Knee replacement

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

shadylane
Master of Distillation

Knee replacement

Post by shadylane »

I've been putting it off for years but can't put it off much longer. Guess, it's time to getter done.
This isn't what I want but my right knee can't straighten out, bend or bear weight. The Doc looked at the x-rays and said "damn I've never seen anything that bad, can I show this to other folks". Guess that's not a good sign from a 60+yr old orthopedic surgeon. On top of other medical issues, I'm getting too old for this shit.
Last edited by shadylane on Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Re: Knee replacement

Post by Salt Must Flow »

My wife needs both of her knees done. She's hoping to get the first knee done in January. Are you getting total knee reconstruction?
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Salt Must Flow wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:03 pm My wife needs both of her knees done. She's hoping to get the first knee done in January. Are you getting total knee reconstruction?
Yes total replacement on the right knee. The left knee and both hips are also bad.
Back, neck, shoulders, elbows, wrists also bad but at least I can still piss like a race horse.
Getting old isn't for sissies. :lol:

Like my Grandpa said.
"Hellsfire, if I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd taken better care of myself"
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

My wife has had both knees done and is happy with the results of both ops.

I'm over 70 and have not needed any of that crap and am even happier. I still ride a pushbike at least a couple of times a week and occasionally do weights.
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Oh, hell. We lead an active, enjoyable life and now we pay the piper. Complete right shoulder. Complete right hip for me. So many operations on the right shoulder the doc said he wouldn’t do any more. Guess I led an active life. Trying to get the VA involved but thats half a year away…they’re too busy with border crossers to have time for me.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I was told that I had a frozen right shoulder, (I couldn't lift my right hand high enough to pick my nose), I downloaded and printed exercises from the net and followed them religiously until the problem resolved. That was several years ago and the problem has never returned.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

shadylane wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:06 pm… but at least I can still piss like a race horse…
True that.

A year ago the BPH was out of control. So, finally the urologist said TURP (trans urethral resection of the prostate) is “the Gold standard”. Sure, it was inconvenient for a little while as “things” healed. But, it feels great to piss like a teenager again.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Yep. Rebore.

Geoff
The Baker
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

Good luck Shady!
I feel your pain, or at least mine. I have a torn meniscus, and a surgical consult in January. Hurts enough to do anything that all the good hobbies are off the table at the moment. Just standing too long is out. Takes a long time each time between appointments, waiting for the next, and this has been going on for months now.
Tōtōchtin

Post by Tōtōchtin »

Shady, I hear you about getting old isn't for sissies. I was in the states a few weeks ago and walked a few miles down an old surf spot. I like to hike. What used to be a sore knee after has become bone on bone now. Living in the country with no pavement can be rough. Called my Dr up and having her make an appt
Last time the surgeon said my knees were still tight he didn't want to mess with them. I had a date to do my right shoulder, couldn't lift my arm over shoulder height. I was at the beach in the water doing a head stand when a wave came by. I tried to stay straight up,doing so caused a loud pop in my shoulder. Coming up I was holding my arm thinking I really fucked the pooch only to discover I had complete mobility in my arm. I've fractured vertebrae in my neck, broke vertebrae in my lower back, hyper extended my knee badly, and stitched up numerous times surfing for 50 years. No regrets. But I never thought I would live this long to have to deal with it. I would have thought they would have come up with a complete rebuild kit by now.
Tōtō
Si vis pacem, para bellum
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Tōtōchtin wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:22 am
Shady, I hear you about getting old isn't for sissies. I was in the states a few weeks ago and walked a few miles down an old surf spot.
Damn, if I could walk a few miles, I'd take a hike down the road to visit a possible girlfriend my wife doesn't know about. As it is now, I've got a crutch next to the bed so I can get to the bathroom to take a piss in the morning.

On a side note.
The folks talking about getting their prostate roto rooted makes me think knee replacement isn't that big of a deal. :lol:
OlympicMtDoo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by OlympicMtDoo »

bilgriss wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:00 am Good luck Shady!
I feel your pain, or at least mine. I have a torn meniscus, and a surgical consult in January. Hurts enough to do anything that all the good hobbies are off the table at the moment. Just standing too long is out. Takes a long time each time between appointments, waiting for the next, and this has been going on for months now.
I had the meniscus surgery on my right knee several years ago, I couldn't hardly walk anymore. Surgery was very short and sweet and I walked out feeling better than when I walked in. Within a couple weeks I was almost good as new and still am. Good luck

The wife has one new knee that's almost 20 years old and still good. My uncle had both replaced at the same time and did quite well, he was a tuff old bastard. Good luck Shaddy
Sometimes I wonder why is that Frisbee getting bigger......and then it hits me.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

OlympicMtDoo wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:30 am
My uncle had both replaced at the same time and did quite well, he was a tuff old bastard. Good luck Shaddy
That's good info and fits my description. :lol:
But I'll have one knee at a time done.
I'm still fighting with the Veterans administration about where to get the surgery done for my service-connected problem. They want me to go to a much lower rated hospital out of state than one that's nearby to where I live.
tommysb
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tommysb »

I figure I'm about half the age of some of the chaps posting in this thread...But still getting to an age where health issues are starting to surface.

SO - from the guys who've lived it -

what's the thing (HEALTH WISE ;) ) you wished you had taken more care of over the years?

Cheers!
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

tommysb wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:00 pm… what's the thing (HEALTH WISE ;) ) you wished you had taken more care of over the years?
Like Shady suggested … walked down the road and spent some time with “the girlfriend” that the wife didn’t know about (yes, past tense now, she’s moved on for the next “sucker”). Afterall, it wouldn’t have cost me any more than it did. But I sure could have used the “exercise”, if you get my drift. :wink:
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

There's a definitely problem with going down the road to visit the younger woman.
Both my wife and her are nice, smart and they would become allies.
What sounds like a wet dream, isn't going to work now.
They would gang up on me, while I was disabled and unable defend myself.
Two wives are bad, three is workable, If you can survive the drama, seven or more is better. :lol:
Forest Beekeeper
Novice

Post by Forest Beekeeper »

I have many friends who have replacement knees. Now days it is an out-patient procedure. You go in the mornign and that afternoon you walk out, WALKING.

I wish you fast healing and no pain.
FuzzNFroth
Novice

Post by FuzzNFroth »

Forest Beekeeper wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:18 am You go in the morning and that afternoon you walk out, WALKING.
Don 't tell that to my wife!. She had her second knee replacement Dec 6 and is still having to use a walker. Thankfully I'm retired and can take care of her. With PT she is getting better, just not that fast.
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Well, as things move along, I took a fall off a short ladder in May . Fucked my right rotator again. Did the surgery and this time it’s apparently failed. Can’t hold a coffee cup up at shoulder height, hell can’t even lift a full one there. Guess the rest of my days will be living with a left arm and half a right one as the Doc says he won’t go at it again. Nothin’ in there but scar tissues now. But f’ it! Tomorrow I’ll work out, work in the garden, set up a 5 gal plum mead. I ain’t quitting over a little thing like that. Never quit, never surrender, and don’t let the bastards win.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Yonder wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:26 pm But f’ it! Tomorrow I’ll work out, work in the garden, set up a 5 gal plum mead. I ain’t quitting over a little thing like that. Never quit, never surrender, and don’t let the bastards win.
+1 Yonder, got my fair share of busted bits courtesy of motorcycling when younger, ya just gotta work smarter and slower sometimes, but ya don't give up on the things ya love :thumbup:
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

Knee surgery in one week. They're just going to shave down cartilage where it's torn so it doesn't rub. In the short term, it's fixed, but the loss of cartilage makes it more likely to need a knee replacement in a decade or so.
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

bilgriss wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:38 am Knee surgery in one week. They're just going to shave down cartilage where it's torn so it doesn't rub. In the short term, it's fixed, but the loss of cartilage makes it more likely to need a knee replacement in a decade or so.
You’re gonna be fine. We all wish you the best and thats a lotta wishin’.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

bilgriss wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:38 am Knee surgery in one week. They're just going to shave down cartilage where it's torn so it doesn't rub. In the short term, it's fixed, but the loss of cartilage makes it more likely to need a knee replacement in a decade or so.
Been there, done that and it was worth it.
Another 3 weeks and I'll have a new knee joint.
I watched a couple YouTube videos. :shock:
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

shadylane wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:09 pm
Been there, done that and it was worth it.
Another 3 weeks and I'll have a new knee joint.
I watched a couple YouTube videos. :shock:
Oi, Shady. You should know the we as a community take a hard line on tube videos. :D
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

"Moonshamers, The Knee Edition"

Good luck Shady!
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Knee replacement surgery is tomorrow.
I wonder if I can talk the Doctor into giving me the pieces of bone that's going to be cut off.
The calcium could be used for moonshine ingredients. :lol:
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

2 weeks ago my wife had her knee reconstruction surgery. After recovery 9 out of 10 people piss their bed because of the epidural. You just can't feel anything so you don't have any control. They have you up and taking steps within hours (as soon as you the epidural wears off). They had her walking 2-3 times in the first day. All went well with walking. The next day they let her go home. The drive home wasn't fun for her because the nurse doubled up her pain pill right before we left the hospital. 15-20 minutes into the ride the narcotic started kicking in. She felt nauseous, hot and had to roll the window down. After she got over that strong narcotic hump she felt better.

What helped her the most is buying two of these gel ice packs for her knee. Ice the knee OFTEN to help reduce inflammation. She wore one while the other one stays cold in the freezer. She would swap them and always had a cold pack ready to use. Sometimes she prefers a frozen bag of pees on each side of her knee.

She was constipated for nearly 2 weeks even though they prescribed a stool softener and though she was eating prunes. What solved it was eating some chewable fiber gummies. She ate 3 in the afternoon, 3 at night, 3 the next morning and that fixed it! I'd start eating some gummies once you get home so you don't get really backed up like she did.

It's been about 2 weeks and she quit taking her pain pills entirely. Since day one, she's also been taking Intenzyme Forte and Biost natural supplements which reduces inflammation, reduces pain and aids greatly in rehabilitation. I believe that helped her to quit taking the pain pills too. Now she has 50% mobility of her knee. She has physical therapy every Monday, Wednesday and Friday and they said 50% mobility (can bend it 90 degrees) is ahead of the norm.
Last edited by Salt Must Flow on Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

shadylane wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:10 pm Knee replacement surgery is tomorrow.
I wonder if I can talk the Doctor into giving me the pieces of bone that's going to be cut off.
The calcium could be used for moonshine ingredients. :lol:
Best of luck to you Shady.
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I have a new Knee joint.
It's stiff and sore but already has a wider range of motion than the original one.
I forgot to ask the Doc about getting pieces of bone for making moonshine.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Good news Shady :thumbup:

Shame about the bone though .