Anybody get any good deals lately?

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

WVtired
Novice
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue May 05, 2026 4:42 pm
Location: Potomac Highlands

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by WVtired »

Needed a way to squeeze grains after fermenting and after a bit of searching, found a 32l mop bucket and wringer for $19 (USD) on amazon.
The Booze Pipe
Trainee
Posts: 808
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:00 pm
Location: PNW

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by The Booze Pipe »

WVtired wrote: ↑Fri Sep 04, 2026 4:52 pm Needed a way to squeeze grains after fermenting and after a bit of searching, found a 32l mop bucket and wringer for $19 (USD) on amazon.
Cheap! The wringer is the best way to go for that job.
13.5g/50L keg
modular 3" pot/VM copper&stainless w/offset gin head
26g jacketed 4" stripping still
12,000watts of fury
WVtired
Novice
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue May 05, 2026 4:42 pm
Location: Potomac Highlands

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by WVtired »

The Booze Pipe wrote: ↑Sat Sep 05, 2026 8:19 am
WVtired wrote: ↑Fri Sep 04, 2026 4:52 pm Needed a way to squeeze grains after fermenting and after a bit of searching, found a 32l mop bucket and wringer for $19 (USD) on amazon.
Cheap! The wringer is the best way to go for that job.
Yes after hanging my first batch of grains overnight, I decided it was time to bite the bullet and after looking for a bit, I discovered that deal. It was a steal, as the price history showed it as high as $99 at one point and most of the bucket/wringers I looked at were in the $60 or so dollar range. Worked like a champ on my next batch of bourbon grains (corn heavy). I have looked a couple times, but it's not available or I'd post a link... (can you do that here?).
User avatar
Oldvine Zin
Distiller
Posts: 2457
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:16 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Not sure if this a deal or just a lucky find. I haven't been distilling for a few years, made my come back run a few days ago, I found this while sorting through all my stilling junk today:
jars.jpeg
Smells and tastes like a HBB, probably sitting in jars fo at least 4 years

ovz
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Copperhead road
Distiller
Posts: 1903
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:28 pm
Location: Brisvegas downunder OZ

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by Copperhead road »

Oldvine Zin wrote: ↑Thu Oct 01, 2026 1:22 pm Not sure if this a deal or just a lucky find. I haven't been distilling for a few years, made my come back run a few days ago, I found this while sorting through all my stilling junk today:jars.jpeg
Smells and tastes like a HBB, probably sitting in jars fo at least 4 years

ovz
I find to more you fossick the more you find.
Never mistake kindness for weakness....
User avatar
Username
Swill Maker
Posts: 347
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:15 am

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by Username »

Copperhead road wrote: ↑Thu Oct 01, 2026 4:26 pm
I find to more you fossick the more you find.
I'm going to need a translation for that Copper, I'm going with root around but would like clarification :D
User avatar
shadylane
Master of Distillation
Posts: 12743
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:54 pm
Location: Hiding In the Boiler room of the Insane asylum

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by shadylane »

Copperhead road wrote: ↑Thu Oct 01, 2026 4:26 pm
I find to more you fossick the more you find.
Damn I had to look that up. :lol:
User avatar
Copperhead road
Distiller
Posts: 1903
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:28 pm
Location: Brisvegas downunder OZ

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by Copperhead road »

:lolno:
shadylane wrote: ↑Fri Oct 02, 2026 1:15 am
Copperhead road wrote: ↑Thu Oct 01, 2026 4:26 pm
I find to more you fossick the more you find.
Damn I had to look that up. :lol:
Never mistake kindness for weakness....
User avatar
Bushman
Admin
Posts: 18602
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:29 am
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by Bushman »

Fossick even stumped my wife which is unusual.
WVtired
Novice
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue May 05, 2026 4:42 pm
Location: Potomac Highlands

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by WVtired »

Those chaps across the pond have some unusual vernacuar at times... I'm sure they say the same about us as well! :D
User avatar
Deplorable
Master of Distillation
Posts: 4475
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:10 pm
Location: PNW USA

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by Deplorable »

While out and about in town today with the missus, I found a 10L keg in the 2nd hand store for $10. Not a scratch on it.
I've been looking for a small keg to make a mini still, and this fits the bill perfectly.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
User avatar
Copperhead road
Distiller
Posts: 1903
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:28 pm
Location: Brisvegas downunder OZ

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by Copperhead road »

Deplorable wrote: ↑Sat Oct 03, 2026 3:26 pm While out and about in town today with the missus, I found a 10L keg in the 2nd hand store for $10. Not a scratch on it.
I've been looking for a small keg to make a mini still, and this fits the bill perfectly.
They call them little kegs "little pig keg" in Australia. i have one but they are rare and hard to find. they make fantastic storage vessels. i thing they are about 20 litres.
Never mistake kindness for weakness....
User avatar
Deplorable
Master of Distillation
Posts: 4475
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:10 pm
Location: PNW USA

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by Deplorable »

Copperhead road wrote: ↑Sat Oct 03, 2026 3:57 pm
Deplorable wrote: ↑Sat Oct 03, 2026 3:26 pm While out and about in town today with the missus, I found a 10L keg in the 2nd hand store for $10. Not a scratch on it.
I've been looking for a small keg to make a mini still, and this fits the bill perfectly.
They call them little kegs "little pig keg" in Australia. i have one but they are rare and hard to find. they make fantastic storage vessels. i thing they are about 20 litres.
I've got a couple of 10L SS "Man Cans" I store neutral in. But this is essentially a scaled down 15 gallon beer keg. I'll get pictures when I get home, we're sampling the wares at our friends winery at the moment.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
User avatar
Copperhead road
Distiller
Posts: 1903
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:28 pm
Location: Brisvegas downunder OZ

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by Copperhead road »

Deplorable wrote: ↑Sat Oct 03, 2026 4:22 pm, we're sampling the wares at our friends winery at the moment.
That sounds lovely, enjoy the fruits of your friends labor. :thumbup:
Never mistake kindness for weakness....
User avatar
Deplorable
Master of Distillation
Posts: 4475
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:10 pm
Location: PNW USA

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by Deplorable »

This is gonna be my little experimental boiler. I think the only thing I may need to build that I don't have is a small condenser.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
User avatar
shadylane
Master of Distillation
Posts: 12743
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:54 pm
Location: Hiding In the Boiler room of the Insane asylum

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by shadylane »

Deplorable wrote: ↑Sat Oct 03, 2026 6:09 pm This is gonna be my little experimental boiler. I think the only thing I may need to build that I don't have is a small condenser.
Go for it, once the boiler is done it's easy to get motivated to make a proper sized condenser. :thumbup:
User avatar
Deplorable
Master of Distillation
Posts: 4475
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:10 pm
Location: PNW USA

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by Deplorable »

shadylane wrote: ↑Sat Oct 03, 2026 8:52 pm
Deplorable wrote: ↑Sat Oct 03, 2026 6:09 pm This is gonna be my little experimental boiler. I think the only thing I may need to build that I don't have is a small condenser.
Go for it, once the boiler is done it's easy to get motivated to make a proper sized condenser. :thumbup:
I'm not wasting any time. :thumbup:
This is where I'm stopping for the night.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
User avatar
Username
Swill Maker
Posts: 347
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:15 am

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by Username »

Oh, I like that, when I saw the pic first I thought it was a standard keg with a 4" riser
User avatar
Deplorable
Master of Distillation
Posts: 4475
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:10 pm
Location: PNW USA

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by Deplorable »

After sleeping on it, I've already reconsidered my first thoughts on this 10 liter boiler. I think I am going to put an internal element in it.
Probably just a 1500 watt so I can run it off a standard 15 amp household outlet and a simple power controller.
I'll use a TC ferrule so it's easy to cap off if I ever decide to play with a gas hob, but it I'd like to stay compact, and running a long condenser seems counter intuitive to that.
Going electric, I can use my current shotgun condenser, and not have to build any more copper components.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
OtisT
Master of Distillation
Posts: 3411
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:59 am
Location: Hawaii

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by OtisT »

I bought this small frig on fb marketplace. Brand new for 1/3 the cost.

This is my new ferment frig. Going to be making sake first in on gallon jars, then move up to carboys for making shochu. I really miss PNW basements.

.
IMG_1282.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
User avatar
Copperhead road
Distiller
Posts: 1903
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:28 pm
Location: Brisvegas downunder OZ

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by Copperhead road »

awesome little streamline fridge. :thumbup:
Never mistake kindness for weakness....
User avatar
Deplorable
Master of Distillation
Posts: 4475
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:10 pm
Location: PNW USA

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by Deplorable »

OtisT wrote: ↑Wed Oct 07, 2026 5:27 pm I bought this small frig on fb marketplace. Brand new for 1/3 the cost.

This is my new ferment frig. Going to be making sake first in on gallon jars, then move up to carboys for making shochu. I really miss PNW basements.

.

IMG_1282.jpeg
Thats nice! :thumbup:
Ive been looking for one to dry age meats.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
MooseMan
Master of Distillation
Posts: 3272
Joined: Fri May 28, 2021 4:54 am
Location: Wales UK

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by MooseMan »

I can't quite believe my luck guys.

I was offered a full size, ex Islay barrel, for free, I just had to go and collect it.
It's been indoors for around 3 years, bone dry with warped staves and it has 2 hoops missing, so I don't think it will ever seal again, but honestly, it's so big I'd never consider filling it with product, so it's going to be restored a little when there's time, and will make a lovely outdoor standing bar table as soon as I can get some nice timber to make a round top.

So I get there to pick up this barrel, and there's a smaller one (c. 100lts?) just sat there near it...

Of course, I had a bottle of something in the car to say thanks for the free barrel.
Well, it turns out that a surprise bottle by way of thanks gets you two free barrels! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Make Booze, not War!
User avatar
Corn Cracker
Posts: 1280
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:25 am
Location: s.e. Texas

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by Corn Cracker »

MooseMan wrote: ↑Thu Oct 08, 2026 11:35 pm I can't quite believe my luck guys.

I was offered a full size, ex Islay barrel, for free, I just had to go and collect it.
It's been indoors for around 3 years, bone dry with warped staves and it has 2 hoops missing, so I don't think it will ever seal again, but honestly, it's so big I'd never consider filling it with product, so it's going to be restored a little when there's time, and will make a lovely outdoor standing bar table as soon as I can get some nice timber to make a round top.

So I get there to pick up this barrel, and there's a smaller one (c. 100lts?) just sat there near it...

Of course, I had a bottle of something in the car to say thanks for the free barrel.
Well, it turns out that a surprise bottle by way of thanks gets you two free barrels! :D
Nice score, is the smaller one fillable?
I think I'll go home and fire up my still, it might not make me feel better but, I bet it will
User avatar
Copperhead road
Distiller
Posts: 1903
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:28 pm
Location: Brisvegas downunder OZ

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by Copperhead road »

MooseMan wrote: ↑Thu Oct 08, 2026 11:35 pm I can't quite believe my luck guys.

I was offered a full size, ex Islay barrel, for free, I just had to go and collect it.
It's been indoors for around 3 years, bone dry with warped staves and it has 2 hoops missing, so I don't think it will ever seal again, but honestly, it's so big I'd never consider filling it with product, so it's going to be restored a little when there's time, and will make a lovely outdoor standing bar table as soon as I can get some nice timber to make a round top.

So I get there to pick up this barrel, and there's a smaller one (c. 100lts?) just sat there near it...

Of course, I had a bottle of something in the car to say thanks for the free barrel.
Well, it turns out that a surprise bottle by way of thanks gets you two free barrels! :D
Good score Moose, 100L Barrels are a nice size. I have 3 of them.
Never mistake kindness for weakness....
MooseMan
Master of Distillation
Posts: 3272
Joined: Fri May 28, 2021 4:54 am
Location: Wales UK

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by MooseMan »

Yeah I'm hoping the 100L is workable as I would use that for sure.
When I get time I'll bung it and soak it, but the good old Welsh weather is doing a decent head start!
Make Booze, not War!
User avatar
PalCabral
Posts: 2562
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2024 4:02 am
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: Anybody get any good deals lately?

Post by PalCabral »

Superb, Moose! 100 liters is a big volume to fill but doable. Have you put your nose in it, does it smell whiskey or something else?
Post Reply