Does the height of the bubble caps matters?

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Danmarcus
Novice

Does the height of the bubble caps matters?

Post by Danmarcus »

Hi again!

I have a somewhat sleeping project with a 104 mm outside diameter (~4 inch) column.
I do not have a suitable boiler for it yet that’s why it is progressing very slowly.

To my questions, does it matter how much the caps are above the plate? Most of the ones I made are 22 mm (~7/8 inch)
What is a suitable distance between the pipe that comes up under the cap and the “ceiling” of the cap.

For some reason all pictures becomes turned 90 degrees clockwise when I attach them!
Mod : I fix him for you
IMG_9606.jpeg
IMG_9607.jpeg
IMG_9608.jpeg
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: Does the height of the bubble caps matters?

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Most of my experience is with perforated plates, with those the general rule of thumb seems to be that the deeper the fluid on the plate the less flavour carry over.
Pretty sure the same applies to cap plates
FWIW the bath depth on my 4 inch perf plate column is 20mm.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

This "topic" thread, is going to confuse newbs because the pic is not the standard bubble cap that is used in most of our cap plate build threads. So I felt it needed to be said. All bubble baps are not the same.
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

The height of the riser inside tje caps, the height of the slots in the caps and the height of the downcomer above the plate and the height of the vapour lock on the downcomer is important.

The vapour path between the cap and riser and slots should be as close to equal so pressure does not build up.

Look for a thread by flying duchtmen on plate efficiency, it discuss plate depth in perforated plates but it is a good read.

My opinion is on caps, plate depth is less important than on perforated plates because of the bigger turndown factor than in perfs. As long as your plates does not flood.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Setsumi wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:58 pm The height of the riser inside tje caps, the height of the slots in the caps and the height of the downcomer above the plate and the height of the vapour lock on the downcomer is important.

The vapour path between the cap and riser and slots should be as close to equal so pressure does not build up.

Look for a thread by flying duchtmen on plate efficiency, it discuss plate depth in perforated plates but it is a good read.

My opinion is on caps, plate depth is less important than on perforated plates because of the bigger turndown factor than in perfs. As long as your plates does not flood.
I agree The flying dutchmens plate thread is is a good read. I was having fun with that back then.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Danmarcus wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:23 am
To my questions, does it matter how much the caps are above the plate? Most of the ones I made are 22 mm (~7/8 inch)
On procaps as shown in the picture.

Taller caps will raise the fluid depth.
The downcomers liquid trap will need to be made deeper or the vapor will blow up the down comer and the plate will be difficult to get loaded. Also all the caps on a plate need to be identical or one or more of the caps will act different and hog all the vapor or do nothing.
Danmarcus
Novice

Post by Danmarcus »

Thanks for all your inputs, seems I have a little to think about here.
Maybe I need to re-think my 4" project...