Still Spirits Reflux pipe work question

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Post Reply
MrCat

Still Spirits Reflux pipe work question

Post by MrCat »

Ok - I've got a Still Spirits Reflux still.

Just thinking something through here.

I was looking at the SS reflux instructions (as I have done many times) but I've never noticed this before.

Image
reflux by Mister_Cat, on Flickr

The output (cooler water) goes to the bottom of the jacket and the warmer waste water comes out of the top. From what I have read etc the vaper should be cooled as it goes up through the column (even a short column like this) but with the suggested configuration you are putting the cool water in at the bottom which is the opposite of this
Image
on this thread http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 46&t=13360

I think I should swap the pipes over so C goes to E and the waste water comes out from D.

Thoughts ?
ozone39
Rumrunner
Posts: 659
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:14 am
Location: Big Sky Country

Re: Still Spirits Reflux pipe work question

Post by ozone39 »

I generally feed the condensers and cooling coils from the bottom up. Eliminates air entrapment and allows better control for flow rates....
thinking inside the box is for squares....
rad14701
retired
Posts: 20865
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:46 pm
Location: New York, USA

Re: Still Spirits Reflux pipe work question

Post by rad14701 »

That CM design is not properly depicting the coolant flow - unless there is a water valve on the columns reflux condenser jacket outlet... With unimpeded water flow the water should always go in the bottom and out the top, even if it means not running in counter-flow fashion... As ozone39 stated, you don't want air voids anywhere in the cooling circuit...
MrCat

Re: Still Spirits Reflux pipe work question

Post by MrCat »

Thanks guys :)
kiwistiller
retired
Posts: 3215
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:09 pm
Location: Auckland, NZ

Re: Still Spirits Reflux pipe work question

Post by kiwistiller »

My fault, error in my little sketch there. Feel like editing a note under it in that post in the reading lounge, rad?
Three sheets to the wind!
My stuff
rad14701
retired
Posts: 20865
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:46 pm
Location: New York, USA

Re: Still Spirits Reflux pipe work question

Post by rad14701 »

kiwistiller wrote:My fault, error in my little sketch there. Feel like editing a note under it in that post in the reading lounge, rad?
Done...
Post Reply