Photo posting walkthrough

The place to try out features like smilies, colored text, etc. Please delete your posts when you are done playing. (all topics expire after 7 days)

Moderator: Site Moderator

kiwistiller
Master Distiller

Photo posting walkthrough

Post by kiwistiller » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:56 pm

We get asked this a lot :D . The best way to but images in your post is to upload the images from your computer directly to Homedistiller. That way they won't disappear later on if the site you upload them to changes. Here is a click by click, made during the construction of this post. You'll have to click on the images to see them full size.
Click 'Upload attachment"
Step 1
Step 1
Click 'Browse'
Step 2
Step 2
Browse to the image you want, select it, and click open. Note this might look slightly different on your own computer, I use firefox and win7.
Step 3
Step 3
Type in a caption if wanted under 'File Comment' and click 'Add the file'
Step 4
Step 4
The image will upload to homedistiller, and you will see the posted attachments box appear. If you submit the post now it will be chucked in at the bottom, but we might as well go one step further and make the post look good by having the images inline, right? Right. Make a new line where you want the image to go, and click to place the cursor there. Then click the 'place inline' button. Something like this will appear there: "
Untitled-1.jpg[/atachment]". You're done! you can preview the post with pics before submitting by clicking 'preview', next to submit. [attachment=0]Untitled-6.jpg
Hope this helps.
Attachments
Step 5
Step 5
Three sheets to the wind!
My stuff

HookLine
retired

Re: Photo posting walkthrough

Post by HookLine » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:46 pm

Might be worth mentioning that if you go to 'Manage Attachments', in the User Control Panel, you can get the actual link address for each attachment, so you can reuse your attachments in other posts without having to re-upload the image again.

Copy highlighted link:
Attachment link.jpg
However, it does show up only as a link to the image, not the actual image like it in the original post. So it looks like this:

http://homedistiller.org/forum/download ... hp?id=4607

So viewers still have to click on the link to see the image.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.

LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:56 pm

HookLine wrote:Might be worth mentioning that if you go to 'Manage Attachments', in the User Control Panel, you can get the actual link address for each attachment, so you can reuse your attachments in other posts without having to re-upload the image again.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.

kiwistiller
Master Distiller

Post by kiwistiller » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:10 pm

he can't help himself.
Three sheets to the wind!
My stuff

Joshee
Novice

Post by Joshee » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:09 am

testing if i can post, sorry wasnt working before

Bull Rider
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bull Rider » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:49 am

Thanks Kiwi:

I didn't know about the "In Line" feature. Nice...
Life is hard, it's harder when you're stupid...

xjrockstomper
Novice

Post by xjrockstomper » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:37 am

what forms of files are supported by the uploader? i tried uploading a few differant file types and none would work.

rad14701
Master Distiller

Post by rad14701 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:17 pm

xjrockstomper wrote:what forms of files are supported by the uploader? i tried uploading a few differant file types and none would work.
What are you attempting to upload...??? JPG and PDF definitely work... As of right now the size limit is 2M, regardless of file type, but images don't need to be larger than ~100K or 800px for the largest dimension...

xjrockstomper
Novice

Post by xjrockstomper » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:45 pm

i was attempting to post what i wanted SC to build in my other thread. i had used paint to alter it and then saved it as a jpg. i think it was just too big.

ozone39
Rumrunner

Post by ozone39 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:36 pm

I found that skewing the picture on paint helps keep the picture from loading up like an over sized blimp on your screen. I usually cut by %40.....
thinking inside the box is for squares....