Chicken Scratch.

All about grains. Malting, smoking, grinding and other preparations.
Which grains are hot, which are not.

Moderator: Forum Mods

Chicken Scratch.

Postby jtaylo7 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:40 pm

Greenhorn Question, couldn't find it on the boards.
Southern States sells chicken scratch (appears to be just oats and corn but it may have other grains) for about 20% less than corn. It's just grain, no fortification. Does anyone have any experience with using this for mash and if so, could you provide a recipe? Thanks.
jtaylo7
Novice

Re: Chicken Scratch.

Postby Dnderhead » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:25 am

There is no need as there are only two ways of doing grain, 1)mashing 2)sugar head . once you learn to do these you can use any grain or grain and sugar you want.all others are just variations of these.
if you want sugar type go to UJSSM that can be done sweet or sour.
if you want mashing .then search for mashing. but basically you cook the raw grain, cool then add malt/enzymes
not knowing what you want or your experience is.I cant be of much help.
Dnderhead
Master Distiller

Postby NineInchNails » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:43 am

jtaylo7, I've been wondering the same thing myself about using chicken scratch. I get it locally for about $8.00 per 50# bag at TSC (Tractor Supply Company). It's called 'Producers Pride Scratch Grain'. There is millet, milo, cracked corn, rolled oats, rolled barley and I might have missed one or two others.

I’ve also wondered about using Bird Seed. Walmart has 40# bags of ‘Morning Song Year-Round’ Bird Seed for approx $14.00 and when it’s on sale it can be priced at about $9.00. This stuff contains millet, milo, cracked corn and sunflower seeds.

Once I get my still going I’ll likely try both out and see how it goes. Local grain suppliers might be able to provide you with similar grains at a lower price though. I’m considering trying the ‘Sweet Feed’ recipe with my 1st grain attempt.
NineInchNails
Bootlegger

Postby Dnderhead » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:12 am

go ahead, just two things, check for preservatives (they can slow or even stop a ferment) and all grain should be cracked.
(if yeast/enzymes cant git to starch then you wont have as much flavor from them or any starch conversion) some bird food has been
sterilized by heat.this will not bother if doing a UJSSM stile ferment or using malt/enzymes.
Dnderhead
Master Distiller

Postby rad14701 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:51 am

The only potential problem with both the chicken scratch and bird seed is that some of the seeds contain oils which may or may not have an impact on the prolonged viability of your yeast... That plus the potential for preservatives as Dnderhead mentioned...
rad14701
Master Distiller

Postby NineInchNails » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:43 pm

All good info.

jtaylo7, I'm not trying to hijack your thread, but I couldn't help but comment because I'm familiar with both bird seed and chicken scratch. Both have millet, milo, and cracked corn so they are not that much different.

Dnderhead and Rad, in my experience with bird seed it swells quite a bit and will split even with just a short soak in hot (nearly boiling) water. You guys think that might solve the problem with regard to 'not being cracked' issue?

I called the manufacturer of the Morning Song bird seed and they say that it hasn't been treated in any way.

From what I understand, sunflower seeds supposedly contain oil. When you dump a bunch of bird seed into a bucket, rinse it using a garden hose, 100% of the sunflower seeds float and are skimmed right out. Many of the premature seeds and other odd fragments (pieces of corn cob) float out too. I wouldn’t know if any of the other grains contain oil or not.
NineInchNails
Bootlegger

Return to Grains