Boka still safety valve

Vapor, Liquid or Cooling Management. Flutes, plates, etc.

Moderator: Site Moderator

ulster_beef1
Novice

Boka still safety valve

Post by ulster_beef1 »

Hello folks,

My still is nearing completion (pics to follow). I have read up on the forum regarding safety valves but I can't seem to get a full answer for my piece of mind.

I have a 54mm column which is vented at the top and is therefore 'fine'. However, I intend to run gin with a botanical bag/ container at the top of the column, which may clog up and result in pressure build up.

My column will be attached to a 20l stainless cooking pot. I intend to seal the lid with dough and held closed with crocodile clips or similar.

I believe a valve is best placed in the pot yes? Being a cooking pot and not a pressure cooker for example, there's no PSI rating. Therefore, how do I know what rating of valve to get? The dough may fail first but I want it as full proof as possible.

The above is a problem for me, as running a basic sugar wash won't cause any pressure but how much would a clogged bag create? A simple marble/ kettle valve could work but is that up to the job?

Basically I've read up on people's ideas but I haven't seen any indication of what PSI valve I should aim for.

Thanks for your help
rad14701
retired

Re: Boka still safety valve

Post by rad14701 »

You really don't want pressure building up at all... Where would you vent to...??? IF you go the pressure relief route you wouldn't want more then a 1 - 3 PSI relief valve and they can be tough to find and might be pricey... Perhaps rethinking you intentions would be a better option... You'd probably have a leak through your flour paste before a PRV tripped anyway... Heating with an open flame could prove disastrous...
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

Could always use a manometer vented to the outside.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

pfshine wrote:Could always use a manometer vented to the outside.
Probably the best and cheapest solution...
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

+++++++10 to pfshine and rad.

Safe, easy... and works well!

B