My first wash!

Many like to post about a first successful ferment (or first all grain mash), or first still built/bought or first good run of the still. Tell us about all of these great times here.
Pics are VERY welcome, we drool over pretty copper 8)

Moderator: Site Moderator

Thatcanadianguy
Novice

My first wash!

Post by Thatcanadianguy »

So today's the day. Ran vinegar through the still, cleaned with dish soap, then a cheap bottle of vodka as a "sacrifical" run.

Grabbed a big ol box of raisin bran, a 20kg bag of sugar, yeast and lemon.

Recipe as follows - Used the tried and true all bran recipe, but replaced all bran with rasin bran;

3.5kg sugar/ 5 gallon bucket
5 gallons water
5 cups cooked rasin bran
~2 tbsp bakers yeast / 5 gallon

Inverted sugar with equal water/ sugar, added just a touch of lemon juice - 20 minutes stirred fairly aggressively to aerate. Cooked down cereal for 20 minutes into a porridge, set to side.

After adding inverted sugar water to bucket, add 4-5 cups cooked rasin bran, top up with water to 5 gallons mixed good to help aerate more. I nailed temps and had 95⁰ when I pitched the yeast, left lid off and then airlocked after about 15 minutes.

When I took my hydrometer reading it read 18.5 brix with temperature adjustment so a potential alchohol of about 10.5% according to the brix calculator.

Pretty stoked I seemed to have nailed it first time on. And really gotta thank the people here. I'll update as fermentation goes and when I distill.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Re: My first wash!

Post by shadylane »

Looking good, a pinch of epsom salt wouldn't hurt. :ewink:
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Congratulations . I'm guessing you'll do well following a solid recipe like you did. Keep em going and get some on toasted oak for aging 🍻
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

Congratulations on your first Wash. I do All Bran using raisin bran all the time and really like the end result. Put some on oak for a few months.... Even better. Double run pot still makes a good drop. Cheer's
Thatcanadianguy
Novice

shadylane wrote: ↑Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:26 pm Looking good, a pinch of epsom salt wouldn't hurt. :ewink:
Just ran to see if I had any unfortunately all out. I'll have to give it a shot for next ferment!

It's the next day now and all the airlocks are bubbling away happily. The kitchen smells like branny-yeasty beer mixed with bread. And oh my does it ever smell good.
Bradster68 wrote: ↑Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:22 am Congratulations . I'm guessing you'll do well following a solid recipe like you did. Keep em going and get some on toasted oak for aging 🍻
Thank you! To be fair I've worked in restaurants for many many years, so if there's anything I'm good at it's following a recipe πŸ˜‰ I'll probably after a few runs of this try doing the whole grain thing, but for now this is perfect for me to get used to it all.
Wildcats wrote: ↑Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:49 am Congratulations on your first Wash. I do All Bran using raisin bran all the time and really like the end result. Put some on oak for a few months.... Even better. Double run pot still makes a good drop. Cheer's

That was the plan to double distill. Good idea you and Bradster have with the oak. I'll have to get a hold of some, I think the one winemaking store here sells some.

How much oak per quart would you put?

This is what I'd be using

Hope the image works, first time trying it
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

viewtopic.php?t=51253 here is just one of many... I use about a 3" spiral from the Barrel Mill per half gallon. Ymmv. Cheer's
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sadie33 »

congrats on your first wash!! I started with UJSSM. I have never tried the all bran, but if I do, I think I'll use the rasin bran too. There's sooooo many recipes!!

Enjoy the ride!!
Thatcanadianguy
Novice

sadie33 wrote: ↑Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:35 pm congrats on your first wash!! I started with UJSSM. I have never tried the all bran, but if I do, I think I'll use the rasin bran too. There's sooooo many recipes!!

Enjoy the ride!!
By the looks of it I don't think you could go wrong using either!! I read so many different ones over the last few weeks and a I was back and forth between a rum wash or something basic to try. I ended on this, for 15 gallons of wash cost $25 for sugar, a big box of rasin bran for $7 and a jar of yeast for $4, and a buck for a lemon. So I'm all in ~$37. Can barely buy a good 750ml bottle at the store for that.

I tasted a sample of the wash, has a nice flavor so far, tastes a little winey which I'm assuming is coming from the rasins. But I could drink it as it sits.
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sadie33 »

Thatcanadianguy wrote: ↑Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:21 am
sadie33 wrote: ↑Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:35 pm congrats on your first wash!! I started with UJSSM. I have never tried the all bran, but if I do, I think I'll use the rasin bran too. There's sooooo many recipes!!

Enjoy the ride!!
By the looks of it I don't think you could go wrong using either!! I read so many different ones over the last few weeks and a I was back and forth between a rum wash or something basic to try. I ended on this, for 15 gallons of wash cost $25 for sugar, a big box of rasin bran for $7 and a jar of yeast for $4, and a buck for a lemon. So I'm all in ~$37. Can barely buy a good 750ml bottle at the store for that.

I tasted a sample of the wash, has a nice flavor so far, tastes a little winey which I'm assuming is coming from the rasins. But I could drink it as it sits.
I was just telling my husband about this and his eyes lit up when I said rasin bran so I think that will def. be something I do next season. He's not into all this distilling stuff. He mostly is a beer guy except for a few mix drinks we drink together on a weekend. I still blab on and on about it all. Some of it he picks up and some of it he doesn't. But I will try this. :thumbup:
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sadie33 »

:thumbup:
Last edited by sadie33 on Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
MooseMan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MooseMan »

sadie33 wrote: ↑Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:58 am I think I might be going too slow. I just uped it to a #3 on my power. I started last night at 4:05 and was able to run until 10:21 (6 hrs). I started this morning at 9:38 AM. I read some people saw a drop in the % when stopping and starting, but mine was still coming off over 80%. It is just now starting to drop. I am collecting 600ml now and will drop back to 300ml around 60% off the spout. Then collect 300ml again until I hit the tails. Then I will strip it into a big jar for feints.

I read this:"By law any spirits collected above 80% cannot be called whiskey because they are considered too "light" or neutral. In other words, they are too high in proof and thus do not properly imbue the spirit with the flavor of the grain mash. I use anything collected above 80% as feints for the next run. For more information on the legal definitions for whiskies and other spirits check out Title 27 of the U.S. Code of Federal Regulations."
Does this mean everything I have 80% or above is tossed as feints? That's like my whole run so far. :think: That's 1.5 gallons...
Sadie did you mean to post this in your own thread not this one?
Make Booze, not War!
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sadie33 »

MooseMan wrote: ↑Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:42 am
sadie33 wrote: ↑Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:58 am I think I might be going too slow. I just uped it to a #3 on my power. I started last night at 4:05 and was able to run until 10:21 (6 hrs). I started this morning at 9:38 AM. I read some people saw a drop in the % when stopping and starting, but mine was still coming off over 80%. It is just now starting to drop. I am collecting 600ml now and will drop back to 300ml around 60% off the spout. Then collect 300ml again until I hit the tails. Then I will strip it into a big jar for feints.

I read this:"By law any spirits collected above 80% cannot be called whiskey because they are considered too "light" or neutral. In other words, they are too high in proof and thus do not properly imbue the spirit with the flavor of the grain mash. I use anything collected above 80% as feints for the next run. For more information on the legal definitions for whiskies and other spirits check out Title 27 of the U.S. Code of Federal Regulations."
Does this mean everything I have 80% or above is tossed as feints? That's like my whole run so far. :think: That's 1.5 gallons...
yes... :oops: I don't know how to move it do you?
Thatcanadianguy
Novice

sadie33 wrote: ↑Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:54 am
MooseMan wrote: ↑Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:42 am

yes... :oops: I don't know how to move it do you?
I belive you can select the edit option and copy it so you don't have to type it out again, then you could edit that one saying you posted in the wrong thread!

Not sure if one of the mods/admins can move the post, but not like it's hurting anything in here anyways!
sadie33
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sadie33 »

hmmm, thanks for that. I will try (not very computer savvy).

ha, I copied and then erased the whole thing, but it wouldn't let me post it empty so I put a thumbs up guy.
Thatcanadianguy
Novice

Well I think I may have hit my first stall, or I'm a worry wort and am over thinking. Temp in the room got cut down to 70, and my airlocks slowed right down when I checked them this morning. Now I will say I know the batch I first did was 18 brix, then the second came out to 20 brix, so i tested the 20 brix wash.

It read at about 18 brix today, so it's definitely fermenting, just slower then I had expected. Not sure how the other 2 are, I haven't checked them. But I've increased the room temp to about 75, and moved the buckets closer to the heater hoping to speed the yeast up a bit. Ambient temp by the buckets is reading 76⁰-78⁰.

Any thoughts or just let it ride?
Thatcanadianguy
Novice

Forgot to add when I popped the lid off the bucket there was definite movement in the wash, bubbles coming up, and listening to the buckets from the about 4 feet away sounds like a light fizz going on. So maybe I am just worried. I'll test it again in another few days.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

For bakers it likes 80. It'll definitely be slower at those temps. Lots of options for heating pails.
I use a sprouting blanket for seeds and leave loose in a thick blanket around my barrel. Even when my room falls to 60 overnight I have no temp issues. πŸ‘
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
Thatcanadianguy
Novice

Bradster68 wrote: ↑Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:23 am For bakers it likes 80. It'll definitely be slower at those temps. Lots of options for heating pails.
I use a sprouting blanket for seeds and leave loose in a thick blanket around my barrel. Even when my room falls to 60 overnight I have no temp issues. πŸ‘
I remembered I had an extra light fixture for my reptiles, so I threw one of the 50w ceramic heat emitters in it on top of the buckets so it's pumping some warm air in between them all. Then blocked off 3 of the sides with some card board to trap more of the heat. 2 hours in and temps are steady around 80-82 within the little pocket I've made. Hopefully it helps!
Thatcanadianguy
Novice

So i did another test today. The 20 brix bucket is now sitting at 15, so it's definitely picked up pace. I added half a dropper of 15-5-5 liquid plant food I had found, so I'm sure having a nice warm temp and some extra nitrogen is helping it chug along. So 20-18brix in the first 3 days, then 18-15 in one day.

If I can stay on the 3 brix/day projection it should be finished by Friday, to distill on Saturday. I haven't tested the other 2 buckets. I was having issues with not getting anything in my airlocks, so the lids are taped on πŸ˜… I know it's not a huge deal, but nice to see some activity going on when I walk past them.

Can't expect my first run to go perfect, but with the help of yall it's going along really well. Having all the knowledge and experience to help with this. And putting it out there for newbies like myself!
Thatcanadianguy
Novice

Well, measured the sugar content today, we're down to 10 brix. Was at 15 yesterday. Another few days and it's time for my first official distilling run! Will update later

Cheers! 🍻
Thatcanadianguy
Novice

Did another reading this morning, out of all 3 buckets this time

The 20 brix (1.0830 sg) bucket is down to 7-8 (1.0298 sg)
The other 2 that read at 18 brix(1.0741 sg) from the start are down to about 5 (1.0197 sg)

We're in the home stretch! Can almost taste the alchohol already! (OH wait, I actually can πŸ˜‰)

Tried a taste of them today woah can you ever taste the alchohol. (I know fertalizer and the shits etc, it was only a drip on my fingers) doesn't even leave stuff sticky any more like it did when I first tested it.
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

Won't be long now... I always let my wash clear for a week or so... I set my whole fermenting vessel outside in the cold for a few hours. Helps it clear, if I'm in a hurry to run it. Cheer's
higgins
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by higgins »

tcg, from your numbers it sounds to me like you are measuring with a brix refractometer.

If you are measuring with a hydrometer, there is no way you can get down to 4 significant digits such as your 1.0298 or 1.0197 readings.

If not, then ignore these comments.

But if you are, then the reading after fermentation has started is not accurate. There are calculators out there that can help, such as Brewer's Friend.
A 20 brix wort that is now measuring 7.5 (7-8) is actually at 1.000 SG, 10.7% abv.
An 18 brix wort that is now measuring 5 is actually at 0.989 SG, 10.9% abv.
Thatcanadianguy
Novice

higgins wrote: ↑Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:10 am tcg, from your numbers it sounds to me like you are measuring with a brix refractometer.

If you are measuring with a hydrometer, there is no way you can get down to 4 significant digits such as your 1.0298 or 1.0197 readings.

If not, then ignore these comments.

But if you are, then the reading after fermentation has started is not accurate. There are calculators out there that can help, such as Brewer's Friend.
A 20 brix wort that is now measuring 7.5 (7-8) is actually at 1.000 SG, 10.7% abv.
An 18 brix wort that is now measuring 5 is actually at 0.989 SG, 10.9% abv.
Hah! That would be why everything has stopped then. No more fizzing, and readings haven't changed since yesterday. Thank you so much. That makes a lot of sense. Yeah I'm using a hydrometer. It was just easier for me to read it in brix on the hydrometer, then convert to sg using the calculator.

So what I'm hearing is;
Clear this stuff then run it?
higgins
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by higgins »

I'm sure you are anxious to run it (I know that I was with my first one), but I'd let it go for another week or so to clear before running it.
Thatcanadianguy
Novice

higgins wrote: ↑Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:49 am I'm sure you are anxious to run it (I know that I was with my first one), but I'd let it go for another week or so to clear before running it.
To be fair, I'm more interested in starting another wash πŸ˜… only have the 3 buckets right now. Should go grab 3 more to rack into, then I can use them for clearing and back to fermenting with these ones. I don't really drink. I've had a bottle of vodka in my freezer for about 3 months now that's still half full, and even most of that was my roommate after his rum ran out.

It's currently negative temps here -3⁰c. is that good to do a cold crash? Or should I move them into my side room that sits around 54⁰f?
higgins
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by higgins »

55F is fine. Colder is quicker, but too cold for too long may freeze some of the water and concentrate the wash a bit.
Thatcanadianguy
Novice

20240217_001132.jpg
20240216_205251.jpg
20240218_202109.jpg

Well, here it is. I know I should've waited longer to clear, but I feel like because it was done earlier then I thought it had a few days to clear at least.

Only did a single run, ran slow ended with 4.5l total. For a single run and not cleared fully this came out pretty decent. Have 1l on oak doing its thing. Got it cut down to 55% so she's strong, but not ridiculous. If it tastes this decent fresh I could only imagine how it would taste after a few months in the cupboard.

Have another wash already going. Doing the sweetfeed recipe from the tried and true. It's bubbling away great. Sg is already down to 1.025 from 1.065, so it should be done shortly. Also doubled my fermentation amount from 15 gallons to 30 gallons. I think a 55g barrel is in order soon πŸ˜…

Local wally world has 10lb bags of potatoes on sale for a dollar, think it would be worth it to grab some for potato vodka?
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

Good to see it all coming together for you. I wouldn't use potatos for vodka personally... There are better recipes for vodka.
Archee72
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Archee72 »

Those oak cubes can over oak your spirit, the oak dominoes seem to be better?

https://stilldragon.com.au/products/ame ... dium-toast