How does explosion happen?

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

sunshine4me
Novice

How does explosion happen?

Post by sunshine4me »

It pretty well known an explosion can happen. Instead of looking up the process of making shine, how does an explosion happen? This is my primary worry. The flammable alcohol vapor, pressure build up. Do vapors always escape during the process? If water can seep through my entire still does that ensure there will be no explosion? Any other possible tests to ensure my safety? As always, i appreciate the input.
rhumbum
Novice

Re: How does explosion happen?

Post by rhumbum »

Fire is far more likely than an explosion. Anything above 56% ABV is flammable, so a spill from your collection jar could present a fire hazard. I doubt than with most still designs enough pressure could build up for the alcohol to reach auto-ignition temp (363 deg C). It is more likely that in the event of a blockage, a gasket or joint would fail before that could happen. Under normal operating conditions there should be no pressure build up inside the still at all.

The real danger is from a flash fire caused by enough concerntrated vapour leaking out and reaching an ignition source such as a thermostat, relay switch or gas flame. The best way to avoid that is to test your still for leaks with a water only run if you are uncertain about it. Steam is visable and will show up the leaks if there are any, wheras alcohol vapour is invisible. You can also check for leaks when running wash or low wines using a cold mirror or piece of glass. If you hold it over the site of the suspected leak, any leaking vapour should condense on it's surface.
Last edited by rhumbum on Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jholmz
Distiller

Post by jholmz »

as long as you have no vapor leak and your condensor knocks down everything that comes out youll be fine. if your that worried about it i would go electric as that way you have no open ignition source. theres always a chance of an electrical spark from an outlet but without a vapor leak nothing to ignite. follow the rules and everything you need to know is here. there should never be built up pressure in your still a pot still is always open to the environment and a reflux still should have a relief
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

It pretty well known an explosion can happen
Pretty well know amongst those that don't distill and those that don't want us to distill. Mostly the ones that don't want us too. Telling everyone it can happen. Scare tactic. Just like you will go blind drinking moonshine.

If a still is built and ran properly. There would be no reason for concern.

A proper built and ran still should not release Amy alcohol vapors into the air. They should all be condensed into liquid. For the obvious safety reason and you would be losing product.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
DuckofDeath
Rumrunner

Post by DuckofDeath »

Smoke while you shine... Which is a big nono
Fastill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fastill »

DuckofDeath wrote:Smoke while you shine... Which is a big nono
Smoking by itself is a big no no, but shouldn't be any different as any other time as long as your still don't leak, your not changing jars, or your not making cuts....
A.D.D. and HD don't go together. This hobby takes time and dedication to learn and do it right and safe.
Fill the pool before you jump in head first!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975