Reliable Amp/volt meter

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

foolproof
Novice

Reliable Amp/volt meter

Post by foolproof »

Can one of you fine gentleman suggest a good meter to mount in my still dragon 220v diy kit?
bunny
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Reliable Amp/volt meter

Post by bunny »

I like my DROK 100105 AC 100-300 100A $20 Amazon (maybe less elsewhere)
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (7.3 KiB) Viewed 1875 times
foolproof
Novice

Post by foolproof »

Excellent, thank you.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Just make sure you connect the voltage to read the input voltage , not the element voltage and it won’t burn out .

You basically are only using the current meter as the voltage meter is always showing supply voltage not the element voltage .
foolproof
Novice

Post by foolproof »

Will do fella, thanks for the tip!
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Yummyrum wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:17 pm Just make sure you connect the voltage to read the input voltage , not the element voltage and it won’t burn out .

You basically are only using the current meter as the voltage meter is always showing supply voltage not the element voltage .
Somebody needs to find a meter that has a power source wire that's separate from the voltage needing to be measured.
All the cheap meters I've found don't survive very long being powered by the saw tooth waveform from our controllers.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

So true Shady , funny you say that , I was just thinking as I posted above , why can’t we hack a common meter and add an external power supply so it don’t burn out . Can’t be that hard .
Kindafrench
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kindafrench »

Use an volt/amp meter with a coil. They never get into stress, because the current isn‘t measured through the device, only through the coil. Connect the whole thing before your controller, not after! So you avoid the PWMed sinewave anyway.
I bought one of these and I‘m very happy with it.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Kindafrench wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:38 am Use an volt/amp meter with a coil. They never get into stress, because the current isn‘t measured through the device, only through the coil. Connect the whole thing before your controller, not after! So you avoid the PWMed sinewave anyway.
Its not the measuring of the current that fries these meters . What the problem is is that they need power to operate .
The internal circuitry that derives this power takes it from the Voltage Measuring connection.
Unfortunately , when connected to a Phase controller ( read : SSRVr , SCR controller etc ) , the pulsed waveform , especially at lower power settings stresses out the components in the Volt/Amp meter that supply its power to operate , and they burn out.

Hence why they need to have the voltage measuring wires connected ti the input , not the output of the controller
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

I've been using this simple voltimeter for more than 2 years and I've never had any problems. Maybe he will burn over the years but for now he holds good. It is connected after the SCR voltage regulator.
voltmetro.png
bunny
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bunny »

I'm probably doing it wrong. I'm only running 120vac, however my DROK shows voltage to the element and the ammeter shows the amperage. I have checked this by measuring the voltage across the element with a vom and the amp draw with an ancient amprobe and the numbers are very close.
P1050044.jpg
These are actual numbers.
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

No need to measure the output side of the controller other than current. Power is simply input voltage and current. If you do that the meter will have a long life. When measuring the input voltage you can still see when the voltage sags due to grid load or your load. Some of the meters calculate power and display it, means you don’t even have to do math anymore to know your power.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I've given up on digital amp/volt meters
Now I use an analog AC volt meter and have a chart to convert what the meter shows into watts.
Bubba uses an analog amp meter that has been "calibrated" to directly show wattage with his 4500w heaters.
In other words, he covered the numbers on the dial with paper then marked in the watts. :lol:
Kindafrench
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kindafrench »

Voltmeter on the outputside. That‘s what I did on my first controller. Works very well and is easy to read. Not like my new digital backlit lcd volt/ampmeter, which is hardly readable from any angle other than front. Well, bad and cheap design has it‘s payoffs.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

shadylane wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:30 pm I use an analog AC volt meter
Me too Shady
Analog Voltmeter.jpg
shadylane wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:30 pm Bubba uses an analog amp meter that has been "calibrated" to directly show wattage with his 4500w heaters.
In other words, he covered the numbers on the dial with paper then marked in the watts.
I like that :thumbup:
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Kindafrench wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:42 pm Voltmeter on the outputside. That‘s what I did on my first controller. Works very well and is easy to read. Not like my new digital backlit lcd volt/ampmeter, which is hardly readable from any angle other than front. Well, bad and cheap design has it‘s payoffs.
Same thing. The voltimeter I published above is very cheap and is well. Only one hole for installation. I don't know why the others are burned immediately, but mine is the only visual indicator that I have, so connect it upstream would not make sense in my case.
Andrew_90
Rumrunner

Post by Andrew_90 »

Kindafrench wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:38 am Use an volt/amp meter with a coil. They never get into stress, because the current isn‘t measured through the device, only through the coil. Connect the whole thing before your controller, not after! So you avoid the PWMed sinewave anyway.
I can only but second this puppy.

One too many wasted sunsets, one too many for the road.
Birrofilo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Birrofilo »

I bought this:

No wiring to make, no worries about possible wrong connections, decently cheap, gives several measures, works, can be used with any appliance. Maximum applicable power 3680W. You can also set your electricity cost and measure the cost of a run.

Link doesn't show for some reason. Anyway, ASIN is B07CWRBPH7 and make is Zaeel. It's a plug-in type. You plug the measurer in the socket, the instrument has a socket where you plug your appliance.
foolproof
Novice

Post by foolproof »

Nice. I’m assuming they make a US version.
Kindafrench
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kindafrench »

Birrofilo wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:23 am I bought this:

No wiring to make, no worries about possible wrong connections, decently cheap, gives several measures, works, can be used with any appliance. Maximum applicable power 3680W. You can also set your electricity cost and measure the cost of a run.

Link doesn't show for some reason. Anyway, ASIN is B07CWRBPH7 and make is Zaeel. It's a plug-in type. You plug the measurer in the socket, the instrument has a socket where you plug your appliance.
At the beginning of my journey I used a similar plug. It‘s rated 16A/230V so it was fine to use, but got a bit warm on the outside. Ok to touch, just felt a bit odd and I don‘t like the idea that it might got hotter on the inside. So I stopped using it, aside it was a pita to read the display. If it stays cool, contacts clean, why not. I try to keep the amount of plugs and sockets as low as possible in the power chain. Power loss equals heat and that‘s never getting better over time.
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

control6.jpg
just commisioned my control box. volts on input side of the SCR, amp CT after SCR. fingers crossed it will last a while.
IMG_20210318_065454.jpg
IMG_20210318_065454.jpg (10.42 KiB) Viewed 1628 times
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Hey there Setsumi .

I’ve been looking at those Aviation connectors .They seem to tick all the boxes .Just looking though old builds and seen you used them .
How have you found them to work ?
I’m keen to use them .
Tōtōchtin

Post by Tōtōchtin »

This meter seems to be at a fair price.
https://es.aliexpress.com/item/1005002475255535.html
Tōtō
Si vis pacem, para bellum