teenagers poisoned in south africa

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

cob
Master of Distillation

teenagers poisoned in south africa

Post by cob »

be water my friend
Kareltje
Distiller

Re: teenagers poisoned in south africa

Post by Kareltje »

So? The article only mentions the possibility of methanol, ethanol and carbonmonoxide as causes of death.
So??

"Methanol is not used in the production of alcohol used for human consumption."
Take that!
elbono
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by elbono »

Kareltje wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:53 pm So??

Take that!
That's a rather callous response. 21 young people are dead!

The article notes "Alcohol poisoning and inhalation of carbon monoxide have both been ruled out as possible causes of death although traces of both were detected in the bodies of all 21 victims." You are probably in the majority that didn't read that closely.

This impacts us because we are lumped in with the "bootleggers" that adulterate their product for profit. My country is likely one of the worst for reactionary responses to tragedies like this. If I knew how to fix it my name would be on the next ballot for dictator of the world.

My sympathy to the dead and their families, wishes of suitable consequences to the people responsible for this tragedy.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!
richard1
Novice

Post by richard1 »

There are a lot of public unknowns here. Authorities for whatever political reason are just not releasing the info. One young girl there whom survived told one reporter that the establishment released tear gas into the almost closed room. Remember that it is winter here, the room / tavern was pretty closed and quite full. Further they had load shedding so a generator was running within the room as well..... that is what has been reported so far.

As to the methanol part and sad as it is, we will have to wait for the released report for further exacting info.
seamusm53
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by seamusm53 »

They have confirmed the presence of methanol in these kids - levels are pending? Yes, there are miniscule amounts of methanol in fruit juices and fruit wines - but not toxic levels and I seriously doubt these kids were partying with fruit juice. I'll bet the levels ARE toxic and the cause of death. Someone poisoned these kids with wood alcohol, i.e., methanol, as a cheap substitute for ethanol. Murder.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

seamusm53 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:24 pm I'll bet the levels ARE toxic and the cause of death. Someone poisoned these kids with wood alcohol, i.e., methanol, as a cheap substitute for ethanol. Murder.
Passing judgement without full knowledge of what really took place ! !

There's lots of missing info, as stated in the previous post, plus what were those kids of age 13 - 17 doing there in the first place, where were their parents, what was there upbringing background, are just more questions with no info..

Not discounting that similar activity also take place here in N. A. (drugs) all in the name of money.. it's sad but that's life, as one can not change a person's mind if it is bound to do so, and we see that happening every day by all age..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

StillerBoy wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:59 am
seamusm53 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:24 pm I'll bet the levels ARE toxic and the cause of death. Someone poisoned these kids with wood alcohol, i.e., methanol, as a cheap substitute for ethanol. Murder.
Passing judgement without full knowledge of what really took place ! !

There's lots of missing info, as stated in the previous post, plus what were those kids of age 13 - 17 doing there in the first place, where were their parents, what was there upbringing background, are just more questions with no info..

Not discounting that similar activity also take place here in N. A. (drugs) all in the name of money.. it's sad but that's life, as one can not change a person's mind if it is bound to do so, and we see that happening every day by all age..

Mars
This is a majour issue in South Africa. Not all households conform to western standards regarding parenting. AND not all business owners have an ethical or even basic human interest.
The tavern in question is not like a western night club or even a bar where patronage may have an influence in service or invigilating laws.

There are reports that states food and drink were free. A further concern is that a report just after the incident indicated that the owner removed the alchohol from the premises, if true (very possible over here) the police did not do their job properly and outcome will only rely on autopsy reports.

Newest (6 hours ago) indicates methanol poisoning but not conclusive if it was ingested or as "by product".... what is the chance as " by product"?
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

elbono wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:55 pm
Kareltje wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:53 pm So??

Take that!
That's a rather callous response. 21 young people are dead!
Maybe callous. At the end of the article shootings are mentioned that killed 22 people. The article itself puts the tragedy in perspective.
The article notes "Alcohol poisoning and inhalation of carbon monoxide have both been ruled out as possible causes of death although traces of both were detected in the bodies of all 21 victims." You are probably in the majority that didn't read that closely.
And you are citing me very selectively. My Take that! was preceded by the remark that methanol normally does not occur in giant amounts in distillates.
This impacts us because we are lumped in with the "bootleggers" that adulterate their product for profit. My country is likely one of the worst for reactionary responses to tragedies like this. If I knew how to fix it my name would be on the next ballot for dictator of the world.
I am not afraid of being lumped in, for I do not sell my product AND I can easily explain and even proof that methanol normally is NOT a problem in fermented and/or distilled alcoholic drinks. I can even explain that for ignorant people and I am perfectly willing to do that.
I do not want to talk about your country, on this forum.
And I think that explaining the truth and reality to everyone is much better than being a dictator or prohibitting opinions.
My sympathy to the dead and their families, wishes of suitable consequences to the people responsible for this tragedy.
As said in the article: Murder! And proper reactions should be made!
eljefe3126
Novice

Post by eljefe3126 »

An update to this story lists the official cause of death as suffocation. Many of the families of the deceased are rejecting this as a coverup and claim the youths were poisoned in some way.

I have seen firsthand accounts that claim there was extreme overcrowding, that at one point someone order many of the patrons to leave and sprayed a substance on them in an effort to get them to leave. Firsthand reports were that the place was so packed that they couldn't make their way to the exits.

https://ewn.co.za/2022/09/02/scenery-pa ... t-enyobeni
NorthWoodsAb
Swill Maker

Post by NorthWoodsAb »

This is a very sad and unfortunate for these kids. It is, in my opinion, a deliberate act of adding a poison to alcohol for profit or malicious intent. An article like this in no way reflects on any home distiller. We all know the amount of methanol from a distillate is no where close to lethal levels. This is an act of depraved indifference toward human life and safety.