home distiller anonymous

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: home distiller anonymous

Post by yakattack »

Haha feel you. It's 12 28 am right now. Just got home from helping the ex wife with a few house issues after a movie with her and my oldest daughter. Debating stripping the 12 gallons of rum now or waking up at 5 to do it...
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DSM Loki »

It's a problem. I was in a 94*F garage with a heat index of 106*F from 1230 until 1000 and I'm excited to do it again tomorrow.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

I just ran off a 50# rice spirit run, made a case and a half of potstiller's vodka.
I just ran into a clearance sale on long grain white rice, $2.25 for 5# bags.
I don't need any more rice, and I don't need any more rice shine.
I could have walked away.
I bought 50#. It's a problem.
(face in hands)
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

that rice shine is nice though, did you flute yours or just thumper run?
Don't be a dick
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:I just ran off a 50# rice spirit run, made a case and a half of potstiller's vodka.
I just ran into a clearance sale on long grain white rice, $2.25 for 5# bags.
I don't need any more rice, and I don't need any more rice shine.
I could have walked away.
I bought 50#. It's a problem.
(face in hands)
sounds good. this is your first rice run right? we were talking about rice at truckinbutches right?

what did you think of final spirit? i personally enjoyed the mash as a wine. i should have kept some of the mash and added a little heart to make it like a fortified saki wine thing.

price is right too. i will sometime s find 20# of rice for a little less than 10 bucks. waaaay cheeper than most other grains and ends up being a great alterinative to make sme good booze for the right price

ill def be doing rice again. im suprised more people dont make it

cheers.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

rager wrote:we were talking about rice at truckinbutches right?
Yep, this was my first rice batch and it turned out great.
I'm happy with the "vodka" I made with it and now I'm gonna go back and try a couple idea for more rice-flavored spirits.
Toughest thing I've ever put through my corona, gotta grind it in smaller steps, but other than that it is super easy with liquid enzymes.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

My wife says I need to check in again :problem: I'm trying to get my big ferment of Unicorn sweat run which means 4 runs, but my cooling limitations mean I can only do one run a day. I also only have enough jars for 2 runs. She keeps saying I have a problem. She says stuff like "DON'TYOU HAVE ENOUGHBOOZE!!!!!" :eh: Uh no. "HOWMUCHDOYOUNEED?!?!" :problem: Um enough "WELLHOWMUCH IS ENOUGH?!?!?!" :sarcasm: Um, there isn't enough :ebiggrin: "You have a problem" :evil:

So here I am, I'm Cranky and I can't make enough booze :crazy:
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Cranky , like me , the problem is too much wife . You keep attending these meetings and we'll study this out together ...............
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Only problem I see, Cranky, is that you need to go out and get a few more jars.
We're here to help. :thumbup:
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Truckinbutch wrote:Cranky , like me , the problem is too much wife . You keep attending these meetings and we'll study this out together ...............
I got a good one but she has been on this medicine lately that seems to make her hate fruit :wtf: I told her yesterday I'm waiting for Ace hardware to put the barrels they have on sale for half price and I am going to buy one. She said "You do and I'll move out!!!" Then she said something about not enough room for a 60 gallon barrel and something about the porch not getting done and the kitchen not being finished and wanting a car of her own and all kinds of crazy stuff like that. Today I started writing an email to her doctor about the medicine having these weird side effects because a medicine that makes you hate fruit is just not right.
MichiganCornhusker wrote:Only problem I see, Cranky, is that you need to go out and get a few more jars.
We're here to help. :thumbup:
See, I thought that too and actually bought a case of pint jars last month at Ace for $7 a dozen. That evening when I got home I told my wife about them being on sale and she had a cow and said "WE DON'T NEED ANY MORE JARS!!!!"
I know, crazy talk! :crazy: I think the medicine is effecting her judgement too. Just because I bought something like 80 jars at an estate sale a while back she thinks we have enough. It might be enough if I ever succeed in getting the garage cleaned. Somewhere in there there are tons of jars if I can ever find them. A bunch even have food in them, if you can believe that :problem:
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

cranky, seriously, I think you need a hoarding intervention... :twisted: Take it from the son of a hoarder... :evil:
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

That or more storage space. And a catolog system, something similar to the Smithsonian, and maybe a few minions to keep everything organized so we he needs something it is just there for him.

And more fruit. And jars. And time
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Darn Cranky!

I definitly belong to this DH Anonymous

Hi my name is B_________ and I have a problem...........

Last 1.5 months have made 6g of Sweet Feed whiskey 62.5%, 1 G of Rum (65%) 2+ G or Vodka (45%) some Gin. Next is some Booner's all corn, Maybe a Rye like George Washington's (60% Rye, 35% Corn and 5% Barley will use enzymes to get better conversion and looking for indian corn or blue corn for it) Also some wheat vodka and Neutral on the horizon.

B
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Welcome, bitter, you are among friends here, we understand...
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Cranky , I can offer no help . Ya see , I'm in the dog house again . I pulled out SOH's 3 gallon stainless steel cook pot today and put it on HER stove and proceeded to boil up a gallon of field corn in a solution of slacked lime and water .
>When questioned about my purpose I mumbled something about home made hominy and making fresh tortillas and their great nutritional value and maybe adding some enzymes to some of it for a mash that might make a decent drop .
>SOH waved her hands in the air and invoked a crucified saint before she stomped off shaking her head ..................
>I may need a little help over here . We prolly gots to do an intervention on her .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

I seam to be permanently in the dog house. Been here so long feel no reason to get outa it begining to like it.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I feel for you TB, The other day my wife left her 5 gallon stock pot on the drain board. Being the thoughtful husband I am, I put it away for her. Then I thought "that would be prefect for dipping wash out of the 55 gallon fermenter" So I grabbed it and began using it to fill the boiler. Because of my cooling and time limitations I can only do one run a day so I left it out there.

That night my wife said "Thank you for putting the stock pot away... :problem: ...It's in the garage isn't it :evil: "

:econfused: Maybe

I'm not sure who she may have invoked but it wasn't pleasant. Turns out right about that time she was planning on using it to make some chicken stock so I had to go get it and wash it for her. I'm thinking she might need an intervention too.
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

cranky wrote: She says stuff like "DON'TYOU HAVE ENOUGHBOOZE!!!!!"
Fortnately, I got my wife off the commercial stuff and hooked on my cereal washes so I haven't heard her say this to me. :angel: I have also found that if you buy corny kegs, you can stash 5 gallons at a time and the wife doesn't notice them like a whole shelf full of jars staked up. :P
cranky wrote: Somewhere in there there are tons of jars if I can ever find them. A bunch even have food in them, if you can believe that :problem:
Food? :shock: Why would you put food in liquor jars? :think: :wtf:
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Hound Dog wrote:
cranky wrote: She says stuff like "DON'TYOU HAVE ENOUGHBOOZE!!!!!"
Fortnately, I got my wife off the commercial stuff and hooked on my cereal washes so I haven't heard her say this to me. :angel: I have also found that if you buy corny kegs, you can stash 5 gallons at a time and the wife doesn't notice them like a whole shelf full of jars staked up. :P
Been giving mine the same stuff but she likes a drink called a toasted almond, which is Kahlua, Amaretto and milk but as we have gotten older she seems to have started having a problem with the milk so she can't drink it anymore. So now she wants wine instead of the hard stuff and looks at all those bottles in the closet and thinks it is a lot. I don't keep anything in jars except while aging

Hound Dog wrote:
cranky wrote: Somewhere in there there are tons of jars if I can ever find them. A bunch even have food in them, if you can believe that :problem:
Food? :shock: Why would you put food in liquor jars? :think: :wtf:
Disaster preparedness, you never know when an earthquake will hit or that damn volcano will erupt and I wanted to make sure I had plenty of food in the most fragile containers as possible just in case :moresarcasm:
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

cranky wrote: Disaster preparedness, you never know when an earthquake will hit or that damn volcano will erupt and I wanted to make sure I had plenty of food in the most fragile containers as possible just in case :moresarcasm:
I hear you on the disaster preparedness. Not so much earth quakes or volcanoes on this coast as much as government downfall. I live in the shadow of the alternate non elected government in the hollow bluestone mountain set up to take over in case SHTF and DC goes dark :shh: . I have a stockpile of freeze-dried food and tin hats myself :crazy: .
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

I bet my wife up in the sleep
Was dreaming i soldered on a plate at the bottom of the downcommer and it became unstuck and started to slide, turned over in bed and hit her tit.... on two occasions.

In all fairness her tits are starting to slide too.... so might have been subconscious :)

I denied any recollection of the dream when she asked in the morning
Don't be a dick
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Hahahahahahah. That's to funny
Fart Vader
Swill Maker

Post by Fart Vader »

Dear HD, my name is Fart and I too am a mashaholic.

I started slow, learning from from the big boys.
UJSSM 5 gallons at a time.
Then I moved on to 20 gallons of Wineos.
After that I graduated to 40 gallons, of Birdwatcher's.
Then I followed the rabbit down the hole and tried Booner's and enzymes in 40 gallon batches.

Now I'm a lost cause and have degenerated to a double-barrel setup.
Not a 12 gauge, but twin 55 gallon fermenters. :lol:
Malting my own wheat, and mashing corn in 90 gallon batches (well, one batch so far).
Now I, just bought a bunch of corny kegs so I can finally age some of this stuff for longer than 3 months !!!

It's nice to know I can always come here for support.
It can't get any crazier than this?
Can it? :crazy:
My double walled boiler build: The Mashimizer. viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64980
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Fart Vader wrote:Now I, just bought a bunch of corny kegs so I can finally age some of this stuff for longer than 3 months !!!
At that pace I should hope you are out producing your consumption! :shock:
Congrats on your progression as well as being able to handle large mashes.
It's ok, we understand.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Fart Vader wrote: It can't get any crazier than this?
Can it? :crazy:
yup. :oops:
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Dunno Butch reckon its lovely of you good wife to apleal to the almighty to bless your mash, funny I might have though she would have resented you invading HER kitchen for mashing :lol:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

thecroweater wrote:Dunno Butch reckon its lovely of you good wife to apleal to the almighty to bless your mash, funny I might have though she would have resented you invading HER kitchen for mashing :lol:
??! I miss sumpin here or have I had too much to drink tonight ? That went plumb over my head ......................
(EDIT) Nemmer mind . I found what you was referring to and , yes , I've had too much to drink tonight .
Last edited by Truckinbutch on Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Lol crow ,i bet it was more of a curse though
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hillbilly Popstar »

I'm still here.
Probably got 12 runs under my belt since I last posted.
At least 10 gens of sweet feed and 2 different brandies.

Finally got a couple gallons in the attic on chips.

Starting to look into more refined ferments, like all grains or all corn.

It's a little intimidating. But at least I'm not greedy to build up a stock.

If I could just keep those jars off my lips long enough to get more than 3-4 months on them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
"Making likker with a hydrometer and thermometer is like measuring the length of a 2x4 with a clock"
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Damn! It's almost 4 AM and I have been up reading and researching way too long. Unfortunately it has not been about distilling, it has been about engines and cams and lifters and all the other BS that goes with maintaining an old truck. I now know way more than I ever wanted to know about cams,and lifters and zinc and oil additives and how modern oils don't work for old trucks and beak in procedures :shifty: . I also know way more about the quirks of the 1972 AMC engine and what parts from the 1973, 4, and later engines can and can't interchange :crazy: What I want to be doing is sitting in my garage watching Bubblicious do her thing. I want to be running off that 30 gallons of Cheez-it wash that's been sitting there finished for 6 months. I want to run off all that apple cider I made this past summer and get the brandy aging in the barrel I got for Christmas. I want to turn that 100 LBS of panela that's been sitting in my garage calling me, into rum and I want to sit around and BS with you guys and have fun :roll: Hopefully soon I will get this damn engine finished and get that free time to do all that stuff but right now I'm having HD withdrawals :(