Still with bubble plates

Distillation methods and improvements.

Moderator: Site Moderator

rednose
Site Donor
Site Donor

Still with bubble plates

Post by rednose »

I'm tired of the SS scrubbers in my bok and was thinking to re-built it with this design which I found in an italian site talking about distilling grappa while HD was down.

Did someone tried this concept?

Could be one or three smaller caps and the distance between each plate much wider.

I know the built of OD and others that where working with plates but didn't find anything about bubble caps in small stills.

I don't need 94%, I'm very fine with 85% and I'm almost sure it can be archived with plates.
Attachments
bubble cup plates
bubble cup plates
Licensed Micro distillery "Bonanza"; fighting the local market
evilpsych
Swill Maker

Re: Bok with bubble plates

Post by evilpsych »

actually.. you dont need plates. 85% is hittable with a simple potstill (thumper increases chances).. Save yourself some effort for little ROI..

If you really want to build a plate bok, be prepared to run at least a 4" column.. Anything else is too small to be easily built. YMMV
I just realized that my life is a very complicated drinking game...
rednose
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rednose »

It will be a little fuzzy to do that, you're right.

Problem is that I can't get any 3" copper tube here. :cry:

I cut my finger today treating to get the bloody scrubbers out for cleaning after a run with plastic smelling booze, there is coming the idea from.

I use the bok only for small works now but love here.

Didn't try the Apollo with the new thumper yet.
evilpsych wrote: Anything else is too small to be easily built. YMMV
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

I'd think that bubble plates would be a bit tricky with a 2" column... As evilpsych mentioned, 4" would be better...

You could always opt for rolled structured copper packing like several folks here use... Might be a bit pricey up front but it should last a good long time...
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

In most situations there is no reason for you to remove the scrubbers to clean them. Just plug the bottom of the column, and back fill with hot water, maybe with some sodium carbonate, leave for ten minutes, then flush and rinse very well.

Bubble plates are a pain to clean, much more work than scrubbers. Also pretty fiddly to make for a 2" column. Can't see any advantage over scrubbers.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
rednose
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rednose »

Hmmm, maybe I should use that efforts for a bigger size in the future like you all mentioned and go for the copper scrabbers from Rad. Brewhaus sells those.

Usually I only pass water after a run and store it but this plastic shit ( http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 33&t=14370 ) stank that much that I wanted to boils 'em in vinegar. :?
HookLine wrote:In most situations there is no reason for you to remove the scrubbers to clean them. Just plug the bottom of the column, and back fill with hot water, maybe with some sodium carbonate, leave for ten minutes, then flush and rinse very well.

Bubble plates are a pain to clean, much more work than scrubbers. Also pretty fiddly to make for a 2" column. Can't see any advantage over scrubbers.
olddog
retired

Post by olddog »

It's easy enough to put plates into a 2" column. Build a series of plates mounted on a piece of 1/4" copper tubing or copper rod. Insert the assembly in from the base of the column and affix with a clip across the column.

OD
OLD DOG LEARNING NEW TRICKS ......
Barney Fife
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Barney Fife »

Yeah..., plates won't work at all in a 2" column. Nope. No sir..... No how.... :roll:
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Yeah..., plates won't work at all in a 2" column.
That ain't what people are saying, Barney.

And he is talking about bubble cap plates, which is a whole different game from the simple plates you and OD are using (IIRC).
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
olddog
retired

Post by olddog »

I don't have any "Barney" plates in my twin column. I removed them as being non effective. Both columns have perforated bubble plates.

OD
Barney Fife
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Barney Fife »

That ain't what people are saying, Barney.

Sorry, I should have quoted what I was referring to;

actually.. you dont need plates. 85% is hittable with a simple potstill (thumper increases chances).. Save yourself some effort for little ROI..

If you really want to build a plate bok, be prepared to run at least a 4" column.. Anything else is too small to be easily built. YMMV

And I know we're talking about bubble plates, but the above fella was dismissing them in a 2" column.
rednose
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rednose »

I would weld everything with TIG, next week I should have access to that, so the temp in elaboration isn't a biggy.

I'm sure that it can be built in one only day if 4 plates are used.

It'll be a relative short column and could be cleaned with vinagar and limes juice, we produce limes so I have a huge ammount.

Anyhow I'm not sure if the effect in a 2" column is worth the efforts but if I get 3" material I will try it.

Add: EP where is your post gone I was referring too? :shock:
evilpsych
Swill Maker

Post by evilpsych »

i dont know.. i couldnt access HD yesterday for the longest time. I had a couple posts go AWOL including one in 55gal ferments..
I just realized that my life is a very complicated drinking game...
kiwistiller
retired

Post by kiwistiller »

I'm pondering a 4 or 6" plate column at the moment... I have the opportunity to buy some very big copper pipes at virtually scrap value, and am umming and ahhing about it. I don't think I'd do it like a bok, I'd probably build a dephlegmator at the top, almost cm style. could be cool for a single run eau de vie, and maybe for my future adventures in absinthe.
Three sheets to the wind!
My stuff
Chasin' Tales
Novice

Post by Chasin' Tales »

Rednose - I made a 2" column w/ bubble cap plates.

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 50&t=13993

It was a much more tedious build than a simple column w/ packing. I personally enjoyed every minute of it though! So far I've been happy with the results but do have some modifications in mind based on recent runs. I have 12 plates, each w/ 4 bubble caps and one downcomer line. The bubble caps were made by placing 1/2 pipe w/ cap over 3/8 pipe coming up thru the plate. The downcomer line for each plate was made from 1/4" tubing.

I'm considering making a 4" or 6" column as well with ambitions of a commercial venture. I will probably add a dephlegmator of sorts on the top of the still. Have 3 weeks working offshore to ponder the design.

I tig welded everything. Something I'm considering for the next build is to use stainless steel pipe for the column and copper for the plates as it's possible and easy to tig weld copper to stainless. Much easier to locate 4" or 6" stainless pipe where I'm at.

Please let me know if you have any questions!
kiwistiller
retired

Post by kiwistiller »

just got my 4" pipe, at a steal of a price :D 3m of 2mm wall thickness. should be able to do something interesting with that...
My stuff
kiwistiller
retired

Post by kiwistiller »

and now I have the 6 inch, with 3mm wall thickness. less that scrap value too :D :D :D (that means I can buy it and not feel bad)

The bloody thing weighs 28 kilos :!:
My stuff
rednose
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rednose »

:shock: I want those tubes but nobody here in EC sells 'em. :(
kiwistiller wrote:and now I have the 6 inch, with 3mm wall thickness. less that scrap value too :D :D :D (that means I can buy it and not feel bad)

The bloody thing weighs 28 kilos :!:
Samohon
retired

Post by Samohon »

RD: Good luck with the build, I know you have been pondering the Idea for a few weeks....

Kiwi: Thats gonna be a monster. Keep us posted.

You guy's inspire the little people....
♦♦ Samohon ♦♦

Beginners should visit The New Distillers Reading Lounge and the Safety and Related Issues among others...
rednose
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rednose »

That's very similar to what I had in mind, great work on that, congrats.

What is the high above the plate for the 1/4 downcomers, or better said how many mm of liquid you have in each plate before it get's drained?

Do you have a design for a deplegmator?

I was searching around in the net but couldn't find any detailed drawings.

Kiwi, do you already have a deplegmator design in mind?

As I have few access to copper I'm thinking to built a 6 " head of SS something like the Holstein heads for flavor.
Chasin' Tales wrote:Rednose - I made a 2" column w/ bubble cap plates.

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 50&t=13993" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

It was a much more tedious build than a simple column w/ packing. I personally enjoyed every minute of it though! So far I've been happy with the results but do have some modifications in mind based on recent runs. I have 12 plates, each w/ 4 bubble caps and one downcomer line. The bubble caps were made by placing 1/2 pipe w/ cap over 3/8 pipe coming up thru the plate. The downcomer line for each plate was made from 1/4" tubing.

I'm considering making a 4" or 6" column as well with ambitions of a commercial venture. I will probably add a dephlegmator of sorts on the top of the still. Have 3 weeks working offshore to ponder the design.

I tig welded everything. Something I'm considering for the next build is to use stainless steel pipe for the column and copper for the plates as it's possible and easy to tig weld copper to stainless. Much easier to locate 4" or 6" stainless pipe where I'm at.

Please let me know if you have any questions!
kiwistiller
retired

Post by kiwistiller »

Samohon wrote: Kiwi: Thats gonna be a monster. Keep us posted.
You guy's inspire the little people....
Haha 6" is a long way off... it was more of an investment to grab it at ~scrap value ($200 for 3m, it retails at ~$1000 per m.). hopefully one day it might be the first commercial thing I do. Til now I'll just be staring at it. I kinda want to see if I can make it, just because? it certainly isn't a practical addition for a hobby stiller!

The 4" might be a viable short column for eau de vies etc... could also get a bloody big basket inside the 4". I am restrcited on gin runs in a 50l boiler with only a 2" column to pack. can't fit enough botanicals in to do more than about 12l at a time with peace of mind in terms of blockage.
rednose wrote:Kiwi, do you already have a deplegmator design in mind?
I would probably do a short coil I think. or potentially a jacket design. you might enjoy this vid.
My stuff
rednose
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rednose »

I'm not shure yet, still thinking loud but I might go for a shotgun deplagmator on 6".

Sorry for the crappy draft but I couldn't get customed to autocad never. :oops:
kiwistiller wrote:
Samohon wrote:
rednose wrote:Kiwi, do you already have a deplegmator design in mind?
I would probably do a short coil I think. or potentially a jacket design. you might enjoy this vid.
Attachments
h head2.jpg
kiwistiller
retired

Post by kiwistiller »

shotgun is prett appealing as well. especially lack of backpressure on pumps...
My stuff
rednose
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rednose »

Kiwi, can you built it first, please.

That way we can learn from the possible mistakes you make. :)

Other would be to wind 3 horizontal coils and connect 'em outside in a bigger cooling tube, would save a moutain of work on the shotgun thingy.
kiwistiller wrote:shotgun is prett appealing as well. especially lack of backpressure on pumps...
Chasin' Tales
Novice

Post by Chasin' Tales »

rednose wrote:That's very similar to what I had in mind, great work on that, congrats.

What is the high above the plate for the 1/4 downcomers, or better said how many mm of liquid you have in each plate before it get's drained?

Do you have a design for a deplegmator?

I was searching around in the net but couldn't find any detailed drawings.

Kiwi, do you already have a deplegmator design in mind?

As I have few access to copper I'm thinking to built a 6 " head of SS something like the Holstein heads for flavor.
The downcome extends about about 38 mm above the plate. There is 140 mm between plates. I was thinking about a simple cold finger for the dephlegmator. Will probably add a external condenser on the takeoff line. Also considering about scraping the upper plates and doing a combo bubble cap/packed column using a bok plate design and a crossflow condenser I am using on another column. Got a lot of ideas floating around my head...need to get them sorted out.

I wouldn't hesitate using stainless steel. As long as there is some copper in the vapor path you will be good to go. If you are going to be tig welding copper, I suggest using 7% phosphorous/93% copper filler rods if available near you. If not, weldfabulous.com has them for a reasonable price.

On a side not, my girlfriend and I have been entertaining the idea of visiting Ecuador with the possibility of moving there sometime. Would love to get your thoughts as a foreigner living there.
rednose
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rednose »

Thanks for the info CT.

I will use removeable copper caps (top screwed), that should be enough copper in the vapor path.

To the EC trip, just send me a PM and we can discuss that matter.
Chasin' Tales wrote:
I wouldn't hesitate using stainless steel. As long as there is some copper in the vapor path you will be good to go. If you are going to be tig welding copper, I suggest using 7% phosphorous/93% copper filler rods if available near you. If not, weldfabulous.com has them for a reasonable price.

On a side not, my girlfriend and I have been entertaining the idea of visiting Ecuador with the possibility of moving there sometime. Would love to get your thoughts as a foreigner living there.
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kentucky shinner »

your gonna have to post pics when you finish with this.. How about taking some pics during the build. I would love to see how your doing this.
Shinner
olddog
retired

Post by olddog »

Has anyone got any designs for a dephlegmator?
Chasin' Tales
Novice

Post by Chasin' Tales »

oldog - It's my understanding that a dephlegmator is simply a fancy name for a condenser on top of a rectifying column. By strict definition, it's only a partial condenser. By loose definition, a condenser on top of a BOK column could be a dephlegmator.

dephlegmator - a device surmounting the rectifying column of a still whose function is to condense portions of the vapours rich in high boiling point constituents and return the condensate to the column as reflux.

Given this, a simple coil condenser w/ regulated water flow would probably be the easiest.
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

A condenser is still a condenser by any other name.

They all do the same basic thing in the same basic way, induce a gas->liquid phase change by controlling the flow of heat.

There are design variations on the theme, but they are all still condensers. 8)
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.