Heat shield material's

This hobby is fun & enjoyable, but it is not tiddlywinks. Be safe!

Moderator: Site Moderator

McGiver
Novice

Heat shield material's

Post by McGiver »

I'm looking for Heat shield material, does anyone have any suggestions on what I could use for a heat shield for a 15 gallon keg. Id like it to be flame proof of course. I thought of fiberglass cloth, but I think that would turn into a giant wick if alc and flame should get together with it.I see in rednose avatar pic with 2 insulated pots, it looked like a neat idea.

Any suggestions? Or is it just a bad idea.
kiwistiller
retired

Re: Heat shield material's

Post by kiwistiller »

Air works well - a metal shroud will hold it in place :)
Three sheets to the wind!
My stuff
myles
retired

Post by myles »

kiwistiller wrote:Air works well - a metal shroud will hold it in place :)
+1. With insulation on the shroud for protection and efficiency.

I tried a galvanised bin for the shroud. Cut the bottom right out and sealed it to the keg with fire cement. Initialy insulated with expanding foam. Looked nice enough but did not work when hot.

Replaced the foam with a layer of fire cement blended with vermiculite,
that workred just fine.

Last edited by myles on Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bayou-Ruler
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bayou-Ruler »

Bayou Ethanol
Ethanol Fuel Producer

AFP-LA-15027
http://www.BayouEthanol.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
solaryellow
Novice

Post by solaryellow »

How about a 55 gal drum cut down? Seems cheap and easy.
McGiver
Novice

Post by McGiver »

Thanks for the ideas and some of the R&D that has been done, I thought about the foam too looks like that's out for sure. I was hoping someone had a light weight fire proof jacket that they just zipped over it, lol

The fireproof cement and vermiculite looks good, is that removable, does it weigh down the boiler alot?

Ive also given the steal drum cover a thought, have you tried that one yet solar?
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kentucky shinner »

Here is one I made in about 30 mins and it cost about 6 bucks it is made with duct work sheet metal and a few pop rivets. I have used it on my keg boiler about a dozen times now and it really cuts down the heat up time.
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 27&start=0
myles
retired

Post by myles »

McGiver wrote:Thanks for the ideas and some of the R&D that has been done, I thought about the foam too looks like that's out for sure. I was hoping someone had a light weight fire proof jacket that they just zipped over it, lol

The fireproof cement and vermiculite looks good, is that removable, does it weigh down the boiler alot?

Ive also given the steal drum cover a thought, have you tried that one yet solar?
For lightweight, flameproof (and expensive) look at ceramic fibre insulation that they use in pottery kilns

My cement covered shroud was bonded to the boiler as I fitted a flue, and it is fairly heavy.
McGiver
Novice

Post by McGiver »

Nice ideas, thanks for the help. Time to start looking for suitable materials, Nice pics By the way.
Aces High
Swill Maker

Post by Aces High »

The cut down drum works really well and is definitely the cheapest option. Also cut a third off my start up times
DSCF2585.JPG
DSCF2590.JPG
BakerBoy
Novice

Post by BakerBoy »

Aces High wrote:The cut down drum works really well and is definitely the cheapest option. Also cut a third off my start up times
Sorry to bring an old thread back up... but Ace, do you find enough air gets to your gas burner with that shroud? ... or do you reckon some air/vent holes down the bottom are needed?
I don't get drunk... I get Awesome!
Never take a date to a wedding, that’s like taking a deer carcass on a hunting trip - Barney Stinson
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

BakerBoy wrote:
Aces High wrote:The cut down drum works really well and is definitely the cheapest option. Also cut a third off my start up times
Sorry to bring an old thread back up... but Ace, do you find enough air gets to your gas burner with that shroud? ... or do you reckon some air/vent holes down the bottom are needed?
I'd just rest it on a couple sticks or bricks... If you put holes in it they should be on one side only so you can position the air intake away from the wind... For running indoors this may not be a problem but for running outdoors it could be...
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

"My cement covered shroud was bonded to the boiler as I fitted a flue, and it is fairly heavy"
use water glass/sodium silicate? as a binder .this is what is used in the light wight bricks/blocks used in kilns,furnaces
TexasReflux
Swill Maker

Post by TexasReflux »

I cut a piece of corrugated metal to size and bolted it in a round shape, about the length of my boiler, one of the best mods so far. I use a propane burner that has a stand, so it just sits on the stand with an air gap in between the still.
yankeeclear
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yankeeclear »

My propane burner and boiler are "walled in" stacked bricks (no mortar) for heat retention. Some gaps on two sides ensure air flow. A small square piece of fire board over the top with a hole cut out for the column riser completes the "boiler box". Pluses: safe, efficient. Minuses: Not very portable, requires lifting and dropping the boiler into the box.
“Half the lies they tell about me aren't true.”
-Yogi Berra
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

yankeeclear wrote:My propane burner and boiler are "walled in" stacked bricks (no mortar) for heat retention. Some gaps on two sides ensure air flow. A small square piece of fire board over the top with a hole cut out for the column riser completes the "boiler box". Pluses: safe, efficient. Minuses: Not very portable, requires lifting and dropping the boiler into the box.
Thanks, yank; a possibility I had not thought of.
There's lots of old bricks near my shed, and I could build into the brick surround a big gap where the drain tap is, with a 'door'
(piece of tin or something) to sit in the hole when distilling....
The Baker