030
- Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:53 pm
- Location: Best State in the Union!
Re: Well Fk!
That’s a tough hit to take Expat. Be strong.Stay strong and POSITIVE. I’m sure we all want to follow your journey so stay in touch.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.