Ice Wok Still "Construction"

Post here whats not safe to do or use.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Guy Friday
Novice

Ice Wok Still "Construction"

Post by Guy Friday »

Wok.jpg
My Wok Still ... the teflon outer on the Wok makes it slippery ... much better than the plain steel one I used for years and the thick aluminum keeps dead cold when filled with ice
wok2.jpg
Modified an old coffee can by tack welding on a length of Perforated Pipe Hanger Strapping ... without it the coffee can would "walk" around in the pot when the product was boiling, also that bit of distance REALLY reduces the coffee can's temperature as it's not picking up much heat directly from the pots bottom ... the Pyrex dish goes in the bottom of the coffee can as an insulator ... keeps the finished distillate much cooler
wok4.jpg
The is what it looks assembled before the Wok is in place! :)

A few tricks I learned ... run it HOT 180 to 190 F ... I get 1 litre of 112 proof out ... from 4 litres of sugar wash turbo yeast 19% in ... and it's clear as glass!

Sugar wash has no wood alcohol (well less than fresh apple juice) so there's no need to try and save out tails or heads, Don't open it till you're ready to bottle.

The turkey thermometer is calibrated (has a really long tail) and measures the wash temperature through a small hole drilled near the pots handle.

55 minutes (starting when the temp reaches 150F) is plenty long enough.

Keep the Wok full of ice ... the weight helps seal it on the pot!

Anyone who says it tastes awful? ... has probably actually tried some ... it's not very good! :) ... (but no-one wants to share so it lasts longer)

It's cheap! A 26'er for $3? ... cannot complain about the cost (a 26'r costs $25+ up here)

It's FAST ... Sugar, Turbo Yeast, Water, 5 days ... 55 minutes to distill per litre
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Ice Wok Still "Construction"

Post by yakattack »

Mods. I smell a troll
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

:esurprised: holy jesus
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

Are you sure you didn't miss something like jb weld or bathroom caulk to seal it with?
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

yakattack wrote:Mods. I smell a troll
I have to agree. Every button has been pushed in this post.

To the OP if you aren't a troll do some research and learn how to build a still. If you are a troll, go back to the bridge you came from.
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

I would say you are giving some seriously bad information to all readers of HD. You have made no separations in your spirit. You are advocating drinking a spirit that has acetones and methonols in it. What the heck are you thinking? That liquid in the measuring cup sure doesn't look clear as glass to me and what are you sealing the wok with. Are you saying that it seals without anything? No I don't believe that for one second. Plus you have a rusty tin can in the mix. How uniformed can you be.
ripcrd
Novice

Post by ripcrd »

I bet that rust really adds some kick.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

And about the bottom of the pan, where the vapor condenses: I fear, it's aluminium. Or is it capsuled in stainless?
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

I was going to put a smart-arse comment in.
Then I realized that it was only over a year ago I was a FNG and was about to build an "Amazing Still".

Once I found this site and did the required reading i figured out that it was a terrible idea and have "built" two safe stills since.

OP, I was in your shoes, didn't have any money to spend , was looking at ways to cut corners.
In the end I spend more money trying to cheep out than it would have cost to build it right in the first place.

I hope you read up, build something safe and stick around as this is a great hobby :thumbup:
Don't be a dick
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

As John Wayne pointed out, "Life's tough, it's tougher when you're stupid!!" He should have added, "It's shorter too!"
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Rastus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rastus »

I read a book a long time ago called the Alaskan bootleggers bible. It sparked the fire that caused me to find this spiritual sanctuary.. i learned some of the fundamentals there simple ideas and several types of stills explained, this WOK still being one of them. i think it was called the disappearing still because it was washed and put away in the kitchen cupboards.

i guess it would work in a bind or very primitive situation, like jacking your hard cider, and as Corene said you cant cut that headache inducing crap out.

since we are evolved humans and we here do know better, we should step up from the primitive arts and strive to produce better quality product that wont make us ill or those whom share our bounty.
She was just a moonshiner,
But he loved her Still
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Its in the what not to use section because it's what not to use. Its a method to concentrate more so than separate, there is more to good spirits than removing water
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Just a thought, that I haven't tried.
A possible way to make cuts with a WOK, would be to bring it to a slow boil for a couple of minutes before putting the ice filled bowl in place.
That should let the forshots and maybe some of the heads boil away. Good ventilation and no open flames, or luck would be needed. :shock:
One thing I'm sure of, a rusted tin can isn't Kosher.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

shadylane wrote:Just a thought, that I haven't tried.
A possible way to make cuts with a WOK, would be to bring it to a slow boil for a couple of minutes before putting the ice filled bowl in place.
That should let the forshots and maybe some of the heads boil away. Good ventilation and no open flames, or luck would be needed. :shock:
All due respect shady, That's a bad idea. This whole thing is a bad idea and suggesting something that could cause high alcohol vapor like a leak on steroids is no way to run a still. I still believe this is a case of trolling, Aluminum, thermometer in the pot, Ice, incredibly bad design, suggesting that it lasts longer because it tastes bad and the turbo yeast to get a full liter of product out of 4 liters of wash all add up to a troll or somebody who desperately needs to be set straight not told to do something unacceptable and dangerous in order to make a fores/heads cut on an already unacceptable and potentially dangerous design.
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

Darwin alert!

I can't believe this thread isn't in the "I can't believe" thread.
I may try the stir fry, but i'll pass on the spirits, thanks.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Rastus wrote: i guess it would work in a bind or very primitive situation
...Prison?

I actually did this 23 years ago as my first attempt. used a pot, floated a bowl in the wash, flipped the lid over and filled it with ice. it "worked".

i remember the bind well...just bought my first house, took the baby home from the hospital...had a 900 mortgage payment due at the end of the month. 900 bucks in my bank account and a visa card with a 2k limit.
My employer pulled the carpet out from under my feet on a huge bonus i had EARNED...and due to morals, ethics and being a very arrogant 20 something....called the prick a liar and cheat in front of all of his upper management...and left. :lol:

the OP is right about it lasting longer. i kept that 1/2 bottle i made for about 5 years before i threw it out. :sick: turned me off of making my own likker until this internet thing caught on and i found my way here.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
RumDummyDrunk
Swill Maker

Post by RumDummyDrunk »

Omg, omg, omg.... All I can say is omg!!! No one EVER try or use this potentially lethal means of distillation. :crazy: absolutely absurd :crazy:
But why is the rum gone? Capt Jack Sparrow
Drinking Rum before 9:00am makes you a pirate, not an alcoholic
pythonshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pythonshine »

I do believe this thread should be destroyed or made example of. It's just to much rule breaking and a possible way newcomers can get the wrong idea. It is concerning.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Python old son its in what not to use, its here for a reason. You read it and formed an opinion so it's doing what it should be doing which is informing the public. Censorship will not result in the dissemination of collective knowledge :thumbup:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
pythonshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pythonshine »

Point taken :thumbup: