Sugar syrup is a solution of water and sugar that has been heated to near boiling, then cooled down. The advantage of using a sugar syrup over sugar crystals is that the sugar syrup will impart a smoother mouth feel into the final spirit.
When we talk about syrup it is usually sugar syrup. Sugar syrup is used for many recipes. The ratio is 1 part water to 2 parts sugar. Boil together for about 5 minutes, making sure the sugar dissolves. The syrup must be cool before adding to the alcohol mixture, as heat evaporates alcohol.
Sugar syrup is 1 part water to 2 parts sugar.
- 1/2 cup water + 1 cup sugar yields 1 cup syrup.
- 1 cup syrup + 3 cups alcohol (80%bv) = 60% abv liqueur
- 1 cup syrup + 3 cups alcohol (40%bv) = 30% abv liqueur
- 2 cups syrup + 3 cups alcohol (80%bv) = 48% abv liqueur
- 2 cups syrup + 3 cups alcohol (40%bv) = 24% abv liqueur
If using 95% ABV alcohol, use twice as much syrup, with an extra 1/4 cup of water per cup of syrup.