What'd ya'll make today?

Production methods from starch to sugars.

Moderator: Site Moderator

SaltyStaves
Distiller

Re: What'd ya'll make today?

Post by SaltyStaves »

Spirit run on some Honey shine.

My beekeeper friend gifted me some 2nd grade and melter honey. I wasn't able to get a brix reading but I made the wash up with a rough estimate of 50% fermentability. WRONG! It was more like 70%....
So it finished up around 11.4% ABV, which is much higher than I'd usually care for. No off-notes or heat in the low wines, so I'm hoping the hearts won't be spicy.
higgins
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by higgins »

I started a single malt yesterday:

* 42 1/2 lbs Briess pale malt
* 10 lbs Simpsons peated malt
* 1/2 lb munich
* 2 pks US05 yeast, rehydrated
Fermenting off the grain at 70F.

Today I made a rack for my expanding collection of Badmo clones.
BadmoRack.jpg
There are:
* 3 bourbons
* 2 single malts
* 1 rum
* 1 apple brandy

The 4 small ones up top are 4 1/4 qt size, and contain the 4 separate runs of bourbon I made a few months back (the 4 methods experiment).
Last edited by higgins on Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Broady
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Steve Broady »

Nice rack, higgins!
Learn from the past, live in the present, change the future.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

higgins wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:56 pm I started a single malt yesterday:

* 42 1/2 lbs Briess pale malt
* 10 lbs Simpsons peated malt
* 1/2 lb munich
* 2 pks US05 yeast, rehydrated
Fermenting off the grain at 70F.

Today I made a rack for my expanding collection of Badmo clones.

BadmoRack.jpg
There are:
* 3 bourbons
* 2 single malts
* 1 rum
* 1 apple brandy

The 4 small ones up top are 4 1/4 qt size, and contain the 4 seperate runs of bourbon I made a few months back (the 4 methods experiment).
Wow. You got it going on. Nice work🍻
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

higgins wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:56 pm Today I made a rack for my expanding collection of Badmo clones.
Nice work all round.
FirstMountainMakers
Novice

Post by FirstMountainMakers »

Made washes:
1 batch (7.3g) SBB all molasses w/ evolve molasses
5g Buccaneer Bob's w/ golden barrel blackstrap molasses
5g Buccaneer Bob's w/ golden barrel supreme baking molasses

Made cuts on what started life as a 5g panela wash I did the spirit run on yesterday, after I did the cuts on a 5g jaggery wash I did the spirit run on the night before.

Doctor put me on keyboard restriction due to tendonitis in my forearm and bursitis in my shoulder, so I figured if I can't do my day job I should get some hobby time in.

This brings the total production of my experimental rum series so far up to (all ~62-65% ABV):
~2.5L BB made w/ evolve molasses (2 5g batches to get to a second gen) aging on medium toast white oak with a light char
1L all panela on the same oak treatment
1L all jaggery on the same oak treatment
And 0.25-0.50L of each one kept white for comparison.

I did use the dunder from the BB runs in the SBB I put down today. I considered starting without but the BB was made with the same molasses and should be close enough that I decided I'd rather include it than not. Was the only real deviation from the recipe as written though.

I haven't done anything with the dunder 'essence' described in the pdf for BB but I may try it at some point. My real aim is to pin down my favorite rum base and then start mixing and matching from there.
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

Started a new batch of HBB. Sorry SCD, but I'm cheating on this one and doing a no mash with YLAY. Did just discover that I don't have enough Melonoidin for the 3 batches, which is an arse because I placed an order not long ago for malts, and aside from that I'm good. I really don't want to pay the postage on a kg of malt!
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
Archee72
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Archee72 »

Yesterday 2 bottles of vodka, this morning stripping 2 lots of SBB Molly Rum. 80L of SSS put down 👍
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Archee72 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:33 pm Yesterday 2 bottles of vodka, this morning stripping 2 lots of SBB Molly Rum. 80L of SSS put down 👍
Nice. Your gonna love that rum after 10 months. Lol.thats how long I held out before polishing it off. Iv got 3 gallons on various oaks. I swear I'll let this go longer. :crazy:
Archee72
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Archee72 »

Bradster68 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:11 pm
Archee72 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:33 pm Yesterday 2 bottles of vodka, this morning stripping 2 lots of SBB Molly Rum. 80L of SSS put down 👍
Nice. Your gonna love that rum after 10 months. Lol.thats how long I held out before polishing it off. Iv got 3 gallons on various oaks. I swear I'll let this go longer. :crazy:
I can’t make enough to let it go past 3 months!!! It’s nice even after that short a period. I took some to my cousin a year ago with the oak still in it so hopefully he brings it up for Xmas to try 🤞
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Archee72 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:47 pm
Bradster68 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:11 pm
I can’t make enough to let it go past 3 months!!! It’s nice even after that short a period. I took some to my cousin a year ago with the oak still in it so hopefully he brings it up for Xmas to try 🤞
Maybe that's what I should try. Giving to someone more responsible than me. :thumbup:
JustinNZ
Swill Maker

Post by JustinNZ »

I’m just finishing off the tails in a 60L SBB rum spirit run. I find heads to hearts tricky - but the tails are now quite distinctive. Anyway, it’s been a long day. But looking forward to the tasting session tomorrow.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

JustinNZ wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 1:24 am I’m just finishing off the tails in a 60L SBB rum spirit run. I find heads to hearts tricky - but the tails are now quite distinctive. Anyway, it’s been a long day. But looking forward to the tasting session tomorrow.
Immabout due to make another large batch of this, because the recipe is solid. That's what I got into distilling for was a rum.
Got side tracked making bourbons.
I'm very careful with cuts also on everything now. Kinda greedy in the beginning 🤔.

Long days,the reward is the sampling and tasting sessions 🍻
MooseMan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MooseMan »

A long day maybe, but will surely be a fruitful day Justin, should get a litre or two from that 60l run!

My own SBB Rum is now starting to taste palatable after a few weeks on toasted barrel staves, ready for a few Xmas cocktails.
Make Booze, not War!
JustinNZ
Swill Maker

Post by JustinNZ »

My better half was not interested in rum at all UNTIL I made her a Dark and Stormy. 2 parts gold or Jamaican rum, 1 part lime juice, half part sugar syrup - all shaken on ice then poured over ice and topped with ginger beer (alcohol-free stuff). Garnish with a lime slice. Too good. If you like Margueritas this will rock your socks off. Sorry, going off topic. Anyway, should be able to put away anywhere between 12 and 18 litres at 60% abv today.
MooseMan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MooseMan »

I'll be trying that!

Thanks man.

That kinda volume should last you a while.
Make Booze, not War!
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

After a 10 month hiatus for reasons described elsewhere, started a maize and oatmeal whiskey.
Due to not being able to stand at the stove for my normal mash protocol, i have opted to use yellow angel yeast.
Will detail the progress of this in a seperate thread.
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Stipping runs of CROW bourbon today.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
MooseMan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MooseMan »

EricTheRed wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:24 am After a 10 month hiatus for reasons described elsewhere, started a maize and oatmeal whiskey.
Due to not being able to stand at the stove for my normal mash protocol, i have opted to use yellow angel yeast.
Glad to hear you're back at it Eric, and I'll look forward to reading your YLAY experience.
Make Booze, not War!
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

EricTheRed wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:24 am After a 10 month hiatus for reasons described elsewhere, started a maize and oatmeal whiskey.
That's good news,iv got a 50lb sack of each and I'll be doing your recipe(corn,oat) soon enough 🍻
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sadie33 »

Just started a sweet feed whiskey :thumbup: I'm not sure which I like better, the UJSSM or the sweet feed. Both are easy and soooo tasty! I have both aged 6 months on oak, will have to do a blind taste test and see...
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

sadie33 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:14 am Just started a sweet feed whiskey :thumbup: I'm not sure which I like better, the UJSSM or the sweet feed. Both are easy and soooo tasty! I have both aged 6 months on oak, will have to do a blind taste test and see...
Ive never made the UJSSM, but I can say that I really enjoyed my Sweet Feed after about 10 months of time on oak. A couple weeks ago, while picking up some dent corn at the feed store I almost bought a sack of it.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Deplorable wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:27 am
sadie33 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:14 am Just started a sweet feed whiskey :thumbup: I'm not sure which I like better, the UJSSM or the sweet feed. Both are easy and soooo tasty! I have both aged 6 months on oak, will have to do a blind taste test and see...
Ive never made the UJSSM, but I can say that I really enjoyed my Sweet Feed after about 10 months of time on oak. A couple weeks ago, while picking up some dent corn at the feed store I almost bought a sack of it.
My neighbor just brought me a bag of the sweetfeed for deer bait. I'm tempted to ferment it instead
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Bradster68 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:16 pm
My neighbor just brought me a bag of the sweetfeed for deer bait. I'm tempted to ferment it instead
If you don't mind a sugar wash. I recommend it. Given proper cuts and aging on some toasted and charred oak, this makes a great "whiskey wannabe".
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Deplorable wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:11 am
Bradster68 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:16 pm
If you don't mind a sugar wash. I recommend it. Given proper cuts and aging on some toasted and charred oak, this makes a great "whiskey wannabe".
One day I'll try it. The itch of getting a deer this year has prevailed. Imma use it for bait.
And I got about 300lbs of various malted grains I'm trying to clean up. 🍻
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Here we can't bait game animals.
I suspect that's part of the reason most feed stores don't carry mole asses too.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Deplorable wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:20 pm Here we can't bait game animals.
I suspect that's part of the reason most feed stores don't carry mole asses too.
Wow. We can't bait game birds. Go figure?
I just found a place 20 min away 10 litres molasses 18 bucks. Don't know if that's good deal,but putting down lots of SBB lately.
MooseMan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MooseMan »

Bradster68 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:26 pm10 litres molasses 18 bucks.
:esurprised:
Buy it all!

I paid £13 for 5lts last time, and it's under 40% sugar.
Make Booze, not War!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Filled an approximately 140 year old bottle with a Genever that is as close as I can work out to being what was originally in the bottle.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

MooseMan wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:04 pm I paid £13 for 5lts last time, and it's under 40% sugar
If it's only 40% it's been diluted in some way.
True molasses straight from a sugar mill isn't that low......they simply can't extract that much sugar in the process......otherwise they would.