Easy Flour Paste

Fittings, parrots, packing, tooling and so on.

Moderator: Site Moderator

lloyd778
Novice

Easy Flour Paste

Post by lloyd778 »

I know, what could be easier than mixing flour and water together? Try using a Ziploc bag. Add equal measures of rye flour and water, seal the bag, and massage it a little to mix. Then cut a very small bit off of the corner. Now you can "pipe" it onto your surface and when done just throw the bag away. No cleanup needed. It does seem to stick better if you let it rest a few minutes after mixing it.
Attachments
paste 021.JPG
rad14701
retired

Re: Easy Flour Paste

Post by rad14701 »

Excellent pointer, lloyd778... I kicked the idea around a while back but never gave it a try... What I was thinking was that I could put the mixing and application bag into another zip lock bag and save it for future use... I only use a small portion of what I have to mix in order to get the consistency I'm trying to achieve...
lloyd778
Novice

Post by lloyd778 »

Hi Rad, I tried saving it but the consistancy seems to change with a very short amount of time and temperature. If refrigerated it thickens too much to get out of the bag. If left at room temp, it seems to break down and thin out. Donno why. I don't know if it is a gluten thing or what. But the whole thing only costs about 2 or 3 cents so I just toss it away. Its handy though, I hated getting that sticky stuff on my fingers and was a bit concerned about washing the glob down my drain pipes. With this simple trick I can be both cheap and lazy. So of course I like it :D
Hack
retired

Post by Hack »

Interesting approach. The bag is pretty clever.

Here's another way that's no better or worse, just different. I prefer my flour paste with more of a play dough consistency. In a mixing bowl I add two cups of flour. Then add 3/4 cup water. Knead it all together for an even consistency. If you keep dry flour on your hands you'll minimize it sticking to your fingers. This will give you a nice lump of dough that wont stick to your fingers. You can form it and stick it on the places you want to seal without the sticky mess of a paste like consistency. It seals just fine and when it's time to clean up for the most part it breaks off in whole pieces and leaves very little scraping.
lloyd778
Novice

Post by lloyd778 »

Really good tips Hack, thanks. So often it all comes down to a series of little things that make a job easy. The real tools are in your head. The next time I need a stiff mixture for a rope of dough, I'll follow your advice. I just always felt like I can't touch anything when working with it because my fingers were so sticky.
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Yup, good tip there, lloyd.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.